Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

The Automotive Thread

Discussion in 'Permanent Threads' started by Backroom, Oct 19, 2009.

1. dixiebandit69

dixiebandit69
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Hell yeah, thanks!

Fun fact: I've never driven a 2nd gen Firebird, only 3rd and 4th gens.

2. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

3. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Today was a long day full of idiots, but had an excellent outcome.

B40BBC47-782D-44CD-83D4-7AC37FE739BC.jpeg

4. Improper

Improper
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Excellent!

Congratulations, Nett. Long time coming to fruition, must feel awesome.

5. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Thanks!

Currently making a list of all the shit that I have to get set up to handle it now... as in I don't have 50 amp service in the garage so it doesn't have enough shore power to run all the things (the 2 AC units are the main draw).

I'm now in the process of creating a new "starlink outlet" for it where I can connect the sat connection into the trailer beside the normal cable/sat connections (calls for some use of the 3d printer and some Power Over Ethernet junction boxes, and a bit of internal cable routing that is not going to be fun). But in the end, I'm happy.

I have it outfitted with 300 watts of solar panels, with 5 huge batteries (3 more than normal), so that I should be able to work from it off of shore power for quite a while.

The only thing I'm not happy about was that I didn't know that you could not run the AC from the batteries, only shore power. But everything else rocks... the hot water on demand is all propane, the fridge is shore or propane, etc.

Just a little bit of shopping to do now... first up is a proper espresso maker that the batteries/inverter can handle.

6. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I went out for lunch today, and the buyer was in the parking lot taking the battery out of the truck, 70+ days since he bought it.

Me: Hey, man.
    Him: Hey, sorry it took me so long to come back.
    Me: Yeah, I didn't know if you died or what.
    Him: Yeah.
    *awkward pause*
    Me: I was starting it every couple days. But, I haven't started it in probably 3 weeks.
    Him: I'm going to get a new battery.
    Me: That one was brand new right before I sold you the truck. So, maybe it just needs to be charged up.
    Him: Okay.
    Me: Welp. Enjoy.

Narrator: The truck is still in the parking lot 4 hours later.

7. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

The hassle right now is that I have a totally different 50 amp outlet in the garage than what I need, and it's a real pain in the ass to find a proper converter that will properly bridge the two hots on the trailer side.

8. AFHokie

AFHokie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Would a generator that is small enough to fit in the truck bed, or in the trailer and you can move by yourself supply enough to run the AC? I'd hate to think your only options are shore power or no AC. I know for me, that would piss me off if I couldn't use the AC unless I'm parked somewhere with shore power available.

9. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

A 3000w is enough to run a normal sized AC unit in a normal sized trailer. The biggest problem is the initial spike in power used or you could go a bit smaller. If you have a double AC unit like Nett of course you would need more but a single AC a small honda inverter generator is enough.

10. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I have 2 Honda 2200i's, which, when connected, output a solid 30amps full time. That's more than enough. They are easy to transport (less than 50lbs each), and super quiet. Run forever on a tank. Way cheaper than any single generator solution I've found. I've had the first unit for years... and just recently picked up the companion for under $1500.

https://powerequipment.honda.com/generators/parallel-capability

[​IMG]

As it is I'm in the process of finding a larger than 1000w inverter that came standard. No sense having shit-tons of batteries and only having 1000w available from the outlets.

11. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I'm also looking at getting a kick-ass capacitor to help lessen the initial kick-on spike. I figure between that, and setting the ACs at different temps so that they don't come on at the same time will cover me.

First world problems, eh?

12. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

The other option is that I'm getting the new truck with the 450amp alternator on it... that should be more than enough to wire direct into an inverter so the truck (and it's extended fuel tanks) can act as shore power if needed.

13. GTE

GTE
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

@Nettdata Do you have helper bags on your truck? Looks almost identical to my truck and the first time I towed the Nova, it made the rear sag apprx 4 inches. Installed the helper bags and it tows like a new rig

14. Fiveslide

Fiveslide
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Weight distribution hitch. They are awesome. See those metal bars with the chains going up to the tongue of the trailer? That's the hitch.

15. GTE

GTE
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Now that I looked closer I do. Buddy of mine had those on his 28' enclosed trailer and said the same thing. Thanks.

16. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Exactly that. It's got massive weight distribution bars as well as double anti-sway bars to reduce side-to-side wobble. (Basically friction plates on some pistons that you can adjust to provide turning resistance).

17. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

The new 3500 HD will have a .410 rear end and full on air bag suspension as well, so it'll tow a hell of a lot better than this 1500 Sierra. (It currently has the 5.7L, but that's no comparison to the 6.7L Cummins). This is a bit "floaty", but still a hell of a lot easier to tow than my old race trailer.

18. Fiveslide

Fiveslide
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yep. Without that hitch that Gay Man's Chevy would be squatting like crazy and really light on the steer axle. Money well spent on a good distribution hitch, makes towing so much safer.

19. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Yep... even thought the tongue weight is only 850lbs, still a huge difference.

20. GTE

GTE
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

5.3?