Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

The Automotive Thread

Discussion in 'Permanent Threads' started by Backroom, Oct 19, 2009.

1. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse
    Alone in the dark, drooling on himself

The fucking desert. I hate the fucking desert.
    If you were so intent on endangering her and others on the roadways you should've just pushed all the chips in and turned her loose in a Hellcat. With a manual transmission.

2. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Ha. The car is incredibly easy to drive. Friend of mine taught his kid to drive in one. It's only when you WANT to go fast that you really CAN go fast.

Besides, I've got faith in her... she was a bush pilot for years (that's how she met Dad), and used to drive my old Superbird with a 440 6-pack in it.

She'll be fine.

3. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse

Wait a minute here....you had a Superbird? Damn.

Fun little fact....I remember seeing 'birds on the dealer lot when I was a kid. It was in '72 after I convinced my mom she had to buy a Duster (Slant 6, 3 on the tree. Yawn.) and apparently the 'birds were left over inventory. I've heard tales of deep discounts on unsold ones and even one they yanked the Hemi out of and just left the car to rot.

4. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Yep... it was my high school ride. 20' long, bright orange, 4' wing on the back. It was fucking awesome.

5. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Yeah, I miss that car. The engine was shit when I bought it, and I blew it up, couldn't afford to fix it, so sold it for cheap to a guy who turned it into a 460 6-pack.

6. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse

I had a '71 Charger R/T with 440 Mag, a big, lumpy cam and a Holley, that was something like 19 feet long. It was huge, but it went like hell. Tranny was shot...it shifted like Jell-O, but I loved that thing. If we only knew what we had eh?

7. Puffman

Puffman
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Wait, you not only had a Superbird, but it was a factory 440 6pack? Next you are going to tell me it was a bucket seat 4 speed with a tic toc tachometer. Yeah, I am not envious in the least.

8. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Ha. That's what I wanted too, as a few friends had Chargers... but there weren't any around, so this one had to do.

Yeah, but it was thrashed when I bought it, and I really only got to drive it for a couple of months before I grenaded the engine. I could barely afford the car in the first place, never mind fix it.

I had no idea what I was buying, which was a cool looking car with a shit-ton of mechanical problems that were just time bombs waiting to go off.

9. GTE

GTE
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Nice!

Are car prices nuts up in the great white North also? I seriously contemplated selling my car as I can sell it for $15-20k more than I paid for it. But, all I'd do is take that money and put it towards someone else's overpriced car.

10. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I know truck prices are fucking nuts right now.

11. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

This is actually a really, really good price for the car... even pre-pandemic. Right now it sounds like the big problem is the delivery time for new Porsches. They are so backed up that it's more than a year out, if you can get an allocation. I had a friend cancel his order because they couldn't guarantee a new delivery before 2022, as that's when a HUGE "we have to pay for the pandemic" luxury tax hits anything over $100k, so it was an additional 36% on the car. He's instead trying to find something faster/used if he can.

12. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Yeah, I'm glad I placed my order months ago when the prices weren't as nuts as they are now. Inventory is hard to find due to delays in the factories. All the "just in time" logistics went out the fucking window with COVID and they're screwed for a while.

13. GTE

GTE
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Congrats on the good deal. Rare words to hear these days.

But wait, 36% luxury tax?! So a $100k car is now $136k?

14. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

15. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

That's the Federal luxury tax, and some Provinces are adding their own on top of that.

16. GTE

GTE
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Step son's 2006 Ford Escape (I4, FWD, non-hybrid 180k-ish) was driving home and he said the radio turned off, gauges went to zero, steering became really difficult (assuming it's elec P/S?) and then shut off after a block or so. Won't start now. I asked him if it just turns over or won't run. He said it starts for a moment and then shuts off. Battery terminals don't look corroded. Maybe a bad alternator which eventually killed the battery?

17. dixiebandit69

dixiebandit69
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Try jump starting it and see what happens.
    Sounds like a bad alternator, except for the starting-then-dying part.

18. GTE

GTE
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I was hoping you'd be online. Thanks.
    When he says it starts and stops, I think he means it's just cranking over.

I put our shop jump box and voltmeter in the truck and I think I'll grab an alternator on the way home so I have it and won't have to head back out. Worst case is I have to return it.

19. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Screwed up voltage regulator?

20. GTE

GTE
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Well, that was a royal pain in the ass. I jumped it, started right up, took the jumper box off and just watched the battery voltage drop like a rock. Ford, in all of their infinite wisdom put the Alt on the back, bottom of the motor. Ford's instructions are to undo half the suspension, pull the RT axle out and drop it down from the bottom. Found a YouTube guy who shows how you can pull it out from the top by removing one of the Alt studs and loosening some other items. That kind of worked but the model in the YouTube video was slightly different and my step son's Escape which has the AC dryer right in the way. Fought that bastard for 30 minutes Monday night trying to get it physically out of the engine bay. It was now dark, I'm filthy, my arms and hands are scraped to shit. I gave up. The car won.

I readied myself to pull the RT axle yesterday but thought I'd take one more look at removing it from the top. Decided to take the exhaust heat shield off to give me another 1/4" of clearance. First bolt broke. Neat. Zip tied some stuff out of the way, removed a bolt from some bracket that the Alt kept getting caught on, loosened the AC dryer and fought that MF'er for another 15 minutes but was able to barely sneak it out of there. The aftermarket Alt didn't have some large plastic cap that the OEM did so it dropped in pretty easy. Buttoned it up. Gave it a jump and checked the battery. Steady 14.2 volts. Drove around for a bit to charge the battery and runs flawless.