Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

The Automotive Thread

Discussion in 'Permanent Threads' started by Backroom, Oct 19, 2009.

1. Fiveslide

Fiveslide
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Oh yeah, I get that. If I could afford it without sacrificing in other areas, I'd spend that much on the biggest, baddest truck, too.

You know I have a lot of toys, the camper is the heaviest at 7k+ when fully loaded. Still about 2,000 pounds under my titan's towing capacity.

My next boat is going to be big enough that you need a Freightliner, custom hydraulic trailer with adjustable supports and a wide load permit to haul it down the road. Still won't need to upgrade from the Nissan.

Air conditioned seats are fuckin nice.

2. Fiveslide

Fiveslide
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I was wondering if you bought a boat yet? Still shopping or you got one?

3. GTE

GTE
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Thinking of waiting a year or two. Prices are just too ridiculous right now.

4. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

No shit.

Friend of mine that was looking at that custom boat a couple months ago figured, "we'll just wait until the prices fall as everyone loses their jobs and sells their toys."

Last night I asked him how that was working out for him, and he told me to go fuck myself.

Apparently some inventories are backlogged 1-2 years.

5. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

my f250 had ac seats. Great for keeping donuts warm on the way home

6. Fiveslide

Fiveslide
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I bought our pontoon June of last year, I made a full price cash offer over the phone within about 25 minutes of it being posted. I considered myself lucky to find one under $10,000. Didn't even get to test drive it. It worked out, but that could have been an expensive mistake because of the pressure to buy it before someone else did.

7. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I sold my truck over a week ago. (I had it on Autotrader for over a month, and got no serious inquiries. I put it on Craigslist and sold it in less than 24 hours.) The guy who bought it came from out of town, a few hours away. He paid cash. He was by himself. So, he said he would come back in a few days with a ride, so he could pick it up. I told him it was fine to leave it in my office parking lot until then. I signed the title over to him, I put the cash in the bank, I canceled my insurance and registration. He still hasn't come to get it.

The parking lot isn't crowded, and I don't think the landlord cares. But, like at some point . . . I'm going to feel bad for him if it gets vandalized or stolen or something. I'm sure it's just taking longer than he anticipated to get back to it, but like, what happens if two months go by? Do I have any obligation to . . . I don't know, report it to . . . I don't know, somebody?

8. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Send him a text or some other court-verifiable message that says this.

Ensure that he has actually registered it in his name. You may still be the official registered owner despite the signed paperwork if the DMV isn’t informed.

9. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

He hasn't replied to a follow-up call or text.

I am not the official owner anymore. Georgia has a cancellation law and voluntary registration cancellation procedure. It's really easy on the website. (And, I have a confirmation number and form printed out.)

He signed the Bill of Sale I gave him, but he wanted to Title it in his wife's name, he said, so he didn't fill out the Title when I signed it over. I didn't care either way. He understood English just fine, but didn't speak it fluently. However, we didn't have any trouble communicating everything clearly, at the time.

10. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Man... hope the guy isn't on a ventilator somewhere or got hit by a car.

Not sure what to do at this point.

11. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I dunno. He'll probably show up eventually. It's just curious.

12. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

If anyone wanted an update . . . my old truck is still in my office parking lot. I've never heard anything back from the buyer. It's been 3 weeks. I've been starting it up once a week and letting it run for a minute.

13. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

That's just weird.

What's your plan?

14. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I am not sure. Everything I've found online are for things like if a buyer doesn't show, or what to do if they drive off and a month later they've not registered the vehicle in their name. But, I definitely have the cancellation receipt from the Georgia's tag office, I definitely cancelled the insurance, and I have a copy of the Bill of Sale we both signed. I don't want my landlord being annoyed, but so far, it's not causing any grief. It's out of the way, and there is plenty of parking. But, I mean, eventually, if somebody bashes windows out and steals the tires, he wouldn't like a junker sitting there. (I'd tell him, and then I guess he can have it towed away.) If somebody hits it in the parking lot, it'd be there fault, but that would be complicated, probably. I can't insure it on my auto policy, because it's not registered and I don't have the title. I think I have a clause in my business office policy that covers some liability. I'm waiting on a call back.

I guess I can call an attorney, but I'm not sure what I'd ask them.

15. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I'd almost be tempted to tow it to the public street and let the city handle it.

16. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I don't think I'd do that, but I definitely considered calling the landlord, and asking him to tow it. The guy who bought it told me he was coming back in a few days, and he put a Club on the steering wheel. I gave him two keys and two clicking key fobs. I asked him if he wanted me to keep a key, in case something came up (who knew), and he said yes. Then, he gave me the key to the Club, in case something came up. So, if it gets towed, I still have the key to the Club.

It's so weird.

17. Zach

Zach
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Not to be too morbid but have you scanned obituaries for the guy's name. Maybe he dropped dead after the sale and his family doesn't know the vehicle is there.

18. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yes. No luck there, either. He specifically told me he wanted to title in his wife's name, but I don't know if that was because he is here illegally or something, or he just wanted it in her name. So, I don't know if there would be a record if he's dead or in the hospital.

19. GTE

GTE
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

In CA you can put a request to the DMV to find the last registered owner for $5. Takes a few weeks though. At least that will tell you if he put it in his wife's name or not.

20. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Sounds like 4chan is your only option at this point.