Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

The Automotive Thread

Discussion in 'Permanent Threads' started by Backroom, Oct 19, 2009.

1. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I really don't think this is the final form.

I've seen some in-truck footage, and it very much looks like a prototype still... and those body panels? Stupidly easy to bash out compared to a real body.

And all of his new spaceships are made of stainless steel.

So... when you have stainless steel fab shops out the wazoo, need some shit done in a hurry for a release, I can see this being the final result.

Personally, I'm looking at this more like a prototype to show off the platform, and am ignoring the cosmetics.

2. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

(I'd still drive the fuck out of one though).

3. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

Everyone is shitting on the truck online and I don’t get it. The thing obviously doesn’t look the greatest, but it’s also a new concept and that’s going to feel uncomfortable.

I think it’s cool. Especially with the air suspension and the ability to run air tools and 220v straight off the truck. If their charging network was more expansive I’d consider it. I live a few miles from a Tesla dealership but the idea of doing road trips with the thing scares me.

4. AFHokie

AFHokie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The body panels are reportedly bullet resistant up to 9mm. Musk would've impressed me by emptying a 30rd mag through an MP5 at the thing

5. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

6. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse
    Alone in the dark, drooling on himself

The fucking desert. I hate the fucking desert.
    Best comment I've seen on the Tesla..."Finally someone is building the car I drew when I was 5."

Honestly that thing is a fucking abortion. I hope to hell Musk is kidding, because it really does look like a 5 year old designed it. And a retarded one at that.

Thanks for the advice, but I went with the 2.5 in/out for a few reasons. Since this is my daily I really don't want to deviate from stock because once you start changing stuff up, something else becomes weaker and breaks. I'm not concerned about more flow, I just wanted a bit more growl. I know how restrictive the stock system is...my 300ZX n/a I upgraded to a 2.5" cat back and on my 300ZX turbo I had a 3" system on it, so yeah...for this engine 2.5" is not optimum. But it works.

Another reason for staying with a direct replacement is I don't trust some random guy in a muffler shop to modify my car in any way, shape or form. Ain't happening.

7. Danger Boy

Danger Boy
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

In a flyover state hoping your plane crashes
    Delorean owner here. The panels on my car can be fixed with paintless dent repair, however they are very expensive to replace if they're damaged beyond repair. But it looks like the panels on the Cybertruck are much, much more dent resistant.

8. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

So this should be fun...
    Screen Shot 2019-11-25 at 10.40.44 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2019-11-25 at 10.37.51 PM.jpg

Say what you will about Elon, but fuck is he a lot of fun to watch.

I can't help but think that a bunch of Ford engineers are coming into the office tomorrow, get hauled into a meeting, then say, "wait... you said what now?"

I would love to see the Mythbusters do a reunion show that is a 1-hour shootout special.

9. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Never mind that he just did a role in Rick and Morty playing "Elon Tusk"....

Screen Shot 2019-11-25 at 10.44.20 PM.jpg

10. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

pure entertainment right there. Not sure an EV vs a combustion engine will ever be an apples to apples test though. The real fun will be when Ford does their all electric f150 and seeing how that stacks up against Tesla.

11. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

The thing is, I think that at the price point, the Cybertruck takes the F-150 pretty solidly.

I really want to see how Ford deals with it, because I have no doubt that Elon will drop one of his teams and a truck off ASAP.

You cannot beat the control and instant torque of an electric drive... never mind that it's the best possible traction control available. I can see the CT just optimize the pull from the start and walk away with it.

I mean, the 3-motor setup does 0-60 in under 3 seconds. Think about the power train required to pull that off.

12. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

the thing is it is priced a lot closer to the super duty then the half tonnes

13. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

I want to see how ford deals with it too. Because when there’s major competition, the consumer wins.

I love my f250 SD to death. But in a few years when it’s time for me to get a new one, an EV truck isn’t out of the question. I’ll be watching this closely.

14. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

And Elon is all about competition... he has no problem competing, and losing, because he genuinely believes everyone wins in the end.

I think Ford just picked a fight they didn't quite think through...

15. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

A lot of people - would not surprise me if "Ford" is included - have in their mind electric vehicles = short range, small, weak because of the early little beep-beep EVs. They don't know the improvements that have been made by entrepreneurs and innovators while they've been taking tax credits for old tech.

16. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Their own vehicle offerings speak volumes.

I'm super intrigued by the Porsche Taycan. i also find it hilarious that the models include the Turbo and Turbo S... for an EV. (Done to match the same models in the ICE cars, so people properly understand the pecking/prestige order, no doubt).

17. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

And to put the power of the CyberTruck in perspective... it accelerates 0-60 faster than Porsche's top end EV sports car.

18. GTE

GTE
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Having roots in a lot of red neck shit, I can say that weight is more important than power (within reason of course). Take two identical F-150's, add 500lbs of ballast to the bed of one truck and I bet that truck wins repeatedly. Seeing as how the CT is made from 3mm stainless steel panels and a bunch of batteries, I'm thinking it weighs a lot. So even if Ford brings one of their F250's (which are aluminum bodied), I bet the CT drags it's ass.

19. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Weight is relational to traction. Tire type/size/inflation and contact patch, coupled with the downward force, will increase traction. I think you're absolutely correct in that the CT is heavier, and should have increased traction (depending on tire details).

At that point it's all about torque, and I have no doubt the EV will out-torque the ICE at zero/low RPM. (It does 0-60 in under 3 fucking seconds!)

Gas:

[​IMG]

Electric:
    [​IMG]

In a tug of war like that? CT all the way, baby.

20. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I think these things are in the works for all the reasons you said. One of my clients got to meet Musk last year, along with others who a pre-order deposit down for a future commercial truck.