Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

The Automotive Thread

Discussion in 'Permanent Threads' started by Backroom, Oct 19, 2009.

1. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

That is messed up because the C/K trucks had horrible manual windows and there were tons of aftermarket manual regulators for those vehicles.

2. dixiebandit69

dixiebandit69
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Hey Toytoy, check this out:
    https://www.a1electric.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=AEOS&Product_Code=GM70-K

It's an electric conversion kit, for a good price.

Tomorrow is my day off, and I was planning to go to a huge junkyard that has a good number of 4th gen F-bodies.

If I find one that has manual windows that works good, do you want me to pick it up?

3. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

4. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse
    Alone in the dark, drooling on himself

The fucking desert. I hate the fucking desert.
    Hell yes! That would be a huge help! Thank you.

5. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Not many people have a local one any more, they want to be amazon and closed all there stores. We went from spending 1+mill a year to under 300k. But you should be able to find 3m everywhere.

6. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Had it delivered today thanks to Amazon... thanks for the advice.

7. dixiebandit69

dixiebandit69
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Toytoy, I've got good news and bad news: I found THREE left hand manual assemblies today, and they all worked... But they were riveted in at the factory, and I had no way of removing them.
    If you don't mind waiting, I can get you one (one was out of a really nice looking early '00s Camaro) , but it won't be until next week.
    And I'm not going to hold you over a barrel on the price.

8. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

That could be why i have seen some rivet kits for window regulators.

9. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse

That will work. Thanks.

I need to pick up some of the rivets from GM...apparently aluminum is to weak and steel will mess up the composite door material, so they used steel jacketed aluminum. Of course nothing can be simple...

Let me know and I can Paypal you the money, send a money order, whatever works for you.

10. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse

After a lot of procrastinating I finally bit the bullet and ordered the exhaust tips I wanted. With taxes and shipping they were $223. For exhaust tips. (Yeah, I know....that's why I procrastinated so long.) I finally said "Fuck it" and bought them. They're basically the stock exhaust tips but in stainless instead of the "Black Chrome" GM originally installed.

magna.jpg

I hate spending that much on something just purely for aesthetics, but it just seemed to me something was missing at the ass end of the car....and that something was shiny exhaust tips. I could've got chrome ones for half the price, but while I skimp on a lot of things (Living arrangements, health care)....I never skimp on my cars. I am an idiot.

I also picked up the original GM NOS trim for around the rear glass, over the years mine has shrunk and separated. It was another $200, but that trim really, really annoyed me.

11. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse

Got an e-mail from Jegs today that the price had dropped on a Flowmaster series 80 muffler....to just over $100 shipped. One is now on the way. I dig that the series 80 growls at idle with out being obnoxious.

#2851 toytoy88, Nov 16, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2019
  12. dixiebandit69

dixiebandit69
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Toytoy, take some advice from a guy who has driven F-Bodies for over ten years:
    1) Get the 80 series with the 3" inlet. It flows better.
    2) Go back to Jegs, or Summit (that's who I use) and get a pair of 3", 3-bolt exhaust flanges, AND WELD THEM TO THE MUFFLER'S INLET. I'll get to the reason why in a minute*.
    Like this:
    Exhaust flange - KIMG0473[1].jpg
    3) Next, peruse their exhaust hanger section, and get yourself some good hanger mounts.
    This is what I used on Jungle Julia's car, and yes, I did modify some stuff, so you will have to get that done (I don't think you have your own welder, and that's cool), but it makes it REALLY EASY to take the muffler/ tailpipe assembly off.
    Here's a picture: https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/ltx-lsx/758706-4-8-swap-factory.html#post6299821
    4) Cut off the driver's side tailpipe outlet. There is a restriction on that side (both of them, really, but it's easiest to do the driver's side, and most of the gasses go out through that side. I'll ad a picture tomorrow. You can do this yourself.) that you can eliminate easily.
    5) Go to the hardware store, and buy the proper stainless steel bolts/ nuts for all of this. You don't want to use anything other than stainless on exhaust systems. Trust me.
    6) Lastly, have you planned on adding a cat-back 3" exhaust system for this? Because the factory 2.5" exhaust tubing is pretty restrictive for an engine with as much power as you have.

*The reason I'm making a big deal about bolt-on flanges and hangers is because if you ever have to remove the fuel tank on one of these cars, YOU NEED TO REMOVE THE MUFFLER/ TAILPIPE ASSEMBLY.
    If everything is welded together (which is what most muffler shops do, from the actual exhaust pipes to the hangers), an average automotive shop will have to cut EVERYTHING, and then it will have to be rewelded.
    Toytoy, if you ever have to change your fuel pump, YOU WILL HAVE TO DROP THAT MUFFLER, UNLESS you want to cut holes into the body of your car.

Ask if you want any other details; I can talk on this for a long time.

13. GTE

GTE
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It's been over four years since I was able to do this...

14. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

15. dixiebandit69

dixiebandit69
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

How can it be a truck if it doesn't have a bed?

EDIT: Elon Musk really needs to have someone else present this stuff; his stammering drags the performance down.

16. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I am assuming you posted that before you watched the video. It has a bed, and the tailgate has a built in ramp, and the electric ATV that the dude rode into the bed was plugged into the charging port in the bed. So, that was pretty cool.

Yeah, it certainly wasn't slick. But, it kinda gives it that "no bullshit" feel, instead of some paid huckster who doesn't even believe in the product he's pitching.

17. dixiebandit69

dixiebandit69
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

You're right; I only watched the first minute or so at work.

Apparently the internet is going nuts shitting all over the looks of this thing:
    EJ-ozjlVAAA0MzT.jpg

18. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

"Hey, throw the rock at that window!"
    "You sure?"
    "Yes!"

*SMASH*

_fuck_

"Here, try this window instead"
    "you sure?"
    "yes!"
    "you REALLY sure?"
    "yes!"

*SMASH*

_well fuck who could have seen that coming_

(ever the engineer) --> "Well, we have room for improvement..."

I love it, and personally, I'd rather see more engineers who do this stuff do the unveiling... not some paid-for marketing hack who gets all the right inflections.

It's one of the reasons I love watching the staff-run SpaceX launch streams... they are NOT the right person to be on TV, but they're the ones who built the fucking thing that's on the launch pad, and their excitement and pride is infectious and fun to watch.

19. dixiebandit69

dixiebandit69
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Oh, one last thing I want to say about this: The body is unpainted stainless steel.

At least one board member on here knows that DeLorean tried this before, and it pretty much necessitates replacing whatever body panel gets dented because you can't paint over it.

20. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast