Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

The Automotive Thread

Discussion in 'Permanent Threads' started by Backroom, Oct 19, 2009.

1. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Thanks. It is so weird if it's the switch. New one lasted less than 90 days.

2. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse
    Alone in the dark, drooling on himself

The fucking desert. I hate the fucking desert.
    Stereo is in. As always, not without difficulties. Crutchfield said I have 5 1/4's in the door and 6 1/2's in the rear, so I bought accordingly. My door speakers just so happen to also be 6 1/2's, so I had to buy another pair of Polk Audio speakers. Then it turns out the head is not compatible with my 5th gen ipod, so I had to order a 5th gen ipod touch so I can play something other then the 1 CD I still have. As far as how it sounds? Meh, but that could just be the sound quality of the CD. I hope. We'll see when I get the new ipod.

Also, I was at a light today and the guy next to me started revving at me. I heard a familiar whine, looked over, and immediately saw the Hellcat badge on his front fender...I told him to go pick on someone his own size, which got a laugh out of him. Damn kids, picking on an old man in a Camaro.

3. Trakiel

Trakiel
    Expand Collapse
    Call me Caitlyn. Got any cake?

Fucking bottomed out my car on a pothole hidden by a puddle yesterday and now I've got a rattle near the rear driver's side wheel. I went under my car and checked everything out and couldn't find anything that seemed out of place or broken, so my guess it's a heat shield. Those were the only things I wasn't able to confirm were still on tight. So fucking annoying.

4. Danger Boy

Danger Boy
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

In a flyover state hoping your plane crashes
    Ordered an aftermarket full stainless exhaust system for my Delorean yesterday. Also got some modern cooling fans and a few other goodies. Can't wait to get it put together to see how it sounds.

5. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

You may also want to check for a rock or something that might have been jammed up behind the rock guard, heat sheild, etc. Same thing happened to me and it was just a loose pebble that was jammed in there and rattling around.

6. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I assume it was a Flux Capacitor.
    https://www.oreillyauto.com/flux-capacitor

I think I make the same joke every time you post about your Delorean, but that's because it's awesome and I'm jealous.

7. Danger Boy

Danger Boy
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Every time I stop somewhere in the Delorean. Every time. Someone always makes a BTTF reference, or a fact about Deloreans that isn't even close to true, or both. Every BTTF reference is followed by a stupid grin, waiting for my reaction, like I haven't already heard it over and over again.
    I have to be a good sport about it, though. It's just something that comes with having one of these awesome cars. Unless it's one of my friends. They get the "Good one, you fucking retard" reply.

8. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

You know they're old when they go straight to the cocaine reference and bypass BTTF altogether... (I mean, after all, 60lbs of coke is a shit-ton of coke)

But seriously... what did you expect was going to happen when you bought a FUCKING DELOREAN? lol

9. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

But does it go up to 88 MPH?

10. Danger Boy

Danger Boy
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Sure, if you want to reach the parameters necessary for time travel, but it'll go 115 according to GPS.

11. Trakiel

Trakiel
    Expand Collapse
    Call me Caitlyn. Got any cake?

Ended up being a bracket that held my exhaust got pushed out of position; just needed to be re-adjusted so my exhaust wasn't vibrating against my frame. I'm annoyed that I didn't find that when I was under the car looking for issues, but my mechanic only charged me 67 bucks, so I'm glad the fix was cheap.

12. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse

Welcome to the world of owning a classic car. It does get annoying at times. My '66 Impala and my '68 RS/SS drew attention wherever I went and most of the time I was more then happy to talk with folks, but every now and then I just wanted to buy a 12 pack or something and someone wanted to tell me about their old car that was rusted out, engine less, and sunk in their stock pond...but, by God, they were going to fix it up someday. I'm just thankful I only drew the attention of idiots with mullets and stock ponds, I can only imagine drawing the attention of every idiot who's seen BTTF.

13. dixiebandit69

dixiebandit69
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Have any of y'all ever changed the third brake on a 5th generation Camaro?

Just me, huh?

Because it is A BITCH AND A HALF.
    You have to remove EVERYTHING behind the front seats; rear seats, side panels, speaker cover, all of it.

I swear I am not making this up, and I could not find a faster way anywhere.

It's official: I'm never getting a Fifth generation Camaro.

14. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse

Perhaps one of y'all could enlighten me...

When I start my Camaro on a chilly (40's) morning, the power steering pump makes a brief "ZZZZZZZZ" noise. I assumed it was the pump starting to fail, but today a buddy told me it was likely a hose that collapsed due to the colder weather and needed a moment to pressurize the system which kind of makes sense.

Anyone have any input? I've already ordered another pump, should I maybe get the hoses too?

Also, if anyone's interested, I'm now over $10K deep in my Z. Oh well, it's only money and she's tits mechanically. I still need to address the sway bar bushings & end links (Nothing wrong with them, but they do have 100K on them.) I'm probably also going to rebuild the whole brake system soon, just because. I'm now commuting about 50 miles every day for work in city traffic, and so far she's been perfectly reliable. Pretty good for a girl that took a year and half nap and hasn't ever been subjected to that kind of use.

Other then the stereo she's still 100% box stock. I have the new short throw shifter and cold air intake, but I want to make sure all the stock systems are up to snuff before I start modifying anything. Past experience has taught me that once you start adding high performance pieces things can go south quickly, so I'm making sure I start from a solid base.

15. dixiebandit69

dixiebandit69
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Personally, I wouldn't worry too much about the noise, but if you have a suspicion about the hose, why not replace that, not the pump?

16. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I don’t ever remember anything specific when i was living in really cold(weeks/months of -20 or worse) climates for a couple year. But fluids gets really thick at that temperatures so it might be that.

17. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

As per my R&R thread... there was some unwanted contact on the driveway this afternoon...

Anyone have any ball-park guesses around cost to fix? It's been a LONG time since I've ever given a shit about aesthetics, so am quite out of touch with the cost of body repair.

Any thoughts on the amount of work or how they'd fix the white car? (The truck is just a slight repaint at best).

IMG_5932.jpeg

IMG_5933.jpeg

18. Danger Boy

Danger Boy
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The truck is probably $300-$400 if you replace the fender lip, the car will be quite a bit more. They'll probably just replace the quarter panel and door. Sometimes you can weld a new door skin on, which is cheaper, but that depends entirely on the car. I'm guessing at least $1500 for the car.

Disclaimer: I'm being very, very conservative on prices here.

19. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Yeah, not worried about the fender lip. Just looking to get the area painted to make it look not so shitty and stop rust. That, plus some other chips and dings that could get done at the same time I figured $500.

The car I guessed at $2k (Canadian).

Thanks for the feedback.

20. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I plan on owning/driving the truck into the ground so am not too worried about resale, etc.