Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

The Automotive Thread

Discussion in 'Permanent Threads' started by Backroom, Oct 19, 2009.

1. dixiebandit69

dixiebandit69
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Well, GM (a notoriously cheap company) thought that putting an extra relay on there was a good idea...
    Like I said, their reason was more even temperatures across the radiator and condenser.
    I once had an automotive instructor tell me that the first half of the radiator does 75% of the work; so if the fan that's on isn't on that half, you aren't getting the best efficiency.

The fuse box I'm going to use is out of a '97 V6 Firebird, and it already has the three fan relays in there. I'm going to be re-pinning the fuse box for heavier gauge wire for the fans and fuel pump, and the "extra" wiring will all/ mostly be contained in the fuse box.

Since the PCM I'm using (2004 Tahoe) never had provisions for electric fans, I'm going to have one input coming from the A/C system, and then a thermostatic switch that grounds at 180 degrees for the high speed relay.
    That way the fans come on at half speed when I turn on the A/C, but once the engine temperature gets high enough, I have full airflow. If I did it the other way around (A/C pressure turns on high speed), then there might be a chance of overheating if not running the air conditioner.

Here is a schematic of what I'm doing: ZZZZZ-2008-06-13_235958_camaro.gif

In the end, there are still only two wires going to each fan.
    Of course, if anyone has a better idea, I'm all ears.

For the record, I've done a bunch of dual fan installations that are individually powered, like you first mentioned, and they all worked fine. I just thought I'd try something different this time.

#2581 dixiebandit69, Dec 14, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2018
  2. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse
    Alone in the dark, drooling on himself

The fucking desert. I hate the fucking desert.
    Not if I can help it. Here's a pic with the temp gauge:

temp.jpg

When it hits that mark by the temp icon, that's where I'm comfortable with it running. I'm guessing that's 210 or so, when it starts climbing past that towards the next mark I start freaking out. In stop and go traffic, sitting at a light it climbs pretty damn quick towards the red zone. As soon as I get moving again it'll drop pretty quick, so the lower air deflector is doing it's job when the car is moving. I've never seen a car have such massive temp fluctuations as this one. Sitting at a light it steadily climbs towards the red zone, but as soon as I get moving it'll quickly drop 50 or more degrees.

That's the main reason I was thinking of just replacing the radiator. My heater core seems to be fine though, right now I'm leaving the heat on low and using that as a supplemental cooling system but I'd rather not do that in the summer.

The first couple of days that I had the car I took it in and one of the fans wasn't engaging, so I had it replaced. So they both should be working.

I know running a car in Vegas is subjecting it to unusual conditions, would going with a 4 core radiator help? Or maybe one of those coolant additives that promises to lower temps? I just want this thing to idle around 210-225 at a light, not have me constantly watching the temp gauge and getting nervous.

Thanks for your input, I really do appreciate it.

3. dixiebandit69

dixiebandit69
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It sounds like your fans aren't coming on, at least not to full speed.

Nobody makes a four row radiator for these cars. The factory radiator is very adequate.

4. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse

That's kind of what I'm thinking, although it could be the radiator is gummed up from that 90's Delco anti-freeze.

In other news, my rear end clunking noise is back. Only at low speed (1-3 mph), only on uneven pavement, and only after everything warms up. I drove about a dozen miles the other day at 50-55 mph and when I pulled into the parking lot....there was the clunking. When I left a couple hours later, everything had cooled down and no noises. When I got home....clunk, clunk, clunk. I swear it sounds like a binding up u-joint, but I know that's not the case.

I'm wondering if the rear end oil has lost it's viscosity and is breaking down under heat, or possibly someone topped off the rear end without adding the Delco limited slip additive? From what I've heard that rear end HAS to have the additive to give a bit of friction to allow the clutches to work properly. Either way, I'm having the rear drained and refilled and hopefully that rectifies the noise.

Other possibilities are the e-brake cable may be binding up somewhere, or maybe an exhaust hanger I guess. It sounds to be an external noise, not an internal one, but it sounds like hell. Any ideas?

5. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse

Just had the rear end drained and refilled (Everything was good in the differential), also since I have C-Clip axles I also had them go ahead and replace the axle bearings while they were in there so it shouldn't have to have the axle cover dropped again for a few years. Also had them check the e-brake adjustment, since beyond binding U-Joints the next most likely noise is a brake hanging up. We'll see...I have to drive across town for a job interview tomorrow and hopefully it will be quiet.

Also just ordered the front upper & lower control arms (w/bushings & ball joints) for both sides and should get those installed in a couple of weeks.

6. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse

Across town and back without any horrible sounds from the rear end! Yay!

Oh yeah....and I got the job.

7. wilder111

wilder111
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

ok, so I'm hoping one of you guys'll have an idea about what this might be(I'm pretty mechanically retarded); I have a 1999 toyota camry(4 cyl) ((yes I know, but it runs, was given to me by my late grandfather, and otherwise works)). When I go and start it in the morning, often I'll have to manually throttle the pedal to keep it in idle for a few minutes, after which everything is fine(the car seems to "Wake up"). This only happens if the car has sat for long periods of time. my question is this;
    1- is this the head-gasket?
    2-if not HG, what else could be causing this?

8. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

when you say long time do you mean it does that every time it starts from being cold?

if so it sounds like your iac(idle air control) valve.

9. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Yeah, my Shade Tree expertise says the same... a friend of mine with an old Camry had the same issue and it was the ICV.

He did successfully clean it a few times with some air intake cleaner which let it run a bit better with very little work (undo a hose clamp and spray some shit at the valve), but in the end it only lasted a few weeks/months after which he replaced the thing which fixed the problem.... and it was a relatively easy replacement.

10. wilder111

wilder111
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Correct; I should've also mentioned that the ubiquitous "check engine" light is on, for some sort of "Vacuum" issue. I did get bold a few years back and replace all the spark plugs myself, but I don't think that would relate to this(but you guys would know better).

11. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse

My Durango did the same thing at one point, it was the idle air. As Nett mentioned it can be cleaned and function for a month or so until the problem comes back. It's best to just replace the valve and be done with it.

12. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Im sure this has been posted before but this man is doing life so much better than me:

13. dixiebandit69

dixiebandit69
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Go to your local auto parts store and have them scan your car. Then report the codes back here.
    Like everyone else said, it sounds like the IAC valve, but there may be other things at play.

14. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse

Here's an interesting little tidbit that shocked me: My 6 speed uses ATF, not 90W.

At first I thought I was reading the wrong info, but nope...it gets filled with Dex3.

15. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

and you have to watch power steering. I know Fords did it a lot where they used atf in the power steering and not ps fluid, fastest way to kill your ps is to put ps fluid in it if requires atf

16. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse

Just picked up a factory leather wheel for $60 + $6 shipping!

My only concern is the seller has a couple negative feedbacks for selling painted leather wheels. I hope to hell they didn't paint this one, but I figure at this price it's worth taking a chance.

The seller started this wheel at $129 a few months ago, then dropped it to $100, and then this morning to $60.

Fingers crossed.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1993-THRU-...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

17. dixiebandit69

dixiebandit69
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Toytoy, before you change that fluid, let me recommend the GM Synchromesh transmission fluid. Most T56 owners (me included) reported better shifting with that stuff.

Fun fact: if you thought ATF in a manual was weird, then hold onto your butt: Synchromesh fluid is actually 5W30 engine oil with a special friction modifier in it.

Just about all manual transmissions since the early '90s specify ATF. The only ones that don't are medium/ heavy duty trucks.

18. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse

That's what I was going to use (GM part # 88861800)

Capture.PNG

19. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

So advice time. I just won an auction for a car on Bring a Trailer. Cars out of state. Guy sent a copy of the title and bill of sale. Just curious as how to make payment the safest way without getting F'd in the A. Common pitfalls to avoid transferring titles, etc.

92 MR2 turbo

20. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

If you're showing up with a trailer, I'd be tempted to pay cash... maybe send him a few hundred up front as a show of good faith if he needs it.

I've also had people fill out a power of attorney for all matters pertaining to the car so that if something does come up, I could handle it personally. Had to use it once, but it was a life saver. (Especially since I brought it up from the States).