Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

The Automotive Thread

Discussion in 'Permanent Threads' started by Backroom, Oct 19, 2009.

1. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

No sarcasm, I didn't include a couple of words that I thought I had... I wasn't being clear. Partly because I was doing it from my phone while being pissed off at the lawnmower. (It shouldn't take 45 minutes to change a blade, should it?)

2. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Tried the key "on" to prime before starting. No dice, was still a long start. I did not notice any smell of fuel, leaky or post start.

I can't figure out any way to get at the fuel pump & filter without doing the whole seat removal and carpet peel. I'm going to go over it with my mechanic-y buddy before I try that. And change the plugs and wires.

3. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse
    Alone in the dark, drooling on himself

The fucking desert. I hate the fucking desert.
    The other day while I was spending 8 hours in the waiting room of the auto repair shop I had two choices for entertainment:

1) Watch daytime TV they had the TV tuned to.
    2) Stare out the window at the traffic going by on a major 6 lane street.

I chose the latter and noticed something interesting (And it's one of the reasons I came home and immediately bought my Z28)

I was there 8 hours and tens of thousands of cars went by. I saw numerous exotics...Ferraris,etc...I saw one 4th generation Camaro. One. And it wasn't a Z28.

It doesn't seem that long ago that about every 10th or 20th car you saw was a 4th gen Camaro. The damn things were everywhere. Now? Nothing. I haven't seen another one the rest of this week and I've been paying attention.

Where did they all go? Wrecking yards? Crushers? Made into drag cars? Up on blocks in redneck's yards? It's like they're just gone.

4. Flat_Rate

Flat_Rate
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Up on blocks around here, guy down from my in laws has three on blocks and one stripped for parts that still rolls on factory wheels.

5. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse

Oh my....

A twin turbo set up for an LT1 with an intercooler for $1140! Good thing I know I don't have the skill level, space, or fabrication ability to actually install it myself. Not to mention rebuilding the bottom end to handle the boost or remapping the CPU, but damn does that sound like a whole lot of fun.

6. Flat_Rate

Flat_Rate
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

You can run 5 pounds of boost with little to no issues on a stock LT1, food for thought.

7. dixiebandit69

dixiebandit69
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Toytoy, if you bring that down to Texas, I'll install it for you.

8. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Please do this. dixie and toytoy loose in Texas with a turbo Camaro? If there's not 8 episodes of a reality show right there, I don't why TLC even bothers programming anymore.

9. Puffman

Puffman
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I concur. It would have everything from rattlesnakes to guitars. Runins with the police just for good measure.

10. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

RoN needs to ride shotgun.

Literally.

11. Puffman

Puffman
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

You add ROTN to the mix and you move from deep cable right up to Major Network reality series.

Focus: Dixie, would 5 pounds of boost really add that much to the performance of the LT1?

12. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

You could say about 10hp per pound of boost, without taking any specifics into consideration. Performance also depends on at what RPM the boost hits... typically it'll add some more high-end pull.

13. Puffman

Puffman
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Performance is always nice, but after destroying the driveability of a couple of motorcycles in my day doing performance upgrades, I am more inclined to just leave my vehicles the way they come from the factory. Unless you know how and have the time to constantly keep highly tuned and performance engines right, I found they can be a nightmare to own. I will however do whatever I can afford to the suspension, tires and brakes.

14. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I'm always scared of the lesser-known, home-built packages. I have known quite a few Porsche 951 (the 944 turbo) that tried to get HP cheaply... and most of them blew up or damaged their cars in the process. The only systems that worked were the expensive, engineered ones by large, known companies that knew what the fuck they were doing.

When I rebuilt my turbo that I was racing, it was NOT cheap, but I could then thrash the thing on the track weekend after weekend with solid performance and reliability.

I also raced against a guy with a turbo rx-7 that was a "project car" where he was trying to engineer a high-boost turbo system for it. The guy would always be leading for the first half of the race, as he slowly but surely kept raising the boost as he went... until finally he would blow that shit up, raining oil and fluid all over the track. He only got to race about every 3rd race, and even then I don't think he ever finished.

I watched him do that for almost 3 years.

15. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Ha! Found a hill climb video of his car:

16. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Another one of him running at my old local track.

That car was squirrely as fuck.

17. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse

I tend to agree with you on that. I made a lot of mistakes when I was younger "Upgrading" cars....to much cam, to much carb, to much compression. Those "Upgrades", while pretty easy to diagnose, were still a pain in the ass to remedy. With all the electronics in newer cars and everything daisy chained to the CPU, I'd be lost trying to figure out where I screwed up when something inevitably goes wrong now.

Like Nett said, you want something engineered for your particular application and as plug and play as possible. The cheap kit I linked to is probably marketed as a kit for Mustangs also, so there's a whole lot of room for error.

I've known quite a few idiots with turbo cars that bolt on a boost controller and just keep turning it up until it eventually breaks the engine and then wonder what the fuck happened. My turbo ZX, I had the system set up to 10lbs of boost (Stock was 4 or 5). I knew the engine internals were good at that amount and fuel system could handle it (Anything past 10lbs and then you had to start upgrading injectors, fuel rails, cobbling a Mustang GT AFM into the the system, and a bigger throttle body.) It worked fine as an everyday driver, but if I'd gone in and started messing with all that other stuff...I'm sure it would've had a whole bunch of downtime as the weakest link would break, replace that, then the next weakest would go...and so on and so on. Phooey on that.

18. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Yeah, at it's peak, my old turbo would run at 1.2 bar or around 17psi. That was on high-octane fuel (or else you'd get crazy detonation), with a killer intercooler, etc.

They called it the "money knob" for a reason... the higher you crank it, the more likely you are of emptying your wallet.

19. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse

There were guys in the Z31 (First gen 300ZX) community that would run 21-22lbs on a stock 100K mile engine. They thought they knew better than anyone else and learned a very expensive lesson pretty quickly.

My favorites are the morons who throw a 150 shot of nitrous onto an otherwise stock engine and then wonder how they burned a hole in the top of a piston. Cheap horsepower is never cheap for long.

20. dixiebandit69

dixiebandit69
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

[QUOTE="Puffman, post: 610603, member: 107]

Focus: Dixie, would 5 pounds of boost really add that much to the performance of the LT1?[/QUOTE]

Oh, you'll definitely feel 5 pounds with the butt-ometer, but with the amount you will be spending, you will probably be expecting better results.