Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

The Automotive Thread

Discussion in 'Permanent Threads' started by Backroom, Oct 19, 2009.

1. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I gave him the benefit of the doubt and assumed he was holding it while taking the picture.

2. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse
    Alone in the dark, drooling on himself

The fucking desert. I hate the fucking desert.
  3. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Someone sure loved the 80's.

4. zzr

zzr
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Of course. Negra Modelo - she's Mexican.

5. zzr

zzr
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The automotive gods smiled brightly on me last night. I put it all back together and it worked! She was very happy - brought me enchiladas she made with her mom when she picked up the car, and that's all I can say until the divorce is final.

(Sorry for the double post)

6. Fiveslide

Fiveslide
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Can you share what the problem was? Did you install a new part or actually repair the old screen?

I have a touchscreen in my truck and I'm dreading the day the inevitable happens and it becomes a useless screen. I've always just sent touchscreen shit to be repaired by someone that does it.

7. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

He had to install the spy camera and wireless transmitter behind the screen.

8. shegirl

shegirl
    Expand Collapse
    Redemption Seeking Whore

The SO suggested I look into getting us AAA membership. Our coverage through our insurer sucks and with him hunting in god knows where AAA seems logical. Any suggestins or feedback?

9. zzr

zzr
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I repaired the screen. This is a common problem on the 2nd generation Lexus IS models, 2006-2013. The touchscreen becomes unresponsive because of a broken connection in the ribbon cable.

I attached a pic showing the four traces that had to be repaired. It shows me using a Dremel to grind the glass, but I realized I didn't have to do that; it's all in the cable . I didn't bother to determine which one was the problem, I just fixed all four. I used a circuit writer pen I ordered from Radio Shack as recommended by others on the Lexus forum. In this case I had to scrape back the coating on the cable and bridge the broken traces inside it. Worked perfectly, and my Lexus girl is very happy. I mean, she was really happy. I didn't realize how bad it was for her until after I fixed it. She hadn't been able to even use the AC or connect her phone because they require the screen to activate.

Attached Files:

10. dixiebandit69

dixiebandit69
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

See, that is some of the stupidest horseshit I've ever heard of, second only to cars with no dipsticks (I'm looking at you, German manufacturers. ).

WHO THE FUCK EVER THOUGHT THAT TOUCH-SCREENS WOULD BE A GOOD IDEA IN A MOTOR VEHICLE?
    With all the problems that we have with people using their phones while driving, they thought that they should have to take their eyes off the road to control basic functions on their car?
    And forget about the whole issue of the electronic components fucking up, like happened to ZZR's lady-friend.

You people think that I drive my Trans Am just because it's cool, fast, fits my personality, and helps me get pussy?
    It's also because it doesn't have a bunch of stupid, extraneous electronics on it.
    Here's a picture I took when I was going to stay at Jungle Julia's place yesterday: Trans Am - drive.jpg

11. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse

Here ya go Nett: A '93 Porsche 911 RSR with 6 miles on it. How the hell does someone buy a car like that and never drive it? It's still got Cosmoline on it.

911.jpg

12. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Maybe someone who wanted it as a collector car? Other then that who knows, especially a RSR.

13. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse

Stranger still are the purple wheels, gold rotors, 2 (Full leather) seats and carpet. In a race car. It's an odd duck indeed.

14. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

That's just stupid, if you ask me... a car will just rot if it's not regularly driven. If you want to leave it looking pretty under glass for eternity, then sure, don't drive it... but if you were to want to drive that car right now I can't help but think that it will have a ton of problems that will never properly go away.

15. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse

Oh, I completely agree. Every seal in that thing needs to be replaced, not to mention what kind of crap has contaminated the fluids and ruined other parts along the line.

It's a complete waste of an incredible machine that was built to be driven. It'll end up in another rich fuck's collection not being driven or in a museum. It'll never get to wake up and stretch it's legs. Sad.

16. katokoch

katokoch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Speaking of incredible machines I am no longer the owner of a rusty 2004 Town and Country with 207,500 miles. You know a shitty minivan really isn't that bad, it could haul a canoe and gear and deer with ease but it was starting to go downhill (just had the radiator replaced recently and I think its having some spark plug issues, the muffler is shot and the drivers side window switch is dead) and I am a little tired of having that much sex appeal while driving around town. Replaced it with a 2013 Ford Edge purchased from my sister. Won't be able to haul full length boards in it as easily but it is nice to have more modern features. Ms. katokoch still has her 2004 Honda Civic, which I actually love driving after being accustomed to how a minivan handles plus it just sips on fuel too.

17. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Have an 02 Civic and love it.

18. katokoch

katokoch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Only problem with the Civic is how cramped the space is behind the headlights for changing them. Haven't changed the oil, etc. yet so I can't comment on that.

19. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Oil is easy but a little messy sometimes, the oil filter is mounted perpendicular to the ground and has a little ridge right below it so when you take off the filter oil spills.

Yes the headlights are a pain, my 02 has a single bulb system I know shortly after they went to a 2 bulb system not sure about yours. Just wait till you have to change a marker light. Technically there are little holes in the fender to access it but I cant find away to do it. You have to take off the bumper to take out the headlight assemblies to change the bulbs.

20. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse

Look what you could buy for your Jeep in 1948:

jeep.jpg