Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

The Automotive Thread

Discussion in 'Permanent Threads' started by Backroom, Oct 19, 2009.

1. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse
    Alone in the dark, drooling on himself

The fucking desert. I hate the fucking desert.
    We now have all the goods on the Demon.

808 HP on pump gas.
    840 HP on 100 octane.
    9.65 @140 quarter mile.
    2.1 seconds 0-60.

"But you won't be able to test that theory in competition — the NHRA has already banned the Demon for being too fast." I have a feeling that "Ban" has more to do with the fact that (I think) sub 10 second cars have to be equipped with a roll cage.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/news...-track/ar-BBzJWjX?li=BBnb7Kz#image=BBzJPl5|29

2. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

There are a lot of rules when you break the 10s mark.

3. dixiebandit69

dixiebandit69
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Unless those times were recorded using racing slicks that were soaked in VHT overnight, I'm calling bullshit.
    There ain't no way in hell that street-legal tires are going to propel a 2WD, 4,000+ pound car that fast.

In other news, remember that '72 Olds Cutlass I got to drive a few months back? Well, I rebuilt the engine (455) for it at work. I had to go through a bunch of shit to get it done: Parts availability (it needed a new crankshaft, and my boss only wants to buy locally), finding out that some parts weren't up to par (intake manifold mounting surfaces were warped, ignition coil shorted out, other things), the owner wanted to keep costs as low as possible, etc.
    But I cranked this fucker up today, and it sounded like the beating of 1,000 angels' wings. Oil pressure was 70 psi. I got the cam broken in (Edelbrock 2152), and then I was about to run out of gas, so I shut it down.
    There is some nickel-and-dime bullshit to attend to (the electric choke doesn't seem to be working), but I'm looking forward to the test-drive tomorrow.

Olds 455 - 2.jpg

4. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse

"It comes from the factory on 315/40 Nitto drag radials wrapped around 18x11-inch wheels, but despite providing 40 percent more grip at launch than the Hellcat's tires, they're street-legal, as well. Dodge also went for a square wheel/tire setup so that once you put the skinnies on the front at the drag strip, you've got another set of drag radials for the rear."

5. Improper

Improper
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

6. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse

7. dixiebandit69

dixiebandit69
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Awesome. It looks like they finally got smart and put a manual transmission in it. (I still wouldn't buy one, even if I had the money to burn. It's still a dressed up Camaro. )

Anyway, today I finally got to drive the 455-powered Olds with the newly rebuilt engine (and a distributor cap that isn't cracked internally; it's a big-cap HEI unit. Routing the wires on those things is SO MUCH FUN.)

I've got two words about the experience: "Fuck," and "Yeah."

The first couple of times I drove this car, months ago, I was not impressed. It didn't feel any faster than my Trans Am, and it's only got a 305.
    Now, it's definitely faster than my car.
    I attribute this to the distributor cap that was cracked internally, thus shorting out when the engine was under heavy loads.

The best part was that after flooring it on back-roads for awhile (you know, to seat the rings properly! Check it out here: http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm), I brought it back to the shop and checked it for leaks, and there were none.

See for yourself:
    Olds 455 - bottom.jpg

But it's not over yet; the owner said that he's still got some minor issues that he wants fixed on the car, and that will require more test driving afterwards.
    Sometimes life is tough for a mechanic...

Now if y'all will excuse me, I've got to pull the dashboard out of my Trans Am to retrieve a dead rat.

8. dixiebandit69

dixiebandit69
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Look at this shit. Just look at it. All this stuff taken out, and still no sign of the rat that is stinking the car up.
    Interior.jpg

9. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Have you checked the mirror?

10. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse

It's probably under the seat. Have you checked there?

11. dixiebandit69

dixiebandit69
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yup. I could definitely smell it coming from the vents/ dashboard area, but there's nothing in there except a few rat turds and a lot of dust.

Trust me, this car smells like death right now.

12. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Check the blower motor shroud... I've had one die in the vent only to get it pushed/wedged between the fan and the shroud, stick to the plastic shroud, and then slowly mummify and smell. Had to rip shit apart and then almost soak it in enzymatic cleaner to kill off the smell.

Literally poured this stuff down the vents while the fans were running on low... went through the big bottle in a week and all was good.

[​IMG]

13. dixiebandit69

dixiebandit69
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I took that out, too. There is literally nothing there but the firewall (I took the rest of the HVAC ducting out after I took the picture).
    The car still smells fucking terrible. I'm really stumped on this.

14. Flat_Rate

Flat_Rate
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

When I was at the dealer you wouldn't believe the shit people left in the car after dropping it for service, bloody tampons under the passenger seat, full diapers left to rot in the rear, food rotting fucking everywhere - this list goes on.

Granted now I am working on garbage trucks so maybe it was all in training for that.

15. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse

Maybe the sub frame? I've seen rats climb in there and die more then once.

16. Fiveslide

Fiveslide
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

My dad's Ford truck had to have the cab removed to repair the diesel engine. There was a giant rat nest on top of the transmission when it was exposed. Check there as well.

17. zzr

zzr
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I need some good karma from the automotive gods. I have the navigation system of a very important girl's Lexus disassembled in my living room to repair her touch screen. I'm ready to put it back together tonight and I really need it to work. It's not that I'm trying to impress her, I just want it to work for her. I'm hoping that talking about it might help.

image1.JPG

18. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

What... no hammer?

19. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm surprised you didn't go with the 1-3/8" flux capacitor in that right hand goblin rod. I haven't worked with Lexus interiors much, though.

20. GTE

GTE
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

FTFY