Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

The Association 2014-2015

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Trakiel, Jul 11, 2014.

1. Clutch

Clutch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It doesn't sound like the Warriors want to give up Thompson and since they used the full mid-level exception they can't/won't take back Kevin Martin's contract. I also think that there is a better chance that Bennett becomes a solid starter than Prokhorov letting the Nets bottom out, especially when they don't own their pick.

Either way, the salaries have to match, so Cleveland would have to give up basically all of the young talent that everyone was saying made them interesting in the first place. Is Kyrie/Lebron/Love/Varejao + minimum vets a better team than Wade/Bosh/Lebron/McRoberts/Napier + minimum vets?

2. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

This has already long been reported, but not on here:

Bosh is going to Miami for 5 years and $118 million (*cue my jaw hitting the floor*).

Also, the two teams remaining in the hunt for Gasol are the Bulls and my Spurs. Thunder are reportedly out of the hunt because the owner refused to spend the MLE. Gasol's announcement on his decision is expected by this evening.

3. dieformetal

dieformetal
    Expand Collapse
    Hurricanes Are My Bitch

Might as well say it now: The Cavs are not winning the title next season.

4. Trakiel

Trakiel
    Expand Collapse
    Call me Caitlyn. Got any cake?

Shit article. Spends at least half of it talking about the good old days. He's looking more and more over the hill with every article.

5. dieformetal

dieformetal
    Expand Collapse
    Hurricanes Are My Bitch

This is so full of shit I don't even know where to begin.

6. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Pau to Chicago is really interesting. He hasn't had a major injury in the last few years, but his spirit obviously hasn't been there. He's had a shitty coach that misused him in D'Antoni, and a psychopath teammate that isn't the player he used to be but thinks he still is in Kobe. A team like the Bulls who has some bite to them and Thibs running the show should put some fire into Pau. This will be exciting! Another big man who can make plays further away from the rim and pass? Sign me up. Now all we need for there is to be a larger learning curve Cleveland and the Pacers' to fuck each others wives again and we have an Eastern Conference Title!

7. Gator

Gator
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The Bulls needed Melo. They lack the offense necessary to compete at the elite level. Even with Rose back, they are short that secondary scorer to make the next step. Gasol is an older Noah. What are they gonna do? Pass back and forth to one another?

I am shocked Bosh went back to the Heat. He truly is a unique dude. Then again, $88m vs $118m would make a lot of people unique.

Newsflash for Heat fans, because Wade took a 2 year deal (1+1 actually) for $34-35m is NOT a huge sacrifice. Dirk taking $24m over 3 years is a sacrifice. Wade isnt worth $10m per at this stage, but who else are they gonna spend the money on? The Heat are the Bulls of 2010. There is nobody left to sign but Boozer. And they still might sign him once CHI dumps him.

While I dont have a huge problem with LBJ, I do think he let his staff lead the Heat on a little. Why didnt he tell them hed met with Gilbert when they had the meeting in Vegas? He had made his mind up to go back to CLE after the 1st game vs the Spurs? After the 1st year with the Heat? After the first 5min in signing with MIA?

And the Cavs are not winning anything without Love. They should give MINN anything they want, including Wiggins. Something about him doesnt sit right with me. Something is missing. I cant put my finger on it but I dont think he will be as good of a pro as Parker or even Randle.

8. Clutch

Clutch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm of the opinion that they will not win with Love unless they can keep Wiggens. Even then, they'll need help. Nearly everyone talking about a potential Love trade is building a fantasy basketball team. Irving and Love are not better than Wade and Bosh. Not now, and certainly not the 2010 versions. Wade and Bosh were both elite two-way players who each could drag teams devoid of talent to the playoffs. Irving and Love are great offensive players who have not been able to drag their teams anywhere.

Here's what Cleveland's roster looks like if they trade Wiggens and Bennett for Love.
    Starters: Irving/Waiters/James/Love/Varejao
    Bench: Thompson/Dellavedova/Miller/Jones

Does that look like a better team than Miami trotted out a month ago? The one that everyone was saying got destroyed by San Antonio's great depth? They've got one big on the bench, and their best perimeter defender after Lebron is an undrafted white point guard in his second year. Oh, and they can't even make this trade until 30 days after they sign Wiggens to a contract. Otherwise they have to give up either Thompson or Waiters as well to make the salaries work.

I've been a huge Cavs fan these last four years. I've listened to Austin Carr struggle with reality and the English language 2-3 times a week while bad teams tried their best. I've talked myself into being okay with the Waiters and Thompson and Bennett picks. I've latched onto every glimmer of hope. But if they trade Wiggens and gut what's left of their bench to build a pale imitation of the Heat's big three, then I'm out. At some point this team becomes the white-trash family that only ever fucks up, and you have to just wash your hands of them. It just isn't worth the heartache.

If they make that trade, I guarantee that by Christmas ESPN will be running stories like "What's wrong with the Cavs?" and "Bosh in the conversation for MVP?"

9. Nom Chompsky

Nom Chompsky
    Expand Collapse
    Honorary TiBette

I love Bosh, but Love being good isn't about a "fantasy" team. It's about pairing a great shooting big man -- the role Bosh kind of got shoehorned into -- with the most gifted creating force in the league.

I also would snaptake Irving + Love over Wade + Bosh.

10. Clutch

Clutch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

[quote="Nom ChompskyIt's about pairing a great shooting big man -- the role Bosh kind of got shoehorned into -- with the most gifted creating force in the league. [/quote]
    I'd be totally on board for Channing Frye or Ryan Anderson, but I'm not interested in paying a guy $20 million to shoot corner threes and rebound, especially when the only other bigs on the roster are prolific rebounders who contribute little else.

No one is going to win a title with three max guys when only one of them is a plus defender. Hell, the only reason Alonzo Gee is in the league is Kyrie Irving's utter inability to guard good point guards. Out of the guys I listed in my last post, who is going to guard Rose, Westbrook, Curry, Parker, Rondo, Wall, or even fucking Kemba Walker? It sure isn't going to be Ray Allen or Mike Miller.

11. Clutch

Clutch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'd be totally on board for Channing Frye or Ryan Anderson, but I'm not interested in paying a guy $20 million to shoot corner threes and rebound, especially when the only other bigs on the roster are prolific rebounders who contribute little else.

No one is going to win a title with three max guys when only one of them is a plus defender. Hell, the only reason Alonzo Gee is in the league is Kyrie Irving's utter inability to guard good point guards. Out of the guys I listed in my last post, who is going to guard Rose, Westbrook, Curry, Parker, Rondo, Wall, or even fucking Kemba Walker? It sure isn't going to be Ray Allen or Mike Miller.

12. FreeCorps

FreeCorps
    Expand Collapse
    #1 Internet Boo

The internet is really winning with this LeBron situation.

#32 FreeCorps, Jul 18, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  13. MoreCowbell

MoreCowbell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'd keep Wiggins/Bennett as of right now, but you're wildly pessimistic about Love & Irving and way too high on the competition.

They're not better than Wade and Bosh 2-3 years ago, sure. They're better than Wade and Bosh today, though. And Wade-and-Bosh-today was almost good enough to win a championship.

Yes, although if I'm them I ship Waiters out of town for a ham sandwich.

And San Antonio is only getting worse. As are Indiana, Brooklyn, and Houston. Looking around, how many teams are (1) better than last year, and (2) legit title contenders? Probably OKC but then who? Chicago if you believe Derrick Rose is still a legitimate star? Golden State? DC-in-their-wildest-dreams-and-probably-a-few-years? Add in the fact that neither Irving (22) or Love(25) is truly in their prime yet. What if they actually can learn to play defense at a decent albeit not plus level? Bosh wasn't an amazing defender prior to joining the Heat.

They aren't dominant a la the initial Wade-Lebron-Bosh pairing, but they are set up to be an improving title contender that are as good or better than anyone else out there with the exception of OKC over the next three years or so. That's a lower ceiling than Wiggins-as-Scottie-Pippen, but it's certainly a higher floor.

And the answer to your question about defensive assignments is "Lebron James." James is fully capable of guarding those guys if need be. Maybe not Westbrook because that'd leave KD guarded by someone else, but he can do the assignment. LeBron actually did guard Parker sometimes, and did so very capably.

14. Trakiel

Trakiel
    Expand Collapse

Paul George likely out for next season

Linking to that article because it has a gif of his injury, which is pretty nasty-looking. I also had a tib-fib fracture but mine wasn't as bad as his. On the other hand, from the gif it looks like his was higher up on his leg than mine, so he'll probably be able to make a full recovery.

15. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

This is pure gold. I haven't even read it yet, I just know.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.csnne.com/page/exclusive-im-coming-home-brian-scalabrine-0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.csnne.com/page/exclusive-im- ... alabrine-0</a>

16. Trakiel

Trakiel
    Expand Collapse

Wolves to trade Love to Cavs

According to this article, the Cavs would get Love for Wiggins, Bennett, and a protected 2015 #1. I'm assuming the Cavs are going to have to throw in someone else in order to make the salaries work, but in theory I'm totally satisfied with that haul for Love. In theory, because I'm sure the Wolves will find a way to squander whatever talent and potential Wiggins & Bennett have.

17. dieformetal

dieformetal
    Expand Collapse
    Hurricanes Are My Bitch

Goddamnit...just when I was starting to feel good about My Beloved Bulls' chances for a Finals appearance...although Cleveland's defense as a team will likely fall off a cliff now...

18. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Deathly worried how everyone is still leaning towards Chicago. Now that Indiana is out (yes, they're out) its the Cavs vs. the Bulls. I like our team better when the bench sits down. Also, are we sure Varejo isn't 75 with a cane? He's missed at least 30 games each of the last few years.

19. Trakiel

Trakiel
    Expand Collapse

so the love trade finally went down: http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/1...ed-minnesota-timberwolves-cleveland-cavaliers

according to the pioneer press, here's who's getting what:

wolves: wiggins, bennett, young, 6.3m trade exemption
    cavs: love
    76ers: alexey shved, luc mbah a moute, and miami's 2015 1st rounder.

considering love wasn't going to resign, this looks like a great haul for the wolves. i don't know if miami's pick had any protection, but unless they go into the tank i don't think it'd be a lottery pick anyway.

20. dieformetal

dieformetal
    Expand Collapse
    Hurricanes Are My Bitch