Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

The Association 2012

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Parker, Dec 25, 2011.

1. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Focus: It began 35 minutes ago with the New York Knicks and Boston Celtics on TNT. Marv Alberts and Steve Kerr asking every 5 minutes "Who the fuck are these guys?" every time either team subbed in a nobody. I'm excited for this year being a Bulls fan, they finally have a 2 guard that scores more than...2 points. Keith Bogans took "2 guard" too literally. There is some stat showing The Bulls would have have 10 or so more games if they got at least 5-6 ppg from Bogans. Instead of the 4.2 that eventually dropped to 3.6 or something.

Here is the thread to talk about this wonderful shortened season of basketball and all related to The Association. Who you rootin for? What players you watching? Who do you think will end up in the Championship? How many times will I/the media mention "Lob City" by the end of the year? How many points will Kobe score every day he has to go to court to keep some of his money (Hint: during the rape trial it was at least 60)? How is Kris Humphries the most hated basketball player even though 75% of real NBA fans don't know who the fuck he is? Questions, questions, questions.

2. Rob4Broncos

Rob4Broncos
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I just want to know why the fuck my TNT broadcast switched to Spanish right before tip-off.

Then again, I really hate listening to Marv Albert.

3. Rob4Broncos

Rob4Broncos
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Also, picks: Bulls over Heat in the East. OKC over Dallas in the West. Bulls beat OKC, and Durant subsequently feeds Russell Westbrook to Joakim Noah.

I will say, however, that I'll switch my pick for ECF champion if LeBron learns to use his post game more. It's the most underutilized part of his repertoire. Either way, I don't see anyone from the West beating Chicago or Miami.

4. dieformetal

dieformetal
    Expand Collapse
    Hurricanes Are My Bitch

Definitely want the Bulls to win another championship, but I'm not sure if they have an answer for Miami. Rip Hamilton isn't going to be enough. Boozer can't pull another disappearing act this postseason. In the West, I think the Thunder easily have the best shot. Lakers/Spurs/Celtics are all time bombs(to varying extents) in this compressed season. Pierce and Kobe are already injured, and that's just the beginning.

5. Rob4Broncos

Rob4Broncos
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Don't underestimate the difference that adding a good 2-guard makes. Look at how Kyle Korver sparked Utah a few years ago. Hamilton will give Rose a reliable option to kick out to when he's invariably swarmed by 3 bodies in the lane. Rip's also of the most reliable off-ball players in the league. Boozer was also hurt last postseason. Health permitting, I highly doubt we'll get a repeat of that performance.

The offseason addition I'm most looking forward to watching is Battier's effect on the Heat. The guy improves every team he plays for by default, in all the little ways people tend not to notice. Ba-blam!

6. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

All I'm going to say is "Here is Ron slash Metta." Which is what all announcers are going to be saying the entire year.

7. dieformetal

dieformetal
    Expand Collapse
    Hurricanes Are My Bitch

Hamilton is definitely an upgrade from Bogans, and I don't believe that Boozer will disappear in the postseason again(injuries permitting). I just don't see them beating the Heat four times the way they(Heat) are playing right now(and I say this as a diehard Bulls fan).

Incidentally, my brother HATES the facts that Battier is on the Heat now(he's a Rockets fan).

8. Gator

Gator
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Westbrook and Durant are not long to be teammates. No way. People always say that the Big 3 in Miami will never work because Wade and Lebron both like to have the ball in their hands. The upside to that is that they can both pass fairly well. Westbrook and Durant need to shoot the ball. A lot.

It's only 3 games into the season, but neither Lebron nor Wade has attempted a 3-pointer yet. And Bosh is 1-1. Bosh is playing lights out. Had a huge 4th Quarter last night.

When Mike Miller comes back, and if Eddie Curry can give them anything inside, they are going to be tough to beat.

9. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Why does anyone care about Miami shooting 3s when they are obviously getting every other shot they want? When your game can conistest of lay-ups, dunks and jump shots (in that order) just go with it. It isn't hurting them, and the one team that locked them down had their best player run off to a coach that doesn't believe in defense. Since Boston died (beautiful funeral I heard) the only team that has a chance to stop them in the East is Chicago.

And it makes a HUGE difference with that upgrade at 2 guard. When you have one that scores 4.3ppg, to one thar scores 3-4 times that, it changes the focuses of defenses.

10. Gator

Gator
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Because one of their downfalls last year was relying on the drive, draw & dish for 3 which is a live/die situation. I think this year, they realize that they should try and get better shots and the 3's will be there if they're open or if they're desperate.

The other side to that coin is: Whom would you want defending Wade or Lebron in the 4thQ? Bogans or Hamilton?

I don't see why Chicago could not have had both.

11. dieformetal

dieformetal
    Expand Collapse
    Hurricanes Are My Bitch

My guess is to clear up salary cap space. Here's some relevant news bites:

<a class="postlink" href="http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/12/16/bulls-waive-last-years-starter-keith-bogans/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/ ... th-bogans/</a>

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.sbnation.com/2011-nba-free-agency/2011/12/9/2624533/keith-bogans-chicago-bulls-nba-trade-rumors" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.sbnation.com/2011-nba-free-a ... ade-rumors</a>

If I had to choose one(which the Bulls evidently thought they had to), I would definitely go for Hamilton.

12. Trakiel

Trakiel
    Expand Collapse
    Call me Caitlyn. Got any cake?

So I'm actually interested in following the Wolves this year because I want to watch Rubio. I haven't been able to actually watch any games so I've been following them vicariously through game stats and highlights. So far Rubio's been great from what I've been able to determine and overall the Wolves are actually playing good basketball. I should really just man up and actually buy some tickets and go to a game or two.

13. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I see your point, and its a good one. The reason why they couldn't have both is because of money but I have two counter points.

1. We've learned we don't have to worry about LeBron in the 4th quarter.

2. This was discussed a lot last year in the playoffs when it came to certain great elite players (see: Kobe). It is one thing to play defense on them, its another thing to play offense on them and tire them out a bit. Its one thing for them to use energy on offense only, but if they get to take defense off because the player is a zero threat it doesn't matter. If they have to play offense AND play defense, then it will have a culmative effect and limit overall performance.

So yeah, I would rather have Hamilton with solid offense and ok defense then Bogans with zero offense and lock-down defense. The only positions you would want that Zero O and Lockdown D would be at the 3 and 4. At the 1, 2 and 5, you really need some balance.

14. dieformetal

dieformetal
    Expand Collapse
    Hurricanes Are My Bitch

Today in random NBA shit: Lebron's NYE party.

Attached Files:

15. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Man I was at the Bulls game and oh boy did it suck until that 4th quarter. I will give some credit to Atlanta's defense, but I put 90% of the blame on the fans that refused to pick up any chants or make any noise until the late third quarter. It was fucking depressing. The rally guys couldn't get anyone shouting anything and everyone ignored the Get Loud pump ups. It was all pretty shitty. When the crowd got into it, the Bulls got into it and we had some basketball. The Bulls didn't deserve to win that game, and at the same time, the Hawks should have blown the Bulls out by 50. I think ESPN said it was the lowest scoring first 3 quarters in a win.

16. FreeCorps

FreeCorps
    Expand Collapse
    #1 Internet Boo

Well, it looks as if Paul Westphal just got fired in Sacramento. I wonder how this will affect the whole DeMarcus Cousins debacle.

17. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The Hawks are a bunch of fucking failures. Losing to the Heat at half time with Bron and Wade sitting? Wow.

18. Gator

Gator
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

What's amazing is they keep bringing in new players and new coaches, but their play never changes.

Do they even run plays? It seems like they just dribble around until late in the shot clock and then Joe Johnson or Josh Smith takes a horrible shot.

And they must pay Barkley by the word. I like him, but he never shuts up.

19. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Man, that's one thing about watching games on TV vs going to them. You really appreciate the silence of not having a PBP or CC guy talking every goddamn second. The stats come up on the board and you go from there. No you don't know what college they came from, or the one thing they said in an interview, but you realize you don't care.

Then again, anyone that takes away from Reggie Miller gets points in my book. I like Charles. The Hawks are terrible. When it comes to paying someone money, you can't just look at a guys play, you gotta ask "Does this guy have killer instinct?" If someone plays with KI, I'll pay him. JJ never had it, and now that he got paid, never will. He's getting paid more than D. Rose, Wade and LeBron. Insanity.

20. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Ricky Rubio has been greatly underestimated.