Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

The Association: 2012-2013

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Trakiel, Oct 17, 2012.

1. Trakiel

Trakiel
    Expand Collapse
    Call me Caitlyn. Got any cake?

I don't think it's a great mystery. LBJ was hyped as having GOAT potential before he even came into the league, while Wade is just another superstar, so it makes sense people would be talking more about the fact that this was his 2nd title vs. Wade's 3rd. The other factor is that the popular narrative only really concerns itself with the best guy on a championship team, and at this point that's LBJ and not Wade.

Agree with you about the hypothetical Bulls vs. Houston chances, but I remember lots of people saying back then that Houston only won because Jordan was out of the league.

2. Clutch

Clutch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Current Lebron could handle the physicality. I don't know if he gets that far, though, as he's really only been a competent jump shooter for ~3 years. Most of his time in Cleveland he depended on bulldozing into the lane. I don't know how well that would work with hand-checking and guys like Mutumbo, Mourning, Hakeem, young Shaq, Ewing, and David Robinson around.

I think Jordan would be fine today because his game compares to Kobe's, and Kobe does just fine.

3. Nom Chompsky

Nom Chompsky
    Expand Collapse
    Honorary TiBette

I'm a pretty shameless LeBron fan, basketball-wise. Personally, he seems annoying and I kind of hope he gets his dick caught in a zipper, but only if it doesn't effect his game.

He's the best offensive player AND the best defensive player in the league. He's unselfish. He works harder, for more games, than everybody else every season. He shut down Tony Parker. He thoughtfully and carefully considered his game, and keeps adding elements.

On the court, I think he's every bit as good as Jordan. Off the court, I don't like to get into this nebulous area, but you can't discuss Jordan without discussing the emotional effect he had on everybody around him.

Also, Phil Jackson > Erik Spoelstra.

Also Scottie Pippen was really good. A worse version of him (Paul George) is a top 10 player right now.

4. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

They went to LIV. The first time they won, they're bar tab was like $250k. BEST PART IS? WAIT FOR IT! WAIT FOR IT...

The owner of the bar picked up the tab.

Then this time they went and it was only $100k.

Then again, retail the owner really only spent like $3k to $4k in real money anyway, which I'm sure he makes up for in whatever sly marketing of getting to hang with the Heat.

5. MoreCowbell

MoreCowbell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Way to throw a curveball, Ralphie Gilbert.

6. shabamon

shabamon
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

David Stern is trolling so hard. I fully expect him to read the last five picks of the first round smoking a Black & Mild and two middle fingers in the air.

7. Nom Chompsky

Nom Chompsky
    Expand Collapse
    Honorary TiBette

Parker, are you underneath this table doing your thing to Billy?

[​IMG]

8. Flat_Rate

Flat_Rate
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Re: Re: The Association: 2012-2013

Even Parker can't blow himself.

9. Gator

Gator
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

10. MoreCowbell

MoreCowbell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

What it feels like to be a Celtics fan today:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yay for.... Kelly Olynyk?

11. Rob4Broncos

Rob4Broncos
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Could be worse, imagine what Bobcats fans feel. Do they still exist?

On the other hand, the 76ers. Goddamn. Turned Jrue Holliday into Nerlens Noel, replaced him with Michael Carter-Williams, and 2 possible top-10 picks in a very stacked 2014 draft.

12. Flat_Rate

Flat_Rate
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Re: Re: The Association: 2012-2013

MJ can't give tickets away, season tickets are still fairly high, lot of empty seats coming up.

13. MoreCowbell

MoreCowbell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yeah, but I barely remember an era where Paul Pierce wasn't a Celtic. He made his debut when I was seven, and by my count has 1,238 games in the same uniform, which is only topped by Duncan, Kobe, Stockton, Reggie, Malone, Hakeem, and John Havlicek. At some point soon, Dirk will pass the mark.

I has a sad.

14. RCGT

RCGT
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yeah, I'm gonna post an old Simmons article here:
    <a class="postlink" href="http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-triangle/post/_/id/20162/28-days-later-the-los-angeles-celtics" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-trian ... es-celtics</a>

Fuck this trade.

15. Clutch

Clutch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The worst part is that they probably won't completely bottom out if Rondo and Sullinger both come back healthy. They could very well be stuck in that late lottery/low playoff seed hell, because I don't see them being worse than Philly, Orlando, Charlotte, Phoenix, or Sacramento, and I don't have a lot of faith in Detroit or Toronto, and who knows if Irving and Varejao can stay healthy for Cleveland.

16. RCGT

RCGT
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

On this note, I clicked on the Celtics website the day of the trade to check the roster, and for a second I wondered if we'd just given up and become a WNBA team.

[​IMG]

17. MoreCowbell

MoreCowbell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

18. JWags

JWags
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm not sure who looks more ridiculous, 12 year old Brad Stevens or Humphries with the tie he stole from Craig Sager.

19. Gator

Gator
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The Heat have amnestied Mike Miller.

Sad to see him go as a Gator and a Heat fan, but the move saves $40million in luxury tax over the next 2 seasons.

Hard to argue with that.

Let it Fly!

20. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

There is no one (non-Miami Heat player) I hate more than Keith Bogans. He is such a fucking bad player, no idea how he's still in the league. He looks like he's taking a mug shot.