Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

The Alcohol Thread

Discussion in 'Permanent Threads' started by Blue Dog, Oct 20, 2009.

1. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

It'll be right beside the "stay the fuck out of the garage and make me a sandwich" thread.

2. DrunkenCokeHead

DrunkenCokeHead
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

[​IMG]
    nettdata??? HAHA

3. shegirl

shegirl
    Expand Collapse
    Redemption Seeking Whore

Which is near the "All Women are Difficult and Evil Thread."

4. ghettoastronaut

ghettoastronaut
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I made a trip to Jay Peak last year and had a six-pack of Tram Ale (same as Long Trail Ale), and brought back some Magic Hat #9, and Long Trail's Blueberry Wheat and Double Bag. And I don't know if I have bad luck with getting bad batches or I just don't have the taste buds for it, but I have rarely had a strong, high-alcohol beer that didn't taste like ass, cigarette butts, or a musty, mouldy den. This happened with La Fin Du Monde as well. Am I doing something wrong (i.e. not keeping the beer refrigerated) or is anyone else in the same boat as me?

5. effinshenanigans

effinshenanigans
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Double Bag is notoriously smooth for being 7.2% by volume, so I'm not sure what to tell you. Stick with the lower alcohol beers and just drink more of them, I guess.

6. Samr

Samr
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I know I'm late to the party, and probably obvious, but I have yet to meet at New Belgium beer I haven't liked. I hadn't seen them that often until fairly recently here in Texas.

Ok, ghetto contribution:

1 MD 20/20 (banana strawberry, a.k.a. "red" flavor)
    half can Cherry Coke
    Peach schnapps to taste

It really isn't as bad as it sounds.

7. Spacesatan

Spacesatan
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

This drink pretty much ruined my 22nd birthday party, so I thought I would spread the love. It's something like a Tom Collins. If you have any friends that are pussies about the taste of alcohol, make some of these. Also a good way to use a diet mixer; I hate rum and Diet Cokes but also hate sugar hangovers.

3oz gin
    2oz Sweet and Sour mix
    5oz Sprite Zero
    pour over ice in a tall glass

At that proportion, you can't taste the gin. You can make it stiffer at your own discretion.

8. iczorro

iczorro
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

We don't have one of those already?

Do it.

9. Drewpy

Drewpy
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

So I'm a college student and on a budget, and I'm just wondering what is your favorite cheap beer? Usually I end up with Keystone because its usually 2 cases for 22, but I'm looking for some other alternatives. Any suggestions?

10. LessTalk MoreStab

LessTalk MoreStab
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Any other brewers on here? If not why? How else can you have 40l of premium beer on tap in the comfort of your own home.

20L of beer = $20 and about 2 hours of work (if you class drinking while listening to loud music and stirring a pot a couple of times as work)

11. Spoz

Spoz
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I brew/distill spirits, and the savings are great, but it has taken a lot of trial and error to get something that rivals store-bought spirit.

I've never tried brewing beer, but I've tried a lot of other peoples home-brewed beer, and it has always been terrible. Of course it is claimed to be better than anything you can buy, and they rave about how cheap it is, but I am yet to be convinced. Is there some trick they're forgetting? (With distilling spirits, the trick is filtering through activated charcoal, took a few years to work that one out).

12. numeric

numeric
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

La Crosse City Lager. $13 for 30 beers, and it beats the shit outta Keystone. But if you're not in Wisconsin you're fucked. But don't feel bad. Most people aren't in Wisconsin, and are also fucked.

EDIT: Where the fuck do I have to go to find an Old Fashioned?

13. LessTalk MoreStab

LessTalk MoreStab
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

There is no trick just use good ingredients . Most brewers use beer kits (can’s), these are almost all shit and at best make tolerable beer. All you need to make 1st class beer is as follows:

http://www.grainandgrape.com.au/articles_malt.htm

Yeast is the key to any good home booze making, especially distilling. Shit yeast means shit booze.

I have done partial mashes in the past, the results are better but the 6 hours work is hard to justify.

And my beer has beaten Coopers Sparkling Ale and James Squire Golden Ale in a 4 man blind tasting, the fuckers didn’t believe
    I hadn’t rigged it afterwards because they were criticising some of the commercial beers as being a “bit homebrewy” compared to the one before.

Check this out, the best home still you can get.

http://www.essencia.co.nz/expressstill.htm

14. 9iron

9iron
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

At that price point it all tastes like watered down horse piss. Nothing used to piss me off more in college than hearing kids argue over whether Busch Lite or Keystone was a better beer. It all sucks, it's just what you get accustomed to drinking. I usually go with Natural Light, or Extra Gold if I can find it. For a few more bucks the Canadiens have some good options, I'm a big fan of Labatt's and I know its dirt cheap if you're close to the border.

On a similar note, I am working on a bottle of Evan Williams and it is a fantastic cheap alternative to Jack Daniels.

15. TCV

TCV
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

http://www.skabrewing.com

This is my hometown brewery in Colorado and they have some great beers, Decadent, True Blonde, and Pinstripe are the best. Only thing that sucks is it's kind of hard to find outside of the four corners area, but well worth the search.

16. PoppaBear

PoppaBear
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Working on that reasoning, why even drink watered down horse piss instead of spirits? Not saying that I don't like beer, I am asking your opinion. Why not wait until you can afford beer that is pretty damn good?

17. Drewpy

Drewpy
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

I live in Minnesota so I'll give Labatt's a try. Thanks. And the reason I'm drinking beer? At the beginning of this semester I had multiple terrible nights with cheap vodka and rum, so the thought of either right now just makes me sick. Soo beer it is for a while.

18. MisterMiracle

MisterMiracle
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

The BlackJack

-Jack Daniels
    -Heavy Angostura
    -3 Lemon Wedges
    -6 Blackberries
    -Simple Syrup

"A balanced drink where the contrast of the heavy dose of Angostura, coupled with the whiskey, and tartness of the fresh blackberries plus lemons goes together like peas and carrots."

I'm a big fan of drinking at hotel bars, it's become a right of passage for me. I come from the philosophy that you should drink how you eat. Being that I'm a chef I eat very well, so I like to have cocktails that not only flavorful, but also show some measure of creativity and talent behind the pine. This drink is one of my favorites and pairs well with spicy sushi.

Attached Files:

19. Gramercy

Gramercy
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I started a scotch club and we're trying Aberlour tonight. Has anyone tried this? I feel like it will be similar to Macallan but really have no idea.

20. 9iron

9iron
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

I'm not saying it can't be enjoyable to drink, just compared to what's out there it is not very good, and to me its seems foolish to nitpick over the options. There's also a convenience factor, being able to drink without mixing a cocktail every time. Not everyone can stomach shots.
    It's good for drinking games also, when how much/how quickly you can drink takes precedent over the quality of the beverage.