Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

The Alcohol Thread

Discussion in 'Permanent Threads' started by Blue Dog, Oct 20, 2009.

1. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Cheaper than that. I've had at least half of those on that list and would gladly drink them over rocks. I'm talking about stuff that's for mixing with Coke (Zero) without thinking I'm going blind. When I try something new, I'll drink it over rocks to get an idea of its flavor. I know it's cheaper to buy bigger quantities, but it's just easier to handle and pour from a 750 ml size. So, Jim Beam in the plastic traveler bottle is sort of my reference point.

2. Currer Bell

Currer Bell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

We do, but in Virginia booze is only sold at the ABC. So the "& More" at Total Wine is basically beer, snacks and cigars.

3. jenny12many

jenny12many
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

If you're looking for a particular beverage in your area a good place to start is the TTB Cola registry:

https://www.ttbonline.gov/colasonline/p ... asBasic.do

It will return the contact info of the importer, or owner of the COLA (label approval) for that product, who should be able to tell you who the state distributor is. They should be able to give you contact info for retailers in your area that have recently purchased this product. Sucks if you're in a control state (like Currer Bell), where retail is managed by the state's ABC, but if enough requests are made sometimes they can talk the state into bringing it in their portfolio so it always helps to ask - especially via email so they have documented proof when trying to sell to the state.

And though I'm terribly biased, because my company does tons of business with Total Wine & More, they are (in my opinion) the best retailer in the country and definitely the place to start if they have a presence in your area.

4. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I am going to Mexico in mid April, I am assuming good Tequila is going to be much cheaper then it is in Canada. I have no idea on what is good or not, any suggestions on what I should pick up?

5. dewercs

dewercs
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

How much do you want to spend and what will you be using it for? If you like to sip tequila then get the best anejo you can afford, the better stuff sells for over $100 a bottle and they have some really cool bottles. Mexicans like Don Julio but even in Mexico you are still looking at $40-50 a bottle for the anejo, you will need to find a liquor store not in the main part of town that carries a good selection for the best prices or you can wait until you get to the airport duty free shop they always have a lot of tequila in Mexican airports that is reasonably priced plus they will package it for you and it is duty free.

If you are making margaritas be sure to buy a higher end orange liquor to mix in.

6. VanillaGorilla

VanillaGorilla
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded