Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

The Alcohol Thread

Discussion in 'Permanent Threads' started by Blue Dog, Oct 20, 2009.

1. CharlesJohnson

CharlesJohnson
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Gamecocks wanted the recipe. I'm sure some other folks can get some use out of this.

Feuerzangenbowle: German Fire Punsch

2 oranges
    2 lemons
    6 whole cloves
    1 cinnamon stick
    3 750Ml bottles of dry, red wine (Chiatni or Merlot, cheap)
    1 pinch grated ginger
    1 250g sugar loaf (preferably white, grocery store should carry it)
    1/2 bottle 151 rum (Imbibe recommends Batavia, a flavored exotic rum, if you can find it)

Peel the fruits so that the peels are one long strip. Stud the cloves into the rinds. Slice the fruit. Add everything EXCEPT the fruit slices and rum into a pot, simmer very gently, never boil, to meld flavors.

Using a heavy duty, fireproof punch bowl, pour the simmered punsch into it. If it has a burner under it, light it, put it on low. Using a slotted tray, suspend the sugar loaf on top of the bowl. Pour the rum slowly over the loaf, all sides; the overflow should go into the punsch. Light it. Should take 20 minutes to dissolve the sugar into the punsch. Stir to combine.

Says it makes 10-12 glasses. I'm assuming the German serving size is "pint glass."

Imbibe article recommends buying a Feuerzangenbowle kit from <a class="postlink" href="http://www.germandeli.com/Home/Feuerzangenbowle/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.germandeli.com/Home/Feuerzangenbowle/</a>. I don't want to blow $100 just yet, so I may just use a grated grill pan, like one for vegetables.

2. katokoch

katokoch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Know your bourbon...

[​IMG]

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.gq.com/life/food/201311/bourbon-whiskey-family-tree" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.gq.com/life/food/201311/bour ... amily-tree</a>

3. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

4. Gator

Gator
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Ive heard good and bad things about Angel's Envy. I havent gotten around to trying it yet but its on my list.

Ive heard some hardcore "would never mix bourbon or drink it on the rocks" people say they werent big fans.

Ive heard some other people say it was very good. Maybe a little overpriced.

I think theyve come out with mini bottles but i havent seen any around here yet. Id rather spend $10 to try it than $50 and have to mix it to drink it.

5. Gator

Gator
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I know im late to the party but I will throw my $0.02 in for whatever it's worth.

Basil-Hayden is a wheated bourbon so that may be why you dont care for that flavor.

Careful with Booker's because its bottled at cask strength. Mine is 126 proof I believe. Unless youre used to drinking stuff at that high %, Id suggest mixing it with a little water. I like mine over ice.

Some companies do come out with mini bottles but usually not the premium small batch stuff. Im not a big bar guy myself, but if im out to dinner I will try something Ive been wanting to sample so I dont waste $50 on something I dont like.

6. Currer Bell

Currer Bell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Heh, my husband bought another bottle of Booker's last night. He loves it, but only indulges every so often because $$.

A few weeks ago someone was bragging that they had gotten some Pappy Van Winkle for her father, and I thought I would find out how much it is in case I wanted to get some for my husband. Alton Brown also talks about how good it is. I literally had NO idea what was going on with that stuff until I couldn't find it in the ABC and asked one of the clerks and he said there is a three year waiting list for it. No wonder my friend was so excited, Jesus. Fricking Alton, man, pimping a bourbon that us mere mortals have to wait years to try.

7. Gator

Gator
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I found some Bookers in a ghetto liquor store on clearance because I guess they didnt sell much $50+ bourbon.

I picked up 2 bottles for $29 each. Had I have known how much Id like it, i woulda bought all they had.

Id like to find some Bookers 25th Anniversary.

8. CharlesJohnson

CharlesJohnson
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Noah's Mill. 15 year old, small batch bourbon. 114 proof, strong sour mash flavors, caramel, grain, smoke. Double gold at the 2011 San Francisco Spirits Competition. Mentioned it before, but I can't stress how good it is. $50. Probably my new favorite. So long Woodford Reserve.

[​IMG]

A bar down here sells Pappy Van Winkle. $65 a glass. If you're lucky it's a full 2 ounces. I can't imagine shelling out the price of two great bottles for a single glass.

9. Gator

Gator
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Youre paying for the mystique.

I saw on Twitter that a bar in Louisville was selling 1oz Pappy jello shots for $25 a pop.

I cant find any place in SFl that sells it by the bottle or glass.

10. Currer Bell

Currer Bell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Top shelf liquor in a jello shot? WTF is wrong with people.

11. katokoch

katokoch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

12. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I like that guy.

13. jdoogie

jdoogie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

How timely all this talk of Pappy is, since I'll be getting a free bottle hand delivered to my house tomorrow from a friend.

Now commence the hatin'.

14. Currer Bell

Currer Bell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I suppose I should clarify that I've only had jello shots once, because I'm not a fan of jello in general. They were at a mardi gras party and some had vodka, some had rum, and some had bourbon. I wasn't a big fan of any of them and disliked the bourbon ones the most. Maybe it's great for people that like jello and jello shots, but for me they might as well have just poured the booze down the sink.

15. Gator

Gator
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

That is the guy.

He said that the $10 shots let more people "try" Pappy than they ever would normally.

16. Currer Bell

Currer Bell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The guy at the ABC checked for me and none of the ABCs in the state carries this.

[​IMG]

17. AFHokie

AFHokie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Their tasting events are always awesome. Monique, the woman who runs the Dell has forgotten more about Scotch than I will ever know. She helped us pick out a bottle as a retirement gift for my flight superintendent solely based off what we knew of his beer preferences and was on point.

18. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The guy at the beverage outlet told me that this WL Weller Special Reserve was a good budget bourbon. He lied. I mean, it's awful. It tastes like somebody just let some firewood soak in running alcohol. Ugh. Ancient Age is still the best cheap stuff I've found IMHO.

19. Gator

Gator
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

How budget are you looking for?

Theres some very good stuff to be had for under $30/bottle

http://gobourbon.com/top-20-bourbons-ar ... 7041fd2dd7

20. Gator

Gator
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Do you have a total wine & more near you?