Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

The 83rd Academy Awards

Discussion in 'Pop Culture Board' started by Beefy Phil, Jan 7, 2011.

1. KIMaster

KIMaster
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I think The Social Network has an absolute lock on Best Picture. The fact that the DGAs and SGAs won against it don't mean much; King's Speech is the picture presently in theaters, and they want to give it a box office lift. (And they were successful in doing so)

That's irrelevant, though; a lot of great performances were put forth by actors and actresses that didn't have great careers, and Osmont was a prime example. Besides, who is to say that the same won't happen to Haley Steinfeld, as you mention at the end of your post? I hope it won't, but it's certainly in play.

I think it was a more complex role than that, and there were a lot of subtle touches to the performance which weren't present in Steinfeld's "smart, assertive teenage girl" role.

2. El Tee

El Tee
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

You're probably right, although the DGA's are a near certain lock for picking Best Director. The Academy rarely goes against this pick, even if the awardee wins for a non-Best Picture.

<a class="postlink" href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Directors_Guild_of_America_Awards#Winners_-_Motion_Picture_Categories" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Directors_ ... Categories</a>

That said, now that the Best Picture field has expanded to 10 films and the rules have changed, it's entirely possible for The Social Network to get fewer "first place" votes and still win Best Picture.

On this note, I warned everyone years ago that Jennifer Hudson didn't deserve her Oscar for essentially singing her way through a musical, and I don't think I've been proved wrong.

3. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Watched The Fighter last night. I enjoyed it but not a spectacular sports film. I can see why Leo got a nomination, she played a good roll and her character and performance were better than Amy Adams (in my mind). With both of them nominated I dont see how the split in votes would allow them to overcome Steinfeld for an upset.

Ive only got to watch 127 Hours, Toy Story 3, Black Swan, The Kids Are Alright, and Winters Bone to round out the best of category. Got three of them already.

4. Marjorine

Marjorine
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

He crashed his car while high five years ago.
    He did a play on Broadway, got horrible reviews and it closed a week later.
    And yeah, since then, video game voiceovers.

It really is a shame, because he showed amazing potential leading up to The Sixth Sense and had a few great performances after, namely A.I. (which I think got forgotten mostly because people wanted to forget that movie) and Secondhand Lions. Maybe if he gets his act together or gets a better agent, he can take after Joseph Gordon-Levitt instead of Brad Renfro.

As for this year, I will say Natalie Portman should and will win for Black Swan. She was mind-blowing. A shame Barbara Hershey didn't get a nomination, she was creepy as fuck and I don't understand why Kunis is getting more attention than her (not counting the BAFTAs). Well, I do understand - it's the hot lesbian action, but still.

I think this year we're going to see a split in Best Picture/Director again. I can see Fincher or Aronofsky getting the little golden man, but Best Picture going to The King's Speech. I liked The Social Network, it was well written, directed and acted, but its portrayal of women (or lack thereof) was annoying and I don't think I'm alone in thinking that.

I saw it! It was very low-budget. But Leo was fantastic in it.

5. KIMaster

KIMaster
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Portman did a fine job in a completely one-dimensional role. There was nothing wrong with her acting, but the role itself, like that of every other character in the film, was a boring cliche. She will win, but I can't imagine there wasn't a more interesting female acting performance at some point during the year.

6. mattyblu

mattyblu
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

A valid observation, but I think that was the point. That Zuckerberg and his friends didn't surround themselves with quality women, and I saw that as a reflection of his character.

Completely agree. I really enjoyed Annette Bening's performance in The Kids Are All Right. She actually played a three-dimensional character. She'd be my choice.

7. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Annette Benings character was the only one that didn't have every single flaw spoon fed too the audience, but most of them were anyway. She did alright but that movie flat out sucked. With a stronger movie she might deserve the award more, she was 10 times better in American Beauty.

8. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Did anyone see Jesse Eisenberg's exit from talking to Maria Menounos during the pre-show? What a pro.

9. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Worst hosts ever.

10. mya

mya
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Did anybody else see Blue Valentine, I loved Michelle Williams in it. I know it won't happen, but I would love for her to be a surprise win for Best Actress.

11. CharlesJohnson

CharlesJohnson
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I've got mixed thoughts on it. On the one hand it's pretty damn accurate and completely pessimistic (which is good). On the other it doesn't feel like a movie, nothing cinematic about it, nothing I take from it except a feeling of queasiness. It didn't sound written or plotted. Plays more like reality programming. Williams was wonderful in it though.

Side note: I'm not paying too much attention, but they just fucked over Roger Deakins for the ninth time for Cinematography. I noticed him, and his ridiculous losses, for "Assassination of Jesse James" because it was it was the most beautiful thing I've ever seen. He did "Shawshank Redemption" too. The academy voters must be on fucking crack.

12. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Even though he can barely move, Kirk Douglas still has all that charisma and humour in him. Good show, old boy.

13. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Amen. I went to his Wikipedia page to see how old he actually was, but apparently someone didnt waste any time changing his birthday.

Attached Files:

14. camwilson

camwilson
    Expand Collapse
    Should still be lurking

Anyone else think that The Social Network got robbed? I assume because of Academy-snobbery in terms of subject material. I didn't expect it to get best film, but I figured best director was a lock.

15. KIMaster

KIMaster
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Haven't watched either, but among my friends that have seen both, they all thought "The King's Speech" was better.

Anyways, I won some money tonight; I put in a small amount on "King's Speech" for best picture, lost a decent amount on picking Steinfeld for Best Supporting Actress, but then more than made up for it on all the extremely obvious ones; Best Actress, Actor, and Supporting Actor. Could be worse.

16. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I've seen both, and preferred The King's Speech.

Didn't really see the huge deal about Social... it was an all right movie, but there was nothing really fantastic about it to me.

17. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

In my own feelings Id say yes it was. The Kings Speech, while good, seemed too much like a prepackaged Oscar winning type film. Besides the acting performance by Firth, and to a lesser degree Geoffrey Rush, I didnt think the film had much else that stood out at all. I think The Social Network told a little more daring story and had a few more technical things going for it.

My only other thoughts are that The Fighter has been getting much more praise than it deserved. Leo definitely played a better part than Amy Adams in the film and was much more convincing job playing the white trash mom. I still don't think it was better than Steinfeld's job. Anyone else think Bale wasnt as outstanding as the critical acclaim has tried to claim? I guess I give him credit for shedding 100 lbs every other role only to beef up again but outside of that his character wasnt really that moving in his performance. Id probably say Leo was the better of the two in the movie itself. Since The Kings Speech was the other big contender I figured it was between him and Rush. Id have liked to see John Hawkes pull a huge upset. I liked him in Deadwood and Eastbound and Down, he actually put on a pretty fucking good performance as an unpredictable dangerous meth addict. He was born to play hicks.

18. iczorro

iczorro
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Were there any surprises this year? Have there been in the last decade?

Check the entertainment site pools the week before, and you already know who's winning what...

19. El Tee

El Tee
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Best Adapted Screenplay is one of the major awards, so I wouldn't say they got robbed. Plus, Tom Hooper was the DGA's pick so that Oscar was his to lose anyway.

Oh, and in case anyone is keeping track...

Batman - Oscar Winner
    Alfred Pennyworth - Oscar Winner
    Lucious Fox - Oscar Winner
    The Joker - Oscar Winner

20. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

I think Bale earned this one. I saw Kings Speech and Social Network this weekend and Kings Speech was definitely better. Yeah it's a prepackaged Oscar winner, but as we discussed in a previous thread, look at what it had to contend with in 2010.

Did Melissa Leo come off as kind of a nutjob to anyone else? She was good in The Fighter but Hailee Steinfeld deserved it by far. Colin Firth was a lock and Portman I have no clue as I didn't see Black Swan. I did see The Kids Are Alright and if Annette Benning had won it would have been based on pure politics, that movie was just so mediocre.