Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

The 6/19 Fathers Day WDT

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by shegirl, Jun 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Of the two machetes, one is plain, one is a "pro" model.

What's the difference?

2. Hoosiermess

Hoosiermess
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Best I can tell you, one is more flexible than the other with a thinner blade and saw teeth on the back. The other is thicker with a bit of a curve (forward) about halfway down the blade.

3. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

Legos will no longer be made out of plastic. Will still hurt like fuck when you step on them.

Once they figure out the new material, I'm anticipating a massive buy-up of all the "old" plastic legos. On day my son will say "dad look at this awesome soybean-base gun!!!" And I will die a little inside.

4. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I could see the lego thing coming a mile away. They stopped having sets that had Shell's logo on them.

5. Clutch

Clutch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Well, it will still be plastic, just not petroleum-based. I think that's a good thing. Even if we stop burning fossil fuels, we use oil for a shitoad of other things that also need replaced.

6. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Man I blew the excel test part of an interview I had today. There are some amazing guides on youtube but I blanked at the coding and logic. I almost want to mention it in a follow up thank you email that it's not truly representative of my excel abilities. Fucking fuck. Moving on I guess.

7. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

So... yeah. It's fucking hot here today, and just getting hotter all weekend. (Now calling for potentially 41°C, or about 105°F).

I figured I'd grab myself some cool-loving fun and picked up a 10' above ground pool from Walmart for under $80.

Quickly read the box, saw that it holds 1k litres, did the rough math... about 2.2k lbs of water. No worries.

Set it up on the deck, started filling it, and went back inside to continue working from home.

Went out to check on things, and it's taking a LONG time to fill... hmmm... re-read the box... oh shit. 1k gallons of water, or about 4k litres, or about 9k lbs of water.

Now I'm seriously wondering if my (albeit very well constructed) deck can withstand that kind of a load.

Then I remember that the house is being foreclosed on, and figure the worst that can happen is that I end up building half a deck.

So yeah... here goes nothing.

IMG_3028.JPG.jpeg

8. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

If you're worried about the deckboads put a couple thin, cheap sheets of plywood under it to distribute the weight evenly. If you don't, the extreme weight forces the pool down between the cracks of the deckboads and adds to the stress.

We have practically the exact same pool for my daughter. It IS utterly awesome to chill out in while it's hot, though. Even just standing in it for a few minutes feels amazing in summer heat.

Oh, and don't forget to cover it at night.

9. toddamus

toddamus
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

So set a camera up and when the deck fails post the video. If the deck does fail, and hopefully it doesn't there's some sexy girl in a bikini in it who doesn't get hurt

10. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Plywood won't do anything... the deck boards themselves are spreading the weight evenly.

It's about half full now, and it's the joists that are becoming a bit bouncy over the length of the span, so I'm off to Home Depot to pick up a floor jack and a short beam. It'll provide support to the joists right under the pool so it won't be a problem.

11. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Bu then how can I deny that that side of the deck even existed in the first place to the new landlord after the foreclosure?

If there's one thing I've learned from the Internets, it's "don't put incriminating video on the YouTube if you want to get away with shit".

12. toddamus

toddamus
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Well in all fairness to me and everyone else, you're legal battles are your own, us watching your deck fail, well thats something we can all enjoy

Just keep the videos of you doing whippets off youtube and you should be fine

13. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

How can you not like SpaceX more and more?

This is a pic of their new rocket landing platform that's heading out in a day or so to (hopefully) bring home their latest Falcon 9 delivery rocket.

Screen Shot 2015-06-25 at 2.57.11 PM.jpg

If you're not up on the story, there have been a few "close but no cigar" attempts at landing the rocket rather than just let it sink to the bottom of the ocean.

Needless to say that the landing attempt totally fucked up the landing barge.

14. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Elon Musk is my hero. I love rich people who both do good and have fun with their cash. My friend just dropped $150k on a Tesla. Jesus, I wanted to smack him at first and then I sat in it and all I could think was "My GOD, I would kill a child for this ride". They are unbelievably slick, coolest car I've ever seen. WANT.

SpaceX is awesome. It's recharged interest in the wonder of space travel, and I look forward to its evolution in the coming years.

15. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Jack post and support beam now in place under the deck. $45 well spent, if I do say so myself.

Pool filling resumed.

It's amazing how every little noise now sounds like the creak of a breaking joist.

16. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

Just got an early bday gift, new riding mower. The one I'm currently using needs to be taken out back and shot; I spend more time working on it than I do actually using it.

Needless to say, I am pleased.

17. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

One step closer to being One Of Us.

[​IMG]

18. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse
    Alone in the dark, drooling on himself

The fucking desert. I hate the fucking desert.
  19. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

The pool, it's full.

Screen Shot 2015-06-25 at 6.45.42 PM.jpg

The deck, it lives.

The neighbours, they jealous.

Except the old dude over the back fence... he's scowling like an old, bad guy from Scooby Doo.

20. toddamus

toddamus
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

This place is starting to remind me of a certain show with the lawnmowers and inflatable pools

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.