Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

The 2011 NFL Offseason Thread

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Blue Dog, Feb 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. john_b

john_b
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

So far so good, I suppose. I've read conflicting reports on Tyron Smith vs Costanzo but I like the pick.

2. Jimmy James

Jimmy James
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Woof. Christian Ponder. Enjoy 7-9 while everybody gets a year older.

3. palmettosc

palmettosc
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Well my roommate just burned all of his panthers gear, nice little bonfire I now know what teal smells like. As a Gamecock fan, its understandable.

4. JGold

JGold
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

That's fucked up. I don't like the pick, but that doesn't mean I'm not going to root like hell for Cam to ball out. I mean shit, he's infinitely more likeable than Jimmy Clausen.

5. Rob4Broncos

Rob4Broncos
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

So between Ndamukong Suh and Nick Fairley, do the Detroit Lions now have the meanest DT tandem in the NFL? I'd wager so. Yahoo! Sports had this to say:

Also, because it bears repeating: Von FUCKING Miller!

6. FreeCorps

FreeCorps
    Expand Collapse
    #1 Internet Boo

Well, on the one hand I like the Solder pick for depth, but I was kind of hoping the Pats would pick up Amukamara for a young CB tandem. Guess they're hoping Leigh Bodden comes back stronger than ever, but in today's league you can't have enough good corners.

7. JGold

JGold
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Someone is going to get a steal on Bowers. Early in the draft process a lot of talk mentioned him as No. 1 overall.

8. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

Am I the only one that feels all warm and fuzzy inside every time Goddell gets ass-reamed by the boos?

And to make it worse, instead of just ignoring it and continuing on his way like a man, he lets out the awkward "I know, I know" every 30 seconds.

As a Cowboys fan, I was hoping they'd get a QB (Andy Dalton out of TCU is a solid bet and local favorite)... I'm kind of torn on their pick. On one hand, I do want them to get better, and Smith will help toward that end. On the other hand, the more Romo gets sacked the closer he gets to being out of the league, so the pick was kind of a negative with that. Maybe I was just hoping they'd trade Jerry Jones.

9. Jimmy James

Jimmy James
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm not sure how I feel about Seattle drafting a massive Mekhi Phifer lookalike that nobody has ever heard of.

10. Rob4Broncos

Rob4Broncos
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Ain't that the truth. 5-corner rotations might very well end up becoming the norm before too long, at this rate.

Giants got themselves a great addition with Amukamara, though.

11. Polarfsu

Polarfsu
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

God, I hated him. Every game FSU played I always would wish they would put in E.J. He doesn't have a great arm, doesn't run out of bounds and takes the hits (that's how he separated his shoulder last season, taking on Clemson linebacker head to head)

My prediction: He'll have a few good, solid games, getting everyone's hopes up, then BOOM. Out for the season and the Vikings start looking to see whose still in free agency.

Good thing for Greenbay fans, baaaad for Vikings.

12. Puffman

Puffman
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The kid down the street Colin Kaepernick just got drafted by the San Francisco 49ers. The people are dancing in the streets. Pretty cool that this little Central California city has at this moment two kids that could be on NFL rosters this fall. Even better that I got to see both play starting in Pop Warner.

13. FreeCorps

FreeCorps
    Expand Collapse
    #1 Internet Boo

I have to say, I like the Ras-I Dowling pick, provided he stays healthy (broken ankle finally ended his season), although I really wish they'd taken a flyer on Da'Quan Bowers since having dropped like a rock might give him the motivation he needs. I don't remember seeing a guy who was considered a legitimate #1 pick before the combine drop this rapidly. And the Pats still need a legitimate pass rusher badly. Banta-Cain isn't making any D-Coordinator sweat.

Edit: Good lord, I just read this kid's injury history. He either dug up an ancient indian burial ground or he's made of papier-mache. I thought I remembered him getting injured some years back, although truth be told I don't watch a whole lot of ACC ball. But this goes all the way back to HS. Although I had the same questions about Gronkowski, so hopefully this turns out just as well.

14. Clutch

Clutch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Somehow Ryan Mallet gets picked last among the legitimate QB prospects, yet falls dick-first into the best situation. He could have half the talent of the rest and still end up being the most successful of the bunch.

15. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Took the words right out of my mouth. Haven't Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady shown that riding the pine and holding the clipboard doesn't hurt? All this throwing dudes into the fire isn't the best idea for QBs unless they came fresh off a pro-style offense. And even then not always the best.

16. Rob4Broncos

Rob4Broncos
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

In a very curious move, Wade Phillips will move Mario Williams to OLB in the Texans' new 3-4 scheme.

Thoughts? Good move or bad? I'm not too hot on it, as Williams has proven to be one of the best 4-3 pass-rushers in the NFL. Then again, Williams himself is looking forward to the switch. It's not that I think he won't succeed, but if it isn't broke, why fix it?

17. dense

dense
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Well apparently Wade Phillips is planning to use him in the same manner as he used Ware in Dallas. While Ware has been great in terms of his pash rush (80 sacks over 6 years), he's also a few inches shorter and at least 30 pounds lighter than Williams, so basically you're looking at the worlds largest OLB (in Williams). I wouldn't be shocked to see Williams rack up 15+ sacks in the 3-4, but the team drafted him with the first pick to be a DE, and he's done well there, so I don't really see the point.

18. Jimmy James

Jimmy James
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Playing DE on a 3-4 is way different than playing DE on a 4-3. The role of a 3-4 DE is to be more disruptive and engage the O-Line in front of you so your linebackers can make plays. A typical 3-4 DE doesn't get a lot of sacks for that reason. Having your best pass rusher being the end on a 3-4 line makes no sense. And giving a beast like Mario Williams a running start to the QB is patently unfair, in my opinion.

19. Rob4Broncos

Rob4Broncos
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It's not the switch to OLB I'm questioning; it's the entire move to the 3-4 scheme. A good 4-3 DE won't necessarily have the same success as a 3-4 OLB. Williams' strength in pass-rushing is, well, his strength. He's not as quick or fast as, say, Dwight Freeney or Elvis Dumervil (although, for someone his size, Williams is pretty fucking fast).

If the switch is to the 3-4, then the obvious move is to move him to ROLB. What I'm wondering is how well his game will translate from one scheme to the other. It's not always 1:1.

20. Arctic_Scrap

Arctic_Scrap
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The Vikings are getting a new retractable roof stadium. The metrodome won't be missed, what a shitty stadium.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.