Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

The 2011 NFL Offseason Thread

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Blue Dog, Feb 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JGold

JGold
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

As a Panthers fan, words cannot express how much I am dreading tomorrow's draft.

2. Jimmy James

Jimmy James
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I think now is as good as any to post what you'd like your team to draft and what you think they're going to do.

In a perfect world, I'd love Seattle to draft Jake Locker. I've watched a lot of him in college. Given that he's managed to do as much as he did with the lack of talent around him, switching systems in the middle of his college career, and having the intangibles that the great ones have, I'd love to have him on my team. I doubt he falls past Minnesota, which makes me weepy.

Since this isn't a perfect world, I'm guessing Seattle trades out of the first to recoup that 3rd rounder they gave up for Touchdown Jesus and draft lots of depth. Personally, I think Whitehurst performed solidly, if not great when he went into the final game of the season as the starter. He won a must win game, he's mobile, and he's not noodlearmed like my favorite bald 12 year old sounding QB of yore.

3. hotwheelz

hotwheelz
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

If the Broncos draft offense I'll cut a bitch.

4. Rob4Broncos

Rob4Broncos
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

As a football fan, words cannot express how much I am caught off-guard reading your post, suddenly realizing that the draft is tomorrow. Lockouts are a bitch.

As far as the Broncos go, I've had a man-crush on Patrick Peterson for the last two years. I'd love to see them draft him as Champ Bailey's successor. With John Fox in charge, though, I have a feeling they might go for Von Miller or one of the many DLs up for grabs at the top of the board. CB never seemed to be a point of emphasis for him in Carolina.

Also, in case you haven't heard:

5. Jimmy James

Jimmy James
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

6. Rob4Broncos

Rob4Broncos
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Lulz.

With the two QBs' respective skill levels and trade packages that brought them in, a 3rd and 5th for Carson fucking Palmer would look that much better by comparison, as far as Seattle is concerned. Jesus may end up riding the bench that much longer, it seems.

7. Jimmy James

Jimmy James
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I was talking about the draft tomorrow. Obviously Touchdown Jesus has to go if Seattle picks up Palmer.

8. Rob4Broncos

Rob4Broncos
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I was suggesting that they don't need a QB on the bench to groom, because they already have Whitehurst. Now, he's already 28, so he's not the future of Seattle or anyone else, but Palmer is only 31 himself. Drafting a QB to groom might not be as high of a priority for Seattle as you suggest. I don't follow them as closely as I do teams in the AFC, but if my favorite team featured Palmer backed up by Whitehurst, I'd be pissed if they drafted a QB before the 5th.

9. Jimmy James

Jimmy James
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

While Palmer is only 31, keep in mind that he's had the shit beat out of him. I'd be more than happy to get two or three years out of Palmer until whomever gets drafted today is ready to play. Palmer isn't hurting for money and it seems to me that his desire to play is proportional to how well he's treated. If he does get traded to Seattle, he's not playing more than 3 years. That sounds about the same amount of time some QB out of Cal sat behind Brett Favre. Also, not to sound cruel or anything, but I'd rather the guy that's on his way out get beat up over the franchise QB I just drafted.

10. Rob4Broncos

Rob4Broncos
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I won't disagree with you there. Drafting a QB early wouldn't be entirely unreasonable for them. However, as I understand it, Seattle has weak WR and DB corps (I could be mistaken, though). Not only that, but this QB class is being called one of the weakest in recent memory. They could wind up better off waiting until next year and using early picks this weekend on higher priorities.

Unless they took Locker, a possibility you've already mentioned. That dude can QB my team any day [EDIT: fuck]. Plus, he'd have the hometown thing going for him, I suppose. Here's some awesome film breakdown with Jon Gruden. Hate on Gruden for his MNF commentary all you want, he's smart and fun to watch while breaking down footage:

#70 Rob4Broncos, Apr 28, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  11. john_b

john_b
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Dallas Cowboys fan

What do I want them to do? Stop Jerry Jones from meddling and let Jason Garrett and the scouting guys draft. I'd love to see a draft heavy on OL, DE, DB.

What do I think they'll do? Jerry Jones will meddle, start trading or something, and they won't address their needs completely.

12. Rob4Broncos

Rob4Broncos
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Speaking of Locker, word on the street is that New England has a serious eye on him. I don't know if it's anything substantial (what pre-draft rumor is?), but that would be fucking devastating to the rest of the league if that happened. Can you imagine? Brady retires, only to have Locker take his place after a couple years of tutelage? Jesus.

I'm putting out there now, just for kicks: NE is my dark horse pick to get Locker, most likely by trading up. It's not the Pats' style, but I can see them putting themselves out there for a guy like Locker.

Call it a gut feeling, call it pre-draft boredom.

13. JGold

JGold
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Looks like Newton is a lock. Doesn't mean I won't be clinging to the faint hope of Dareus, Green or Peterson until Cam's name is actually called. Now my team will have two quarterbacks I despise! Hooray! Makes me long for the days of Kerry Collins; at least that guy knew how to party.

Also hearing the Panthers likely will trade up into the second. They have two thirds.

14. Rob4Broncos

Rob4Broncos
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Tell me about it.

Newton has 'bust' written all over him.

15. JGold

JGold
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Off to the only place I can watch this Newton debacle that's going to set the Panthers back five years: the bar. Need to have a beer in hand when that narcissistic prick holds up my beloved Panthers' jersey.

16. Rob4Broncos

Rob4Broncos
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Now, that's not a very nice thing to say about Mr. Goodell!

17. hotwheelz

hotwheelz
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Thank jesus

18. Rob4Broncos

Rob4Broncos
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Poor Panthers fans. Also, Von Miller! Woo!

I was hoping they'd take either Peterson or Miller. Awesome. I might even like this move better, for how high the pick is.

19. hotwheelz

hotwheelz
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

HIGH FIVE!

20. Jimmy James

Jimmy James
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I was shocked Locker got taken by Tennessee. I was also shocked that Gabbert lasted as long as he did. I was thinking that if this whole NFL thing doesn't work out for him, I'm sure Hanson is still touring.

Edit: Gabbert is the first guy that Goodell looks comfortable hugging.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.