Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

The 2011 NFL Offseason Thread

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Blue Dog, Feb 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

There is no more intense looking person on the face of the Earth than Shannon Sharpe.

2. Rob4Broncos

Rob4Broncos
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Broncos depth chart projects 3 rookies to be starting on week 1. Von Miller, Rahim Moore, and Orlando Franklin will be at LOLB, FS, and RT, respectively. They're all bad, bad men as far as rookies go, but I'm most interested to see how Franklin does. A monster of a lineman out of The U, all the analysts could talk about on draft day was how "mean" and "aggressive" he is. Oh, and he can play all along the O-line. Woot!

/homerism

3. RCGT

RCGT
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

My man... Looks like he had a contingency plan for Ty Warren. This is the same shit he pulled when Wes Welker kept torching the Pats in Miami, too.

I love the culture clash, with Rex Ryan saying "Fuck that guy" while the Pats shut up and toe the party line.

4. mrburgundy

mrburgundy
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Fucking Pats. Stocking up on old, big name veterans like the '04 Lakers.

I'm just happy that the rivalry has turned from the Jets trying as hard as possible to be taken seriously to Rex coming in and going 3-2 versus the Pats in the last two years. The Pats will probably keep winning the East until Brady retires, but at least now the Jets can split the season series and compete for the wild card.

5. Jimmy James

Jimmy James
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I watched a documentary on Shannon Sharpe on the NFL Network, and holy shit is he intense. I'm paraphrasing this but he basically said, "I gave up a trip to see the President after we (the Broncos) won the Super Bowl because I was training. Nobody was going to take my job from me."

Seriously? I sometimes have trouble deciding if masturbation is worth the trouble or not.

Anyway, I can't wait for Thursday. Seattle vs. San Diego on ESPN at 5 PM PDT. The only things I care about is that nobody gets seriously injured, and that Seattle has figured out how to run the ball without BEAST MODE breaking 9 tackles and causing earthquakes.

6. Nohik

Nohik
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

So what has happened with the Eagles? I got called a bandwagoner for saying they are the American Football team I like to watch while when I started sort of following them everyone said that they were never going to win anything? I dont really read the news about NFL and the names of the players they have signed dont really say much to me.

7. iczorro

iczorro
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

They picked up some very good talent in free agency. They're looking kinda scary this year.

8. Rob4Broncos

Rob4Broncos
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Not according to everyone. Honestly, does anyone take what Rex says seriously anymore? For that matter: have they ever?

9. RCGT

RCGT
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

• They've got one of the most dangerous quarterbacks in the league, Michael Vick. He can kill you with his arms or his legs, and he can singlehandedly change a game.
    • They just picked up the best cornerback in the league, Nnamdi Asomugha, as well as two very good DEs.
    • They've got a dangerous WR in Desean Jackson.
    Those are all plugged into an already-solid team that's defending the division championship. "Kinda scary" is a good way to put it.

10. Jimmy James

Jimmy James
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

These reasons are why I'll never be on the Vick bandwagon.

- The man is 31 years old and plays like he's in the sandlot. Meaning that he has a tendency to get crushed by linebackers and defensive linemen who are pissed at him for making them run more than fifteen yards. This brings me to point #2.

- He's only played a full season once. That was in 2006.

- Due to his reckless style of play, he fumbles. A lot. In years where he's had 12 or more starts, he averages a little more than 11 fumbles a year.

- He also takes a lot of sacks. With the exception of 2002, he was ranked in the top 6 for sacks taken. In 2002, he was 10th.

- He's only been successful for one year. We've seen a ton of one year flash in the pan type players in the past only to see them return back to earth the following year. Considering Vick's past of electrifying mediocrity, he's definitely in the running.

Vick is exciting as hell to watch, no question. But I wouldn't want a guy that small getting beat up and coughing up the ball that much to be leading my team. The ridiculous thing about this is that there aren't that many better QB options out there. Brees, Manning, Rodgers, Brady, Rivers. Roethlisberger, Schaub, Freeman, Ryan, Flacco in the maybes.

11. Clutch

Clutch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Which is why I actually like Vince Young as the backup. They won't have to change their offensive gameplan if the the starter gets hurt.

12. shegirl

shegirl
    Expand Collapse
    Redemption Seeking Whore

I am beyond stoked that I will be watching a game tonight. Yes, yes I know, it's only preseason and those games suck after the first quater. My answer, I don't care, it's still football. Finally.

13. Rob4Broncos

Rob4Broncos
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Philly now has Steve Smith from NY? Goddamn. Is there any position they DON'T have covered?

14. jets22

jets22
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Head Coach That Can Manage the Clock

15. dense

dense
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

I just wonder how many games Smith is going to play in, his knee got fucked up last season and there was talk about him being put on the PUP list, but both Smith and his agent are disputing that. That said, lets assume he catches around 45-60 balls for 500-700 yards, jesus, the Eagles are stacked. The only worry in my mind is Vick staying healthy, I just don't have as much faith in Vince Young as others do. Yeah he plays a similar style of football to Vick pre-leavenworth, but being a less effective version of the 06 vick isn't going to get the job done.

Enough talk about the eagles though, I just wish the Bills would give me any signs of hope. I know the QB can crush the SATs but can we try for at least six wins this year?

16. MoreCowbell

MoreCowbell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Consensus appears to be that he starts on PUP but is ready to play by the end of October.

17. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The guy is constantly on interviewing for a head coaching job, he's only going to get more into it now it is his second year. I do fucking love his one on one interviews thought. They should break that shit out into a half hour, show, I know they can get a good 23 minutes out of it him right?

Man, I sure missed the NFL Countdown guys. Anyone want to mention how Bill Belichick is already trying to crush souls? 47 in pre-season? God bless his heart.

I saw some clips from the Cardinals - Raiders game, Larry Fitzgerald looks as happy as a Larry Fitzgerald with a non-retarded QB.

18. RCGT

RCGT
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Jon Gruden is great. Another guy who's awesome is Cris Carter. He's been a guest on Mike and Mike a couple of times in the past week, and he's got some really nice insights into the locker room mentality.

As far as Billy B, he's an asshole, but he's our asshole. Plus you can't really say much when you've got your third-string QB throwing TD passes.

Sucks that the Bills are in the AFC East - between the Patriots and the Jets, you guys have been screwed for most of the past decade, and probably the next couple of years too. Too bad, I like Ryan Fitzpatrick as a player.

19. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Now I'm trying not to come from a place of fandom, but its interesting that Spygate has been mentioned alot now with Baseball steroids and now possibly the Jays caught stealing signals. Everyone has taken the stance in baseball: "Oh its bad, but if you could do it and didn't think you would get caught you would." or "Everyone was doing it, I was just doing it to catch up." I still think its bullshit to think the Patriots were the only ones doing it and from a fan point of view, the Jets HAD to be crybabies and do it. Either way. Go Pats! Oh and Billy B's "Fuck you" was directed at you Ballsack. Let's play some football! Woot!

20. Blue Dog

Blue Dog
    Expand Collapse
    Absentee Mod

Drew BREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESs

#220 Blue Dog, Aug 13, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.