Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

The 2010 Academy Awards Thread

Discussion in 'Pop Culture Board' started by Beefy Phil, Feb 2, 2010.

1. Mike Ness

Mike Ness
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Why were they making it reference to Meryl Streep then?? That wouldn't make any sense.

2. El Tee

El Tee
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I'd have to go back and watch it, so you might be right. I could have missed the implication, because Sophie's Choice doesn't quite score up there with Inglourious Basterds or Schindler's List when it comes to explicit Nazi references.*

*I mean, it does but it also doesn't. It's a kind of boring movie that takes a long time to get to the idiomatic "Sophie's Choice", which
    refers to the fact that Meryl Streep's character has to choose which of her two children is sent off to death.
    In the meantime, there is a lot of time spent in Brooklyn with Sophie, her crazy ass boyfriend, and John Cage.

3. scotchcrotch

scotchcrotch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I thought Sandra Bullock's speech was poignant and graceful. Especially when she offered to house Precious and teach her how to play football.

4. Marburg

Marburg
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

I believe the playful barbs towards George Clooney, that Sandra Bullock and some of the others displayed were purely in jest. George Clooney is a bit of a playful prankster while on set in many of his movies. Here's just a little example.

If Clooney pulled a prank on me like that I could see myself jabbing back at him on stage. It's not like Sanda Bullock dwelled on it, plus it had already been brought up before.