Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

That? That is my Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DrFrylock, Jul 21, 2011.

1. AlmostGaunt

AlmostGaunt
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

They make you angry, don't they? Fortunately, you have a gun to rid yourself of things that irritate you...

2. jordan_paul

jordan_paul
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Wow, I openly talk about shooting cats in the "It's Comming Right For Us" thread, yet you guys are picking on that person for shooting a dangerous snake.

Get the fuck over yourselves.

3. AlmostGaunt

AlmostGaunt
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I have to admit, between the hunting cats thing, your signature, and your talk about not needing credit, ever, I just assumed you were a straw man 'conservative' someone had made up to troll the lefties on the board. If you are a real person, I'm sort of scared.

4. Politik

Politik
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Edit: forgot to not feed the trolls

5. Noland

Noland
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I missed that post. Thanks for bringing it to my attention. Die in a fire.

6. Omegaham

Omegaham
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I don't really see anything wrong with hunting cats if they're overpopulating the area. They spread disease and attack pets. Spay and neuter programs are fine when the problem isn't too bad, but if there's a shitload of them, there's no civilized way to deal with them.

Mr. Paul is the only guy I've heard who shoots them, though. All the rural folks I know who had problems with clowders of feral cats running around generally used antifreeze to kill them all en masse. Cheap and effective, albeit not the nicest way to die.

Of course, there's no enjoyment that comes from doing that. It's just something that needs to be done. The second you feel GOOD about dealing death to helpless animals is the second that you should start getting help.

I don't have a problem with dove or duck hunting; they're damn hard to hit, and the satisfaction that you get from hitting one is perfectly fine. But cats? Why's that fun?

7. Trakiel

Trakiel
    Expand Collapse
    Call me Caitlyn. Got any cake?

So, uh, am I in bad taste by admitting the first thing that crossed my mind about the shot snake was how far away it was and how many shots it took to kill it? Because if she just saw it 20 feet away or so and killed it with a single headshot while it was presumably slithering along that seems like pretty damn fine marksmanship to me.

8. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

Actually, catching, spaying/neutering, and then releasing is a better way to control a population of feral cats. When you simply eliminate members of the population, the adult cats will have more kittens to fill in the space. There's this thing called Carrying Capacity--and if there are a shitton of cats in a barn, then K must be fairly high. If you make the adults of the population unable to create new cats, eventually the sterile population will just die off.

9. Crazy Wolf

Crazy Wolf
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Even when the .308 round is a hunting round that has already penetrated a barrier before striking the ballistics gel? I am not an expert, so if you have a .308 and some meat you're willing to shoot, would you mind putting it behind some common wall materials, firing, and looking at the results? I get the feeling that you might have more experience with full metal jackets.
    Consistency and reliability are what is being argued. Will 5.56 consistently and reliably kill people on the other side of a wall? The contention is that 5.56 rounds, in this case M855 62gr FMJ and Winchester's 69gr OTM, have a higher chance of being nonlethal after penetrating a wall.
    With proper shot placement, yes. But this started as a mention about the use of AR-15s, usually in 5.56, as a home defense tool, with the reason that they are used (besides being super-tacticool looking and letting you accessorize them more than a Barbie doll) being that a stray round or a round that has gone through a bad guy will be less likely to kill someone on the other side of the wall behind said bad guy. This would suggest that you are not aiming at the person on the other side of the wall, and so "shot placement" on this bystander is a bit of a crapshoot.
    There's an awful lot of factors at play here. Shit happens and different people respond differently to getting shot. Apparently a problem white folks often encountered when doing something to expand their respective empires was encountering locals who didn't get the "when you're shot, you're supposed to fall down and die" thing, and apparently these locals had a propensity to keep fighting despite getting plenty of bullets pumped into them (evidently none to the CNS or heart). If I recall correctly, this caused .45 LC Peacemakers to be reissued when the US tried their hand at suppressing the Moros, and is one of the reasons that the M1911 has that same diameter bullet, as evidently .38 wasn't quite cutting it.
    Wait, which chart are you using? In the chart on this page, all of the spherical rounds penetrated more deeply than the pointed rounds. Your final sentence I quoted ^ is what the chart showed.
    I respect your opinion, and I have a hunch that whatever you've been doing to keep other people from shooting you to death has been working out pretty well so far. As I have no firearms currently, I have no vested interest in defending this caliber/ammunition choice, so if you can find some good solid scientific evidence for a better round for killing a person on one side of the wall, but keeping folks on the other side of the wall safe, I'd love to see it. As is, it seems that the best option for keeping folks on the other side of the wall safe is to have really, really thick walls.

As for the cat-killing: I like cats and currently have access to the most adorable kitten ever, but farm cats fuck like bunnies and are a fair sight meaner than them too. A bullet to the head should be fairly humane, and the heart wouldn't be a bad choice either. Jordan_paul makes himself out to be a dick, so I'm not sure he's going for the headshots, but the job needs to be done and it's a fair sight better for the local living things (besides the cats) than leaving out tins of antifreeze or leaving antifreeze-poisoned meat around.

I have a hunch that spaying all of the cats is a bad idea, because a certain level of barn cats is good for keeping the vermin population down, and a self-sustaining population with a largeish/random pool of gamete donors is less likely to result in inbred tard-kittens.

10. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

What is wrong with having 1 or two adult cats who are spayed? How long do cats live, 5 years? 8 years? People are always giving kittens away for free, too. It's not a very expensive proposition.

If the population is really that large in the barn, they'll have other associated problems like disease. There's no reason to have a little cat farm in your barn.

11. Crazy Wolf

Crazy Wolf
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I wouldn't know, would some adult cats with no competition and no biological imperative to fight and eat be as good of ratters? Is there a forum member who has some cats that are for use as pest control, rather than as pets that occasionally bring them a mouse as a present?

...a steady supply of fur, milk, and meat?

12. Trakiel

Trakiel
    Expand Collapse
    Call me Caitlyn. Got any cake?

Well, even though my cat is fed and fat she's a dilligent mouser and will pretty much chase and kill and eat anything that skitters about, from mice to bugs.

Back to the topic of guns, and maybe this is for the other gun thread, but how expensive is the hobby? I was thinking about getting an AR-15 based rifle, and looking around the internet the cost of the weapons themselves didn't seem so bad, but when I then looked up the cost of ammo I was a bit put off. It seems to me that if you're an avid shooter you could easily go through several hundred dollars a week on ammo alone.

13. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

The driving force behind getting a barn cat to satisfactorily rid your barn of vermin is to not feed them "cat food" every day, or at least, not much of it. They get hungry, and they hunt. Even domestic cats that are fed every day have a tendency to kill all the birds and squirrels in their yard. That's the reason barn cats even exist: because they do their thing with no training. It is instinctual.

14. TX.

TX.
    Expand Collapse
    The Mad Pooper

I've seen my cat kill and eat all kinds of bugs and spiders that creep indoors. He's been doing it since he was a kitten. The first week I had him I watched this teeny tiny 3 month old kitten pounce on a big-ass, ugly spider. The next thing I knew Cute Kitty had big-ass spider legs sticking out of his mouth as he devoured him. It was cool.

I live in the heart of the city. There's no telling how much a cat out in the country kills.

15. katokoch

katokoch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

One of the main reasons I like sticking to .22s for now is how damn cheap they are compared to centerfires. 500 rounds can cost less than $15, compared to hundreds if not thousands. Even the match stuff is good. When I had a lot more time to shoot a few years ago, I shot thousands of rounds a summer and it was easily affordable. If you take care of a .22 and clean it right, you just can't wear it out. The match stuff can cost more than 10x more than that, but I don't shoot nearly as much as I used to.

Rimfire rifles are a lot less expensive to begin with, and good rimfire rifles with good optics can cost less than a centerfire rifle alone.

Once they get out there in the wild, they are predators and can kill up to 1000 animals a year. No joke.

16. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I agree with .22 comment. Thats all I pretty much shoot. You can get a decent 22 rifle between $100-200 and it will last you for many years. They are great for plinking as well. This is mine. I just got it about a month ago from the CZ company. Slightly more expensive but it should last me forever.

I also have a big fuckin' Russian WW2 rifle that cost me $100 at a gun show and the ammo is cheap for it. But the thing is a cannon and painful to shoot after 20-30 rounds. But its damn fun.

Attached Files:

17. katokoch

katokoch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

This is another formerly Communist-made .22. An East German made copy of a popular West German target rifle. They were used in Olympic Biathalons.

It's a Suhl 150-1, manufactured the same month I was born. I bought it for half of what the market value is in a mass import a couple years ago. I got lucky. It shoots like hell, and is still affordable to take to the range often.

[​IMG]

18. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

[​IMG]

Best plinking and varmint gun around (a .22 with hollow points and a well-aimed shot is a great varmint gun).

And brings more than a little nostalgia.

19. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

We never had cat problems in my grandpas barn. We did have a ground hog problem and those fucking things ruined many a concrete floors. Other than sitting outside in a van and rolling down the window and blasting them with a .223 we used to bate them with traps inside. Instead of letting them go somewhere else, creating holes and ditches that could be bad for tractors, I was tasked with shooting them in the head with a .22 making sure not to hit the metal of the trap.