Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

That? That is my Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DrFrylock, Jul 21, 2011.

1. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

You know what other situations "happen?" Bar fights where someone hits the pavement and slips into a coma. It is a random crap shoot.

There have been a few campuses and states that have allowed guns in bars, they havent turned into the wild west. I think you under estimate peoples apprehension to use them in only but the most life threatening situations. For your average citizen who wants to protect themselves, using a gun carries a shit ton of consequences. For starters I think your average defense bill in court if you do use a gun in self defense starts in the 10k range, not to mention the fact that you will be facing a slew of felonious charges if you do wield a gun willy nilly. A prison sentence is a huge deterrent for any common person who gets tapped on the shoulder in a bad neighborhood.

I say we kill the thread before we derail it any more with political arguments.

2. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I agree with closing it. When someone feels that guns kill people and not the asshole holding it, there is absolutely no chance of changing their mind.

3. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I'm not going to close it.

Just because people are making silly conclusions based on non-facts that they saw on TV doesn't mean that it'll ruin it for the rest of us.

If anything, this might educate someone a bit.

It's a polarizing subject, and like many others, driven my emotion rather than education and information.

4. Devils Advocate

Devils Advocate
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Those of you are that are jumping to conclusions, or having some odd assumptions about firearms, how many of you have actually fired a gun? How many of you know how to handle a firearm? How many of you have taken a safety/informational course on firearms?
    What kind of security do you use/have in your house?

Mods, I don't mean to derail this thread, but I would like to have some background, and maybe a little insight on those that are coming to this drastic conclusions.

5. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Its awfully quiet in here, anti-gun people. What say you?

6. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

As far as I'm concerned, go right ahead and feel however you like about any subject you want... that's your prerogative and I respect that.

But don't come in and spew bullshit as if it was fact unless you have something to back it up.

If you don't like guns, or guns scare you, or you don't believe in personal carry privileges, that's cool. Just don't try and justify those feelings by making unfounded and unsubstantiated comments.

7. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

BUT ANECDOTAL EVIDENCE IS SCIENCE!!11!ONE!

8. Nick

Nick
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I don't own guns, but have no opposition to those who do. I'm a little creeped out by those people who feel they need to own guns because they are absolutely certain that they will need it for self-defense. I just never understood that level of conviction. It's almost cult-like.

I've also heard statistics that people who are in possession of guns are something like 4 or 5 times more likely to be shot in an assault than those who do not. I can't quote a source on this, so I maybe way off base. Can anybody shed some light?

9. sartirious

sartirious
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I'll say it before, and I'll probably say it again: Don't hold strong opinions about things you don't understand!

The vast and overwhelming majority of people that I know that are firm in thier beliefs in firearms, also know next to nothing about them. They may have grown up with them around the house, or even shot one with a friend that one time - but they haven't gone through the hurdles that are required to carry and possess legally. Those barriers-to-entry are in place for a reason, and do a damn good job of informing a potential conceal-carry licensee about the liability they are about to assume.

It's about as ludicrous as elderly white men passing legislation to contol the reproductive rights of young women...oh wait, never mind.

10. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

People who carry concealed(which is who I'm assuming you are talking about) don't have a license to use it whenever they want to. There has to be a justifiable reason to use deadly force. Granted, that might get sorted out by the courts later on. They can't just pull it out and fire away whenever someone just comes up to them with no threatening behavior. If they do shoot someone, and it wasn't warranted, they get in trouble just like everyone else.

From my personal experience, people who actually do carry a concealed handgun(my dad and some of his friends) do not want to actually use it. Its there in case they have to. And in south Florida, ya just never know.

11. Judas

Judas
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I'm at work and tonight I'll post an actual thought out post regarding my views on the subject. I realize a few of the things I initially posted were off the cuff with no factual data supporting them, but they were the first things that popped into my mind. I feel like that, coupled with the fact many people misinterpreted my first post to say that I think concealed carry laws and gun ownership are bad, made me look like an uneducated asshole, which I partially am.

I'll leave this until later.

12. lhprop1

lhprop1
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The violent crime rate among CCW holders is staggeringly low. For you statistics nerds out there, it would be deemed "statistically insignificant" (less than 2 one thousandths of a percent). <a class="postlink" href="http://www2.hernandotoday.com/content/2010/jan/08/ha-gun-control-advocates-play-fast-and-loose/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www2.hernandotoday.com/content/2 ... and-loose/</a>

In MN, it's .04. That's half of the legal limit for driving.

13. BrianH

BrianH
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

You'd be shocked how little training money most law enforcement officers get per year. However many bullets you think they shoot per year, divide that by 10. Or more.

Your second sentence is exactly what I'm talking about. An M-4 is an OFFENSIVE weapon. It's an absurdly dumb choice for home defense. Great varmint gun, at best, but it's designed to enter rooms and hurt people, not defend your family. 5.56 is WAY too hot a round for a house gun, and if you have a weapons light on your home defense gun you need to get more convenient light switches. Patrolling the halls with a Surefire-equipped M4 is a good way for innocent people to get shot. Passable in combat, horrific at home. Flood lights and a shotgun are a much better choice.

14. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

It's been a pretty hot subject in the States lately, especially people fighting for the right to carry firearms in what I think are dumb places. One really stuck in my head: bars. Most of you on here like your guns and I'm completely cool with that. Pretty much all of you seem logical and safety conscious about them, but BARS? I mean, public is one thing. I could walk past ANYBODY on the street, they may or may not be armed. Whatever, it's never been a concern. But a crowded place with booze fuelling everybody's personality? How could this end in anything but disaster?

15. katokoch

katokoch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Even twelve pine boards can't stop a 5.56 round, which is no surprise but pretty scary when collateral damage is considered.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot1_2.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot1_2.htm</a>

Thus the reason for having super strict BAC limits for concealed weapons.

16. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Agreed. However, they also have strict BAC requirements for driving a car, and that doesn't stop people from sidewalk bowling. I don't picture people going to the bar and volunteering to be the D.D. just so they can keep their gun on them. Plus, if the customers are armed, I fear that bars will feel the need to start arming their "crack" security of meatheads. Instead of fisticuffs and a good old fashioned "And STAY out!" to end the ruffian's night, you may get a John Woo movie.

Was Plexico drunk when he nearly shot his unit off? I mean, even in the Old West guys had to check their guns. I saw Unforgiven. Couldn't they at least extend this courtesy so some drunk fuck catching his old lady making out with another dude on the dancefloor red-handed doesn't spray a crowd of people in a crime of passion?

Picture the intellectuals below with handguns:

#56 Crown Royal, Jul 25, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  17. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I'm more worried about bad/drunk/stupid drivers than I am about someone with a valid CCW.

18. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Look, there are stupid people in the world. They are stupid and dangerous even before you "imagine" them with guns.

Don't make stupid hypotheticals out of them to try and prove some point that makes no sense.

Or driving a car.
    Or with a bat.
    Or with a knife.

What has guns got to do with any of that?

Take a break from this thread... you're pissing me off.

19. Devils Advocate

Devils Advocate
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I like how my questions were ignored.

20. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Years ago I used to compete in what is called Olympic 5-Gun competitions. We invited the local cops out to train with us to help get us ready for a few upcoming competitions, and it was kind of shocking that most of them couldn't really shoot that well.

We were shooting small, Olympic targets anywhere from 20 to 50 metres, and these guys were bad. I mean, really bad. We didn't expect them to do well at things like the free pistol, as that takes a fair bit of training and special hardware, but even simple "closest to the bull" with .22 and .32 were scary. As in they couldn't hit the black, for the most part, never mind the bull. And these were the "good" shooters that scored in the top of their testing.

Needless to say all but one guy never came back. That one guy eventually became a member of our team.

But to speak about the amount of training money they had, I was shocked to learn that they got 10 shotgun rounds and 100 pistol rounds per year as part of their job. And they had to do their qualifying with those same rounds.

I'm not sure how this relates, but they also said that their firearm training was focused on safety, and WHEN to draw and fire their weapon, and not really on doing it well or improving their abilities.

The guys that wanted that got outside coaching and paid for it themselves.

The only exceptions were the SWAT members.