Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

That really happened? Why has no one told me about this?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by downndirty, Mar 5, 2010.

1. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

2. Virty

Virty
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

FOCUS: Personally, I love Robert Greene's books for this very reason. They are all full of cool stories, some you've heard of, some you haven't. The really cool thing though is he always ties them back into a lesson, being that it is a book about power, seduction, love or 50 cent.

Take for instance Miyamoto Musashi, genius samurai, wrote Book of Five rings. Basically this guy, killed this guys father in a duel. Pissed off, rightfully so his son challenges Musashi to a duel. But this son is a prick, and Musashi knows it so as opposed to showing up late like his status quo, he shows up a little early. So like anyone would do he lies in the bushes waiting, watching. This guy shows up with a bunch of dudes, like the asshole he is. They start bullshitting, standing around, Musashi sick of hearing this bullshit jumps up and slashes the son in the face. Being a badass samurai and all he runs at them, making sure to angle them so they block each other. Slashing heads left and right, he kills what I'm probably guessing like 30 dudes. Bing bang boom he is done for the day proving once again, to be a badass. That is just one of the many obscure tales in that book.

Directors should seriously just read any of those books, hire some good fucking writers and take some poetic license. Seriously.

edit:spelling, ugh.

3. LessTalk MoreStab

LessTalk MoreStab
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Please excuse the Wiki quote

So Musashi butchered a 12 year old boy then legged it. I'm not saying it wasn't tactically sound or politically expedient, just a bit of a douche act.

Focus: William Marshal

<a class="postlink" href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Marshal,_1st_Earl_of_Pembroke" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Ma ... f_Pembroke</a>

4. Eidon

Eidon
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Cracked has dozens of articles that apply directly to this topic. I suggest looking up "Five Real-Life Soldiers who Made Rambo Look Like a Pussy," but beyond that this is probably my favorite "obscure" history one:

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.cracked.com/article/238_5-inspiring-acts-kindness-by-terrifying-crime-syndicates/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.cracked.com/article/238_5-in ... yndicates/</a>

5. Benzilla

Benzilla
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

6. breakylegg

breakylegg
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I recall seeing this story on Masterminds on TRU TV about an ex-SEAL who got busted for robbing fast-food joints by drilling into them at night. After a month in prison, he mail-ordered a bunch of sew-on patches and disguised his prison outfit and climbed into the wheel well of a laundry truck. He made it to a small town and went into Wal Mart and NEVER LEFT. He lived in Wal Mart. He lived on baby food and had manipulated their security cameras and would come and go as he pleased. He then robbed the store pretending to break in but he never left. Because by then he lived in the abandoned Circuit City next door. He was engaged to a prominent businesswoman when they finally caught him. One smart motherfucker.

7. Happy

Happy
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikola_Tesla

The only mention of him in Hollywood that I can recall is in The Prestige, where he is a secondary character. What he is rumored to have accomplished is utterly insane and fascinating.

8. NeonWraith

NeonWraith
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

I'll second Tesla. Hell, there's a theory that the man was responsible for the Tunguska Explosion (no way of being sure, but *still*)

Boudicea/Boudicca was pretty hardcore, too, though she's actually fairly well known in the UK. They're even reasonably sure where she's buried, but they can't verify it as their best guess is under one of the platforms for St. Pancras train station.

9. Bundy Bear

Bundy Bear
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Being a Kiwi there are two guys that I have always held a great amount of respect for Burt Munro and John Britten. Munro modified a 1920 Indian Scout to break a land speed record in his 60s that still stands today and Britten built a superbike in his backyard that won numerous world racing events. Munro even had a movie made about him called The Worlds fastest Indian, Anthony Hopkins is awesome in it.

For those bike freaks and racing enthusiasts out there have a read of these.

http://www.motorcyclemuseum.org/halloffame/hofbiopage.asp?id=381

http://www.britten.co.nz/history/johnbritten.html

10. Captain Apathy

Captain Apathy
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Jan Baalsrud. He cheated death so often you have wonder if he didn't have a bet going. David Brooks wrote a column about him earlier this month.

11. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

The real lesson from Musashi is that he started off as a low-life, wife beating, alcoholic thug who regularly mugged and terrorized his village, and had no regard for life.

He then went through some harsh life lessons, hit rock-bottom, eventually became self-aware of his faults, and became very ashamed of his previous actions.

He spent the remaining years of his life being singularly focused on mastering what he referred to as his "single way", doing all he could to make amends for his previous transgressions and becoming a better person through self-improvement and helping others. He went from his village's thug to it's champion.

One of the results of his self-improvement is the Book of the Five Rings, in which he shares his philosophy of that Single Way mastery.

12. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

The (surprisingly not well-known) 1917 Halifax Explosion:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

also:

Cool Hoover Dam fact (from what I was told there):

99 people died building the Hoover Dam. The last man that died there was the SON of the FIRST man that died there. Seriously, how fucked up is that?

13. Stealth

Stealth
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

14. LessTalk MoreStab

LessTalk MoreStab
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Hill 60 - A bunch of Aussie Diggers set off the biggest explosion in human history (Prior to Hiroshima) right under the German lines, vaporising over 10,000 Hun.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.beneathhill60.com.au/background.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.beneathhill60.com.au/background.htm</a>

And they are making a movie about it.

15. Stealth

Stealth
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

16. Diogenes The Cynic

Diogenes The Cynic
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

If you ever wondered why English is such a fucked-up language, you have the Vikings to thank.

Back in 1066 they fought, and were soundly defeated by the English in the Battle of Stamford Bridge.

Just a few WEEKS later, the Normans landed and fought the English in the Battle of Hastings. These guys were depleted, and many fighting in Hastings were walking wounded from the previous battles, and they had to fight against an even number of Norman warriors. They lost, and a vestige of this loss is reflected in the way we speak English today.

The mind-blowing part of all this? This happened as a result of a few battles involving just a few thousand guys. Think about that next time you have to use the dictionary because you can't figure out how to spell a word in English.