Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Thanks for your honesty, dad. There goes my college fund

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bewildered, Aug 17, 2011.

1. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

I was watching the morning news with my dad this morning and a report came on that gave us a lot to talk and wonder about.

Two boys attended a hockey game with their father. As part of a halftime entertainment contest, a ticket was drawn for one of the spectators to come down and take a difficult shot with a $50,000 prize. The boy whose ticket was pulled took the shot....and made it. One small problem though: the actual kid was outside, and the father pushed forward the kid's twin brother to go ahead.

No one would have known this happened except for the dad being completely honest about it. What will end up happening in this situation is unknown, and could go either way depending on how you argue it.

Focus: What do you think will happen vs what should happen? Should the kid keep the money or is he disqualified from the contest?

Alt Focus: when did you spill the beans and cause absolute mayhem?

2. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

3. effinshenanigans

effinshenanigans
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Reminds me of this:

Personally, I think Dukes (or whatever that kid's name is) should get the money. It's not like the ticket was stolen--his brother took the shot. They even admitted it wasn't the brother who had the ticket when they could've completely gotten away with it since they're identical twins. Honesty wins in this one as far as I'm concerned and they should get paid.

As far as what will actually happen, I wouldn't put it past any company to get out of shelling out $50K based on a technicality. I hope they don't, but I wouldn't be surprised.

#3 effinshenanigans, Aug 17, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  4. Happy

Happy
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

The company or team, whomever is paying the money, has a VERY big opportunity here.

They can keep their 100k on a technicality. And then probably lose much more than that in bad image and press.

Or they can come up with something creative for the kiddies, let them split it, maybe double it for the twin factor, whatever. In doing so, they can easily make it up in good PR, and increased business.

Seems an easy choice for me.

5. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

They could be real assholes and make the other twin take a shot for double or nothing.

6. Frank

Frank
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

If insurance companies acted as a cohesive machine where it's everyone's directive to look at the bigger picture and their incentives were tied to the overall well being of the company more than specific things like a claim payment I would probably agree.

Unfortunately there is a claims adjuster or underwriter or whatever that could lose a chunk of their bonus because of this and will see nothing if the company gets extra money from good PR. But based on the press the story is receiving a big wheel in the company may step in and make the decision.

7. Frank

Frank
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Oh, and I hope the family gets nothing, you know why? Because fuck them, that's why. You KNOW the dad is expecting to still get the prize money because he's doing the right thing. He wants it both ways, to alleviate his conscience and get the money.

If there's a lesson to be made here it should be that doing the right thing can come at a price, the good guy doesn't always win, deal with it.

As for me, if I thought I would get away with it, I would totally pocket the money. I guarantee there is going to be more than $50,000 in lost productivity between the insurance company and the event runner anyway. Keeping the money would have really been the right thing to do for everyone involved, I'm such a good guy.

8. ASL

ASL
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I hope they split it between the kids, that seems like the best action to take.
    However, I really wouldn't be surprised if they blew off the family and didn't distribute the money. It seems to be big news now, but if they draw it out a bit, the issue will die off, and they can keep not paying quiet.

9. rei

rei
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

What a great lesson to teach an eleven year old who stepped up for his brother while he was taking a piss. That clearly is the right and correct course of action in this scenario.

10. TX.

TX.
    Expand Collapse
    The Mad Pooper

What should happen: like others have said, the two boys split the money.

Will will probably happen: neither will get a cent.

Earlier this summer a girl (http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2011/05/12/local-teen-learns-it-pays-to-do-the-right-thing/) in the metroplex turned in $2,000 she found at a mall. Because of her honesty, donations started pouring in for a college fund for her. I wish there were more stories like this where doing the right thing is rewarded.

11. lhprop1

lhprop1
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

This is only the beginning. I forsee a future of woman swapping and all sorts of other mischief for these two. I hope they get a reality show.

12. Frank

Frank
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Here's the thing though, doing the right thing often comes at a cost, that's just reality. If you give them the money the lesson is "doing the right thing means you get the good feeling AND the reward" and when he gets an extra ten bucks back at the grocery store and tells the clerk, he'll get pissed that they take it back and don't let him keep it for doing the right thing. Being a good person is about being a good person, not rewards, not karma, it's about doing the right thing even if you come out on the losing end of the transaction.

Saying that they are being "punished" by not getting the money is fucking stupid, they won it through fraud, I'm not saying it was unfair or that they were being nefarious, but it was still fraudulent. Let me ask you this, if someone hit your car and did $10,000 worth of damage to it, but owned up and wrote a note with their information would you just write it off and pay it yourself because they did the right thing?

If being a good person was rewarded this way, everyone would be a good person.

13. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

This one is for the ages:

About three years ago in my city, some shmuck armoured car guard for Brinks for some unknown reason left one of those cloth bags they should NEEEEEEVER let out of their site in a Tim Horton's foyer. Why it would just be sitting in a fast food airlock is beyond me, but get this: a 65 year old man found it, and its content of $88,000 COLD HARD CASH. He drove it right to the front door of Brinks here in town. Seriously. I had to read it in the paper to believe it.

A courtesy of pure steel.

14. hoju

hoju
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Or...
    Some dude found a bag, opened it, and "HOLY SHIT! There's a lot of cash in there. What the fuck do I do? Can I keep it? No, no fucking way this is real. Are there cameras around? Possibly. Almost certainly. OH SHIT, my fingerprints are on this now. Someone is going to be really concerned about this missing money. Fucking hell. I'm going to take this back and hope to god that I don't get pulled over on the way and have to explain that I was only trying to return the $88K in missing cash."

Also, what could an average person do with a missing $88K? You can't just deposit it at your bank. You can't spend it because its probably traceable. Unless you know how to launder money, you have a bunch of cash that you have to store in your mattress until the heat wears off and hope to shit that when you use it, no one notices.
    Courtesy? Maybe. Common sense? Yes.

15. $100T2

$100T2
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I said the same thing about LeBron: Sign for the minimum, let Cleveland bring in a shit load of talent, get your hometown the championship.

Newsflash: He took the money and went to Miami.

I doubt they get paid. The Dad is a dipshit for ratting them out. Take the money and run.

16. dixiebandit69

dixiebandit69
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

A similar event happened to me about 5 years ago. I had just gotten out of work, and my ex-wife called me up with some sob-story asking for $30. And it had to be cash.
    Being the soft-hearted individual that I once was, I went to the drive-through of the nearest branch of my bank and wrote out a withdrawl slip for $40 (I figured I'd use the extra $10 to buy a 40 and a pack of cigarettes).
    This was approximately 4:55 PM. Right before they closed.
    I took the envelope out of the canister, and it felt too thick for $40, unless they decided to give it to me in $5 bills.
    I opened the envelope, saw a bunch of $20 bills and just drove off.
    It turns out they gave me 400 dollars instead of 40.

My heart was racing, and I did buy a 40 (to get change, of course!) and I chugged it on the way to my ex-wife's house.

Then I called some of my friends to ask for advice. Everyone asked for a loan, but no one had any real advice.

The next day, I got a call from my bank, asking for their money back (it's worth mentioning that I hadn't spent any of the $360 yet). I told them that I didn't know what they were talking about, and bid them farewell. They called again, claiming that they knew I was the one who was accountable for the $360 discrepancy in their books, based on the time-frame that it happened in.
    Once again, I said I didn't know what they were talking about and hung up.

This wasn't looking good, and I needed real advice. I called a friend (whom I wasn't on good terms with at the time) that worked at a bank for a couple of years, and she said that because all transactions in a bank are being recorded, there was a slim-to-none chance that I could get away with this (without having the money deducted from my account; or they could choose to press criminal charges).

I could have chosen to fight the bank, but in the end, it wouldn't be worth the effort for $360. I'd be better off trying to stick the place up.
    You would think that with all of their stupid, bullshit transaction fees they would just call it even, but NOOOOO.
    I FEEL REALLY, REALLY BAD ABOUT DOING THE "RIGHT" THING.

17. scootah

scootah
    Expand Collapse
    New mod

Dude, seriously? How the fuck is that the 'right' thing? A teller fucked up, was probably reprimanded or fired over the incident, and you lied about it twice after they made it clear that they knew it was you, looked for every possible way out of it, and when you found someone who could reliably confirm that you had fuck all chance of getting away with your shitty act, you accepted that you were backed into a corner and you'd get caught and punished if you continued not being a good person.

Also, seriously, are you actually a brilliant parody? a $30 must be cash emergency and an extra $10 for smokes and a 40? Were you listening to banjo music and wearing cowboy boots through the events in question? Were you dropping the $30 at your ex wife's trailer? Have you ever been part of an episode of Dog the Bounty Hunter or COPS?

18. Frank

Frank
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Anyone know how the original story ended up?

You know, it's funny looking at your avatar while reading posts on how to be a good person (not that I disagree).

19. StayFrosty

StayFrosty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Don't forget chugging a 40 while driving. I don't dun think that was such a good idea.

20. Harry Coolahan

Harry Coolahan
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Sometimes I think dixiebandit and ballsack are the same person from the separate spectrums of social class.