Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Thank God for my Man-Child Father

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DrFrylock, Mar 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Misanthropic

Misanthropic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

So did I, so it was cool that there was one in the yard of the home we bought.

Then the adult world intruded - many homeowners insurance policies either won't cover you if you have a treehouse, or the cost rises substantially. And many was the time we looked out back to see one of the neighborhood kids up in the treehouse, leading to the fear that we would be fucked if some kid climbed up there unsupervised and fell out. I've removed the access "ladder" nailed onto the tree, and the whole thing is coming down this year.

2. Arctic_Scrap

Arctic_Scrap
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

That's pretty cool and all to have a themed bedroom when you're 10, but what happens when you're in your teens and you start having girlfriends? Wanna come play in my pirate ship?

3. Thorgouge

Thorgouge
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I can only imagine the hi-jinks that will take place if someone were to break into that house and be defeated by a 6 year old and a slide.

4. rei

rei
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I don't think it's reasonable to assume that parents splurging on one really fucking cool thing for their kid is indicative they will fail to properly educate him on the value of a dollar.

5. Racer-X

Racer-X
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

When I was a kid I always wanted a Power Wheels jeep but my parents would never get me one. Now I've found that there are people out there modifying power wheels with larger electric motors and gas motors. I will almost certainly do this whenever I finally get a place to live with a garage.

I also love the idea of having a secret room or a hidden passageway. This guy made a hidden door for a storage closet which is pretty cool and doesn't look overly difficult.

#25 Racer-X, Mar 4, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  6. roy jones

roy jones
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Fuck you guys and your hippy lovin "society is unfair" view of life. Listen, Brita. Some people in this life have money. Some of these people spend money. Fuck you for throwing a fit that the father is not redistributing money to whiney bitches like you with an internet connection. The problem with Sweet 16 is not the money spent. It`s the fucking bratty girls whining they got a beamer instead of a ferrari. It`s the expectancy that the world owes these girls millions of dollars. It`s kind of like what you`re doing here. Focus: I guarantee this kid will want a different room by the time he`s 13 because it`s not cool. By 16, he`ll appreciate it when he pillages the school`s cheerleading squad. Good for daddy.

7. Fernanthonies

Fernanthonies
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

You get laid? Constantly?

8. TX.

TX.
    Expand Collapse
    The Mad Pooper

When I was a kid my dad got transferred every 2-4 years so we weren't allowed to do anything really "fun" with our bedrooms. My mom didn't want to invest the time/energy for something that she'd just have to take down in a year when the house was up for sale. The most I ever got to do was have my room painted pink.

I think most of my fantasies ended up being accomplished. Some of them were just unrealistic and things I'm not interested in. I fantasized about living outdoors and traveling to every single country in the world.

If I ever have kids they're going to have a kick-ass swing set in the backyard and an indoor gym with rock climbing, slides, swings, a mini-stage and lots of games.

9. MoreCowbell

MoreCowbell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Your parents are still alive? 130-year-olds can use email?

10. lostalldoubt86

lostalldoubt86
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I think you should all stop over-thinking this and just accept that this kid sleeps in a pirate ship. Who cares if he's spoiled, it's awesome and everyone who is over-analyzing this needs to stop being an adult for a minute.

11. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

To paraphrase George Carlin: Everyone richer than you is an asshole, everyone poorer than you is lazy.

12. $100T2

$100T2
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Watch this. It's fucking awesome.

I want to build my kids a playhouse in our back yard that looks like the Millennium Falcon, but the wife is saying no. I bet I could get away with a pirate ship though.

#32 $100T2, Mar 4, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  13. Disgustipated

Disgustipated
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

.. by wenches.

I'm with Nettdate, I want one now.

14. misnomer

misnomer
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

"Requesting entry to poop deck."

15. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Focus- I always wanted to be a big actor/comedian since I was really young. I had loved going too the Little Shop of Horrors musical that's an annual hit around Cincinnati. I had been a smash, and really liked getting laughs as the gingerbread man in a first grade play. The biggest thing was my cousin, who was the star in his highschool plays. I idolized him more than anyone in the world when I was little. My mom recognized my interest and thought about pushing me into child roles at UC where she worked at the time. She never did and left to my own vices was too chicken to get involved with school plays or performing at any level. I have yet to do one thing about it...

Freshman year of high school I decided I wanted to repaint my room. I had been frequenting this fuckin schweeeeet 18 and younger club and really liked this black light mural they had on the wall. It was kind of cheesy dystopian painting of a burnt out NYC (this of coarse was pre 9/11). I wanted to recreate it in my room and my mom was surprisingly receptive of my idea. We first painted my room flat black then I got some neon paints. I had my aunt come over to help with the mural since she'd always been in to paint and is decent at it. She refused to paint a burnt out NYC for some reason so I decided to go with a dragon motif as a compromise. She painted a pretty sweet head for the dragon but left me to finish the rest. I was going to have it wrap around a few walls. I painted the body to the edge of one wall and then filled in the scales. About half way through that I had switched the direction I had the scales going and didnt realize how terrible it looked when I stood back. Since I had tried retouching before I knew it was a bitch and just gave up as it was too much to have to repaint black over it 3 or 4 times. Honestly it looks terrible and shows my utter lack of creative skills.

My uncle came over and put it bluntly, "Man the black actually looks really good as a room color, too bad this dragon ruins it..." He was kind of a dick like that but he was right. Honestly flat black is a really solid color for a room. I might use it in the future in any prospective study or office.

16. Psk

Psk
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Focus: I always wanted to be a soldier when I was a kid, for two reasons really, my grandfather was in the military (Navy) and was a hero of mine, and my father was a naval architect (worked for the Navy). The other reason was because I loved reading history and our history is filled with war and the individuals who fought them. Basically it instilled a romantic perception of war and soldiers.

Obviously that changed as I grew up and realised the reality of conflict and the profession, and instead I respected those who willingly exposed themselves to it and would sacrifice everything for their nation.

Cut to today and I have been a soldier (Army) for three years and I am rotating to afghanistan in 2 months. I don't have any romantic feelings toward the profession anymore, but I can still say that my childhood ambitions played a large part in getting me to where I am today, for better or worse. Perhaps not the most lighthearted post in this thread.

Regarding the bedroom, FUCKING AWESOME. The closest to that I got as a kid was the ships my dad would build for me as kid (models). Two were playmobile ships that he modified with proper rigging, and another was a 1 1/2 meter long aircraft carrier built with cardboard. And I still remember the day I got home from school and he had build a massive playmobile fort in my room. Of course, since my parents spent money on toys I have no perception of the value of money, and I am a spoiled brat who expects the world to give me what I want. My sweet 16 party was lame because Ludacris came to my party, not Beyoncé like I wanted.

17. lust4life

lust4life
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Childhood fantasy? Just having my own room. Didn't come true until my brother moved off to college, and it was so small, you couldn't replicate a dingy let alone a pirate ship. I also wanted a treehouse, but didn't have the patience to plant a tree and wait a few decades for it to get to the right size.

18. captainjackass

captainjackass
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I'm an avid Carlin fan and I don't believe he ever said this. I've listened to all his material countless times. He definitely has tons of material on the American dream and the class system.

Now yes, he said on the road, anybody driving faster than you is an asshole, anybody driving slower is a moron.

But anyway, what's with this Libertarian vs Liberal fucking philosophical debate here? I thought politics were banned on this board?

We get it, half of you think that the rich and the poor have earned their lot in life and the other half of us understand reality.

19. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yes that was the joke I was modifying for the purposes of this thread.

20. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Well, except the reality of the word paraphrase.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.