Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

TED-tastic!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dcc001, Feb 18, 2013.

1. Dcc001

Dcc001
    Expand Collapse
    New Bitch On Top

I've fallen down the TED talk hole. I watch them all the time. Here's a thread for everyone to post their favourite TED talks...let's see 'em!

2. dixiebandit69

dixiebandit69
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

What the hell is TED?

3. GTE

GTE
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Isn't it the movie from the Family Guy camp?

4. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

I love TED talks too. However, I am sort of dumb with my tablet and I watch them on here with an app, so its going to take me awhile to figure out how to transfer the links.

5. Frank

Frank
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Paleo diet reverses symptoms of MS:

You hear miracle weight loss stuff about diets all the time, but stalling a neuro-degenerative is some powerful shit.

It's not what you do, but why:

Very good message for businesses. We're currently going through a re-branding and the marketing firm we like the most keeps harping on the mentality that you aren't just selling a product/service, you're selling an experience..

#5 Frank, Feb 18, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  6. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I like TED talks a lot, but I feel like they've gotten increasingly less scientific over the years. Once upon a time they were an interesting look into different fields of scientific experimentation, usually presented in a digestible way (which journal papers often aren't). They were highly technical, though, and even when they were of cutting-edge studies, there was still a lot of research backing them.

There are still some good talks, but so many of them now are just "look at this interesting sociological/intellectual phenomenon we found. We've done no studies on it and have nothing further to add. PLEASE OOH AND AAH NOW."