Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Tebow Mania!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kubla Kahn, Jan 13, 2012.

1. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Tebow is a positive force and a roll-model athlete. If that's because of his religious beliefs, then more power to him. The world could use more people like him in the public eye and less like the Kardashians or any other ass wipe the media slobbers over.

2. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

I do agree with this. I think he's retarded, but he's a nice guy and he probably won't end up parking his car in a pool. You don't have to look at people from a different aspect of fame, though. You just have to look at other NFL players of past and present. For instance:

Pacman Jones. Adventures in a strip club includes using thousands of dollars to "make it rain", demand the money back, then smash a stripper's face into the stage repeatedlky when denied said cash. This is one of many, MANY charming acts by this man.

Bill Romanowski- Roid Freak extraordinaire, charming acts like: Breaking Kerry Collins jaw in a pre-season game with a helmet-to-helmet hit, spitting in players face, crushed fellow teammate's eye socket with a sucker punch in practice--ending his career, hit Bryan Cox in the balls with a cheap shot football throw, ran a percription drug racket with his wife (who is also a former teammate and friend's ex-wife), Countless illegal hits, etc, etc, etc...His is still to this day the only NFL player to use steroids. Disgraceful.

I never see Tebow acting this way, so I'll accept his Kirk Cameron approach to football.

3. Gravitas

Gravitas
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

This question might be asking the thread to jump the shark a bit, but I'm going to ask it anyway.

How much (if at all) does race play into all of this?

I think I got part of this from thelastpsychiatrist, but there are a lot of black athletes that thank god etc. after every game, but no one gives them shit about it. Is that because people think that if they did so they would be seen as racist?

Also, how come religious people don't support other various black athletes that invoke religion regularly?

As far as all the good things he does for people that's great, but it is worth mentioning that he does all that in full view of cameras. He benefits from doing those things as much (if not more) as the people receiving it. It's nice that he does those things, but I would respect him more if he kept his mouth shut about it. There are also players who do more than that.

4. Dmix3

Dmix3
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

That's funny, I don't remember hearing a thing about it while he was riding the bench behind Orton and Quinn, this isn't something he just started when he became the starter, he's been doing it all year long. All the media does is give him the opportunity to introduce these people to the world and share their struggles, the struggles that inspire him to keep giving and be a better person.

Oh and Braylon Edwards, yeah he's one of those DUI cases, along with misdemeanor and aggravated assault, granted he does have to live in Cleveland, but still.

5. Nom Chompsky

Nom Chompsky
    Expand Collapse
    Honorary TiBette

[​IMG]

6. suapyg

suapyg
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Um, what?

Listen, my shop is in Brooklyn. It's the fifth largest city in the US, very trendy and lots of people would love to live here. There's three bridges that connect Brooklyn to Manhattan, one of which is old and beautiful and famous. It's called the Brooklyn Bridge, appropriately enough, and I just happen to have the deed to it, and I'm selling it. Are you interested? I could give you a really attractive price...

7. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

I was only kidding. Seriously, the guys in the NFL are fucking freaks. You'd remember this: when I was a kid, one "big man" stood out in the NFL in the 1980's: William "|The Refridgerator" Perry. Not the greatest tackle/fullback, but his size made him a pop culture cult hero: (the dude was in Wrestlemania), because he was considered freakishly big. His size? About 6'2", 350 lbs. on average. Do you know how many guys are bigger than that in the NFL nowadays? Explain to me how human evolution in the last 25 years caused human beings to grow so massively without a little "somethin' somethin".

8. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It could be all of the above

OR it could be the fact people love rooting for the underdog. Him being an underdog because he obviously has no right winning the way he's winning, his pocket awareness and his throwing motion looks absolutely retarded.

OR could it be that people can relate to someone who isn't good at what they do, has the best intentions of getting better, and still gets some wins here and there when it matters? "Where Tim Tebow Gives Us A Little Hope."

OR could it be 4th quarter comebacks are the most exciting fucking thing in sports period and he's the QB of the team so he will get credit either way unless he's you're the Baltimore, Raiders or Steelers defense?

Did any of you Tebow haters watch any of those fucking games they won in the 4th quarter? How could you not enjoy them? How can any of you sit there watching and experience the following going either way.

"No way the Broncos are going to win this...wait...wait...oh no...are you fucking kidding me? How is this shit happening? No fucking way is this going to happen? How are they letting him get away with that? Holy fuck its happening! They're going to win this! I can't fucking believe it! The Broncos came back!"

Its also another thing to note that Champ Bailey, who has been on that team forever, who is no defense likes Tim Tebow. If anyone has the cleanest path to hate Tebow it is Champ Bailey, and Champ loves him. Champ talked about how the defense gets up to watch the offense now, something they never did before, because they want to see what Tebow is going to do. They believe he is going to do something and they rather stand and watch what he is going to do then sit and rest. That fucking says something.

All I know is, those Tebow 4th quarters are the most exciting quarters in football. And I don't even give a fuck about the Broncos. And uh, yeah, lets give them man a fucking OTA or two before we tell him his career is over and he beat a team that was in the Superbowl last year. Don't give me the injuries argument, its football, everyone has injuries. Von Miller plays with a club on his hand. The Patriots play without an entire secondary, they seriously only play with 7 guys.

(Yay I did it without mentioning religion...oh fuck, I just did.)

9. toddus

toddus
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Ali was 206lb when as heavyweight champion of the world he fought Liston in a rematch. I won't comment if the weight evolution since is drug induced; however regardless it exists.

10. TJMax

TJMax
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Speaking of the '85 Bears, why was Jim Mcmahon not deified the way Tim Tebow has been? Verily, there is no God.

11. atcmh

atcmh
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Tebow, as it has already been stated here, is a flavor of the month.

1. He has name recognition from his college days
    2. He has a slight underdog status in that he isn't supposed to succeed because he doesn't have the typical NFL QB style.
    3. He has a signature move that ties into his Christian background.

Stir all the pieces together and Viola!.

12. c_norris

c_norris
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

So, now that Tebow effectively got bent over, reamed and teabagged to unmercifully end the season of a team that had no business sniffing the playoffs, much less getting out of the wild-card round, can we conclude that he was a phenomenon created by ESPN?

I'll say this. He's different. A converted fullback who runs primarily rather than passes? OK. But he blows at passing. He literally can't throw a spiral over 20 yards. What he is is athletic as hell. He's awesome at moving around in the pocket and salvaging a few yards when he can't throw it anywhere (although when this fails, he loses huge yardage). It doesn't help that his O-line was extremely porous.

Conclusion: it's not him that bothers me. Not the kneeling shit. It's the nonstop media coverage. But then again, ESPN is just the sports version of TMZ now, pretty much.

That Steve Porter remix never fails to make me smile, though. Especially after last Sunday.

13. Sam N

Sam N
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Time, time I say!

And I suppose that's all that should be said.

14. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I think next season will tell whether Denver found their franchise QB or if this was just a flash in the pan and he can't correct his problems.

He's different, but New England had his number both times, and Buffalo's defense pillaged them as well. If you play a disciplined defensive line and contain him in the pocket (without, you know, stacking everyone in the box so every receiver on the field is open), he's got nothing to offer.

He'll get a full off-season as the starting QB, with all of the associated coaching. If they can break him of some of his bad habits and improve his throwing motion, it'll show that he can grow and learn, and maybe he has a future in the NFL. If he comes back next season and he still winds up like a pitcher during his delivery, still waves the ball around in one hand, still can't make multiple reads on a pass play before taking off with it, then he's a one-trick pony destined to have his ribs broken by some strong safety with a head of steam built up while he's dicking around outside the pocket.

15. Rob4Broncos

Rob4Broncos
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Also, John Elway has said he's going to personally work with Tebow during the offseason. If that won't make him better, then I don't know what will.