Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Tebow Mania!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kubla Kahn, Jan 13, 2012.

1. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

There simply isn't any way to talk about Tebow without bashing religion, because that's what this entire thing is about. Most people can't even name their own team's fullback, and yet Tebow gets more attention than Brady, Brees, Rodgers and Manning combined. And the only reason for it is people's absurd appetite for this religious storyline.

43% of Americans believe that God is helping Tebow win games. 43%. Is this the United States of America or Dumbfuckistan? Does anyone else sit alone late at night watching old media coverage of the Apollo missions and weep like a stripper over her bachelor's degree? You want to know how glaringly, offensively stupid the belief that God helps Tim Tebow win games is? Tim Tebow isn't even winning football games. He dropped 4 of his last 5 games; that's how stupid it is. 43% of America believe that a deity that doesn't exist, is helping Tim Tebow do something that isn't happening.

And we tolerate it. We tolerate it the way we tolerate candidates for high office claiming that evolution is "just a theory" and math is "a Jewish conspiracy." We accept this ignorant underbelly of America the way we accept a drunk biker bragging about how hot his 320 lb meth-head girlfriend is. Because some ignorance is so far gone, so dedicated to a proposition that is patently untrue, that we don't have the resources to rescue it.

All I can say is thank Satan for Bill Belichik, a man with a heart so black as coal that he'll go up by four scores and then keep throwing. A man so dedicated to the humiliation of his opponents and their God(s) that he will have his quarterback punt on third down just to tell them they don't need four downs a series to win. God may be Tim Tebow's anti-drug, but Bill Belichick is my AntiChrist.

2. Rob4Broncos

Rob4Broncos
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

In the interest of full disclosure, I should preface this by saying that I loathed Tebow as a player prior to this season starting. After watching him develop this year, I've begun to sing a different tune.

Having said that, I'll hide everything in spoilers because I'm a long-winded fuck. I won't touch the religious aspect of Tebow, because that's just too easy. But let's not get it twisted: the ONLY reason he gets as much press as he does is because of his religion. If it weren't for that, he'd be Matt Leinart with bigger biceps.

One critical thing you're overlooking about that play (something that was addressed MANY times last week on various ESPN shows) was that Pittsburgh lined up in that same formation in the 2nd quarter, and stopped Willis McGahee on a draw play. So when Denver gave them the same look, and Pittsburgh brought 9 men in the box yet again, Tebow and Thomas made them pay for it. That's not lucky, that's strategy.

Tebow's biggest improvement over the course of this season was his recognition and decision-making, two attributes that many young quarterbacks lack. For all that's made about his mechanics (and yes, they are terrible - but that's what the offseason is for), people overlook that his mental game is the best Denver's had in a QB since Plummer left. Cutler was overeager, and Orton was timid and/or daft.

Tebow is not Brady, nor Brees, nor Rodgers...and he never will be. That's not his game. If it's a conventional pocket passer you're looking for, then move along people, because there's nothing to see here. That's what bugs me the most when I hear that criticism, because NFL fans probably aren't comfortable watching someone play in a way that doesn't fit what a quarterback is "supposed" to do.

I think it's worth considering how much of an impact he can have on the defense, simply by motivating them to play harder. You can't really quantify that sort of thing, but I imagine that a defense will play much better if they feel that their guys on the other side of the ball can get it done. Ever since Al Wilson retired, this defense has had a revolving door of DCs and, with the exception of Champ Bailey and DJ Williams, a cast of questionable players.

If I could have my pick between Matt Ryan and Tim Tebow right now, there's no question that I'll take Tebow. His mechanics may be flawed, but at least he doesn't back down from pressure and knows how to lead a team. I'm amazed at how often those traits are overlooked in today's NFL. "Matty Ice," on the other hand, gets dismissed simply for that atrocious nickname. Cool and collected? Uhh, no thanks. Quarterbacks are supposed to be great leaders just as much as great passers.
    One more thing: I'd like to know why some of you feel, with such conviction, that Tebow will "never" be a good quarterback. Obviously, he isn't good right now. But "never?" Them's some bold words.

Eli Manning was shitty for the first half of his career. Even his Super Bowl MVP was a mediocre stat line (19-of-34, 2 TDs, 1 INT), but he's now an elite QB. Why did he get a pass for 4 years, but Tebow barely gets 1?

3. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Like many athletes before him, Tebow will use the doubters as fuel to train and improve. I'm not sure he can get that much better, though. As has been said, he may suceed in the NFL, but it won't be as a typical quarterback.

[redacted]

It's like everyone feels forced to jump on one bandwagon or another: either Tebow mania or bash Tebow for his faith.

4. Superfantastic

Superfantastic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Basically, Suapyg's post and whoever said that this is just a fad, especially since they/he lost.

I find it tough to hate a guy who comes across that goofy and, well...simple. At least that's the vibe I get from him based on the less than 15 minutes of interviews I've seen.

[redacted]

5. toddus

toddus
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Now I'm far from an expert; however a meth-head who weighs 320 lb?

6. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The phrasing used in the survey was "divine intervention" if I'm remembering correctly. But we're not talking about some guy who quietly draws strength from his faith. If you want that guy his name is Colt McCoy and unlike Tebow, he actually has a win against the Patriots on his resume.

When we talk about Tebow we are talking about a guy who actively proselytizes his religion. We're talking about someone who gives huge amounts of support, both material and otherwise, to organizations that are heavily involved in changing (read: undermining) public policy. And that's just the effect he intentionally creates. The unintentional bullshit, like people saying with a straight face that his 316 yards are a sign from God, is part of an extremely troubling anti-intellectualism in the United States. In another time, another place, you may be right that we could just let Tebow slide without comment, but sadly that is not the here and now.

Every time Tebow gives glory to god, a schoolteacher drops dead.

7. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

[redacted]

8. MoreCowbell

MoreCowbell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

[edited; redacted]

FYI, this is a thoroughly ridiculous statement regardless of what one thinks of his long term prospects. When he is averaging over 5 yards per carry, is one of only a handful of quarterbacks capable of running the option at the professional level, and requires defenses to entirely reorganize themselves around him, it's special.

I have little faith in his overall effectiveness, but the idea that there's nothing unique about what he brings to the table is absurd.

9. ssycko

ssycko
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

[redacted]

10. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Soars.

Now it has reached epic proportions.

11. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

[redacted]

12. Popped Cherries

Popped Cherries
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Tebow mania is strictly media sensationalism, but instead of national/world news, it's fallen into the sports arena. Tebow has done little to pile any additional attention on himself. I can say that with a straight face. He is extremely religious, but he's been that way his whole life. He isn't doing it for media attention, it's just a part of his life. The fact that ESPN/religious groups focus on that and try to profit off his faith should be the focus of the story, not that he believes in god.

I think one of the biggest things people hold against Tebow is the fact that he isn't fake in his actions. Or at least he hasn't shown he is a fake, I don't know what happens behind closed doors. When someone comes along who follows a religion and seems almost too good of a person, the past has shown that person is usually full of shit. I would venture to guess that most of the attention towards Tebow has to do with this.

As far as his on field performance, the above has unfortunately affected his on field development. Unless he becomes the next Brady/Manning/Vick/Marino/Elway/Young/Montana combined, people are going to see him as a bust. There is going to be no way to objectively measure his play as a quarterback until people stop with the Tebow mania. This was basically his first year as a starter in the NFL. His team went 7-4, won a playoff game, had some really good games, but overall his play as a passing quarterback was sub par. He needs time to develop, which he may or may not get. There have been a boatload of shitty quarterbacks that have been given a pass until they developed. I guess time will tell.
    It's unfortunate how closed minded people in professional sports can be when a player comes along that doesn't fit into the mold of what that player is supposed to be, but that's an entirely different topic.

13. PIMPTRESS

PIMPTRESS
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Someone may have said it but here is my issue with this "controversy"-He's a first year quarter back. He's doing better than YOU would on a field, so shut the fuck up. Yeah, he's religious, who cares? I don't judge him, he seems like a good man so get off his back.

The mania is stupid, I agree. I root for my Broncos whether he's there or not. I am proud when they win, it's a collective effort of the team, not because Tebow is God's gift or anything special.

The hate I have seen concerns me, it is very small minded.

14. sartirious

sartirious
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

The hate I harbored for him was very much an instinctual response; but after evaluating it - I really don't care about him at all. I don't care about the football team he plays for, off the field he isn't an interesting enough of a person to draw my attention away from the multitude of other things that amuse me (such as picking my belly button lint with the 1/8" plug from my headphones), and the media obsession with his religiosity is actively driving me away. To despise him would require me to give a shit in the first place; he is a non-entity as far as I'm concerned.

15. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Tebow won two titles in college and is generally considered to be one of the best college qb's in recent memory. He has some serious athletic talent, the humility to accept coaching and the time to improve. So, I don't buy the idea that he will be a failure as a quarterback. I don't think he will be "elite", like Manning, Brees or Brady, but he will not continue to be this bad.

However, what I dislike about Tebow is the fact that his religion is in my face for no reason. There are many devout players who keep their beliefs decently behind closed doors. There is no reason to show this kid kneeling and praying on national tv. It has nothing to do with the NFL, football in general, the Denver Broncos or his ability to win a football game.

If you like Tebow because you are a Florida or Denver fan, you like his personality (by all accounts he's a great person, especially for an NFL player), or you like his style of play: fine. If you like Tebow because of "praise Jesus", you have no business discussing football and you are the same kind of asshole who thanks God for saving your life instead of the doctors and nurses doing the actual saving.

If you believe there is a God, It created everything, nothing can oppose Its will and yet somehow It cares about football in Colorado, I think you are extremely arrogant and have no idea how insignificant you are.

16. TX.

TX.
    Expand Collapse
    The Mad Pooper

I don't have a problem with Tebow or his religious beliefs. I have a problem with his fans who jumped on the bandwagon solely because of his personal beliefs. He might be the most upstanding, solid guy to grace the NFL, but I don't understand becoming a superfan because of that. I think Tom Brady is gorgeous, but I'm not a Brady or Pats fan because of that. Be a fan of him because you dig his quarterback skills, etc, but don't worship him because you think he's a good guy.

17. zyron

zyron
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

No, he is a second year QB. If only people who could play professional sports could comment on it, it would be pretty boring.

18. Prefontaine

Prefontaine
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Would have reconsidered my atheism had the Broncos won the Super Bowl with Tebow at the helm.

Tebow - Phenomenal human being, OK Quarterback, APPEARS to have a superb work ethic. While I agree that he doesn't ask for nearly the amount of media coverage he receives, I think that he deep down LOVES the attention and plays it up for the cameras. ESPN made a special about him showing his time from the final game of his college career to the Day 1 of the NFL Draft. In one scene, he's shown with his brother and friends "working" on their home farm. During this, they proceed chop massive amounts of firewood, run with an Escalade strapped to themselves, lift and push the SUV backwards, and then run home as the sun sets in the distance. I wonder how many times Tebow did this before ESPN sent a crew to Jacksonville. You don't see Eli/Brees/Brady/Peyton doing this stuff....

If he really does have the work ethic he makes it out to seem and applies it to work on what he lacks, I think in a few years, with the right system in place, he will win a Super Bowl.

19. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Well he still has his penis. ANYWAY. I do know a couple of girls that are batshit crazy for Tim Tebow's hawtness. It seems to be a pure aesthetics thing with them as the virgin thing is a complete non issue. It's like mentioning Ryan Gosling or James Deen around here, you'll hear about it for the next hour and a half.

Personally I hope he turns out to be more of a Ted Haggard than a Mr. Rogers. Just because he spanked the Bearcat's asses raw in the Sugar Bowl.

20. Rob4Broncos

Rob4Broncos
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

For whatever it's worth, here's Tebow's second-year stats compared to Eli Manning's. I picked Eli (and cited him earlier) specifically because the expectations he had coming out of college, the scrutiny he's received over his career, and the learning curve at QB are comparable to what I expect for Tebow. Granted, they have significantly different play styles, however their personalities and "intangibles" are quite similar.

Eli Manning:
    16 games, 294-of-557 (52.8%), 3,762 yards (6.75 ypa), 24 TD, 17 INT, 7 fumbles, 75.9 rating, 11-5 record, 0-1 in playoffs

Tim Tebow:
    14 games, 126-of-271 (46.5%), 1,729 yards (6.38 ypa), 12 TD, 6 INT, 7 fumbles, 72.9 rating, 8-8 record, 1-1 in playoffs

The completion percentages are equally bad, the disparity in attempts and yards can be attributed to Denver's option offense, and his TD-INT ratio isn't half bad (keep in mind that 3 of those picks were in that dreadful Buffalo game). Everything else is pretty much identical.

Moral of the story: he's had 1 year as a starter. Let's give it time.