Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Tattoo Thread

Discussion in 'Permanent Threads' started by Gloria, Oct 20, 2009.

1. iczorro

iczorro
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

<a class="postlink" href="http://thechive.com/2013/06/02/the-body-is-the-greatest-canvas-33-photos/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://thechive.com/2013/06/02/the-body ... 33-photos/</a>

A collection of some of the best work I've seen. I wish I knew who/where the artists were...

2. $100T2

$100T2
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

My new mermaid...

Attached Files:

3. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It's time for me to pop my tattoo cherry, after ten long years of wanting one. Any of you guys know someone who can do a preliminary drawing or design for me? I'm willing to spring for some Amazon swag or cash for a workable design. I'll be doing this in Korea and I want something to show the artist beforehand.

Any suggestions?

4. Angel_1756

Angel_1756
    Expand Collapse
    The Big Four-Oh

Talk to scotchcrotch's guy. Ask him to draw you something "dark".

5. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

Sorry to bump an old thread. Tattoos haven't gone out of style have they?

A few weeks ago I got my son's name on the inside of my arm (going across the arm, not down) in this font (more or less; it's not as bold and the guy combined a few different elements I liked from other fonts). I'm not really a tat person, but for my child's name it's different.

Anyway, that was a few weeks ago, and it just looks "unfinished" to me. I'm strongly considering doing something to turn it into a band, obviously for aesthetic reasons, but also for symbolic reasons.

I'm *this* close to being set on a rope as the "band" part. I like the middle one in this picture. But I'm obviously open to other ideas both for the band and would love ideas for the rope. Want to keep with the rustic theme of the font.

Ideas? Looking for a friend.

6. Popped Cherries

Popped Cherries
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

If you'd like a different take, I don't think the band/rope idea is going to give you the "completed" look you are going for.
    A few questions first. Is the name banded all the way around your forearm, or does it stop halfway around the top side of your arm?
    How big are the letters and how much spacing is in between the letters?
    Is the font block letters fully colored in? Any shading around it?
    Realistically a picture of it would really help.

Anyway, I'm thinking you might like to do something more like Sailor Jerry accompaniments in a rustic style that is centered around things that relate to your son. Perhaps a nickname you have for him that you could translate into something artsy, or inside jokes with your wife about things leading up to your son being conceived and then born.
    All of my tattoos I've gotten have been little reminders or little pieces of some major part in my life that are centered around something I either enjoy or can relate to that specific period of time. I then try to find a way to incorporate that into the tattoo. I think long term, you'll be happier with something that isn't just "a rope" and is instead something that sparks a memory or brings you nostalgia around your son being born.

Just my .02

7. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

Yeah I realized that a few days ago. However, at about that same time, this idea hit:

A month ago, before I got my son's name on me, it wasn't that I thought tattoos looked shitty so much as I thought they'd look shitty on me. Then I got his name, and now I realized how awesome it looks. I have zero problem with putting permanent things on my body for significant events (will be saving both forearms for my kids, though I told my wife a max of three). Random artwork goes on the wall. Meaningful things go on the body.

Can't wait to see what my guy thinks up for my clock design. In general, I like the approach of "these are my must haves, this is why I'm getting it, go take that and do what in your professional opinion will look best."

8. Popped Cherries

Popped Cherries
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yeah that's the sort of thing I'm talking about. I'm sure there are a ton of people who have clocks as part of a tattoo that just have a general time is important blah blah blah, but it doesn't really have a specific meaning behind it. In your case, it's very symbolic. I'd try to find something to incorporate in with your son's name that is equally symbolic, can be represented in something that incorporates into his name that isn't just a random band. Even if it's not something that most people will "understand" without explanation, it's something you'll enjoy looking at.

9. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

Just scheduled an appointment with my artist this thursday afternoon for the clock. He only does a few appointments each day so that way he isn't rushed, love it. I told him I had looked online at a bunch of stuff but there's so much out there I'd prefer to just let him come up with something as long as it met my basic parameters (and one of those was "I don't want you to do something you're not comfortable with"). In my opinion, unless you have something very specific in mind, the end result is going to be better if you just let an artist have fun and do his work.

10. dixiebandit69

dixiebandit69
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I didn't know that this was a thread where we could ask for advice on whether a tattoo would look good or not; I thought we just showed what we had.

But if that's the case, I'd like y'alls' non-sarcastic opinion: Should I get a Trans Am phoenix across my back?
    I've been thinking of doing this for the last 5 years or so, and I could have gotten it done in prison for cheap, but I didn't.
    I've wanted a large, black back-piece since I was in my teens.
    I want something this size, but with less detail (just really bold),
    dons_phone_pics_021_large.jpg

Instead of the phoenix spewing out one flame, it would be shooting out the same flames that I have on my stomach. (See my other post in this thread)

11. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

Finally found a good picture of what I'm looking for with the clock tattoo:

[​IMG]

Except numbers instead of roman numerals, don't like the clock breaking or the cracks. Love the way the gears are showing and love the shading around the edges of the clock to make it a little hazy, as that's it was when I saw it. Recovering from anesthesia and with eyes that barely worked, I basically had tunnel vision so whatever I'd focus on would jump out and the rest was fuzzy.

12. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

Curious what people tip their tattoo artists.

Last one I got (my son's name and bday across the inside of my arm in what I had on my computer as 48 point bold font) took about an hour and a half, cost $110 and I tipped him $50. It was my first tat and didn't know anything about tipping practices other than a general guess that they work off commission (I've also heard that $110 is really cheap for what he did). So, I'm guessing that $50 on $110 is pretty high, but the way I figured he went way over his estimated time, and the ink is on me forever so the tipping rate is different than for some fancy meal.

For the piece on my shoulder, the guy said it's supposed to take about 2 hours but he also said the last one was going to take 30 minutes. So I have no clue how long it'll actually go and accordingly what the price will be, though I'l guessing around the $250 area.

Should you tip your artist on a percentage basis, on the length of time the work takes, on the quality of work, what?

13. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

Just got my shoulder piece. (And yes, I know I'm skinny as hell.)

image.jpg

Took him a little over 3 hours. Had a few images printed out of what I kind of liked, but mainly we just talked out what I had in my head and he went to work. He added to it what in his opinion was best, and his input turned something that was meaningful, to me, on its own, into a piece of aesthetic art.

For some size perspective, the inside of the clock is size of the cyst that was in my head and surrounded the brain tumor. Fuck. That.

14. jennitalia

jennitalia
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

15. Bundy Bear

Bundy Bear
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Finally have my arm finished, the poppy at the rear ducking sucked but over the moon with how everything turned out.

Attached Files:

16. Bundy Bear

Bundy Bear
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Another couple of animals to add to the leg. It's been a busy 12 months for ink, I'll put up some more later. Turtle.jpg African Wild Dog.jpg Cheetah.jpg

17. Bundy Bear

Bundy Bear
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Had another session on the leg yesterday. It's starting to come together really well. The Bill Murray piece is from August.
    ThreeWiseMonkeys.jpg Wallaby.jpg Sloth.jpg IMG_20190824_202853_645 (1).jpg

18. shimmered

shimmered
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Added Themis to go with Valkyrie. I plan to marry the upper and lower portion of my arm together eventually.

Attached Files:

19. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

Finally figured out the sizing issue.

Attached Files:

20. Bundy Bear

Bundy Bear
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

After yesterday this is nine and a half days work on my leg, yesterdays session finally tied the majority of it together, one session left and then some touch up work in the shitty spots left and it's complete.

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg