Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Tattoo Thread

Discussion in 'Permanent Threads' started by Gloria, Oct 20, 2009.

1. Bob Trousers

Bob Trousers
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I decided earlier today to finally start designing my half-sleeve tattoo. It's fun, and it's cool to be doing something creative, but I don't half wish I had the ability and software to cut out images that I've downloaded and then manipulate them so I can make a collage. Unfortunately I'm stuck drawing things out by hand, which is veeeery time consuming. I suppose it'll just make it more rewarding in the end...

2. Supertramp

Supertramp
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm seriously considering the following:

Fortune Favours the Bold from Virgil/Terence. Either in Latin (Fortes fortuna adiuvat) or English.

I don't know which though.

3. Misanthropic

Misanthropic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Why not get a Chinese quotation that you think means "Fortune favors the Bold" but in fact means "I like mayonnaise"

4. Supertramp

Supertramp
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Well I have studied Latin* but I think it's just cooler in Latin. I don't know about you two but I think the coolness of the tattoo should be considered too. The phrase itself is very applicable to my life and I won't even bother explaining why I think "I won't regret it xx years from now". I just think in English it'll be too bold (ironically) and too sociopath-with-a-bunch-of-text-tattoos.

*Catholic school was good for other things than just getting abused. Cool.

5. p00g0blin

p00g0blin
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

6. ouroboros

ouroboros
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Lets all look at this guy.. He obviously wants everyone to.
    <a class="postlink" href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/matthewg15/sets/72157623193844296/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.flickr.com/photos/matthewg15 ... 193844296/</a>

7. MadDocker

MadDocker
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

8. ontherun

ontherun
    Expand Collapse
    Should still be lurking

i like to party, i have more i will post later, this one is still in progress.

Attached Files:

9. ontherun

ontherun
    Expand Collapse
    Should still be lurking

some more of my work, hey hey now

Attached Files:

10. abneretta

abneretta
    Expand Collapse
    Shenanigator

I posted this on the old thread and found out via rep comments that it is, in fact, the equivalent of a tramp stamp. Technically, though, it isn't. So I'm gonna go with that.
    This was taken right after, I really need a picture of it since it's healed.

Attached Files:

11. justinarelost

justinarelost
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

I'm looking for someone to draw me a tattoo. My first daughter is about to be born in the next couple weeks and I want to get something to commemorate that. Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas? Or want to volunteer to draw it for me?

12. Primer

Primer
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm not ragging on you but why not get your tattoo artist to do it? I cannot tell you how many times I've heard this question. Think about this; if your tattoo artist cannot draw what you want on paper, then how the hell is he going to tattoo it into your skin? The drawing is the acid-test. Sure, his previous work in the albums is a good idea of what he is capable of but if you're getting customized tattoo that needs to look good in the long run then the artist should be more than capable to do it. Plus, almost all artists will do the drawing for free if you're getting the work finished by them (I know one case where we had to buy the drawing from the artist and that was because we were in Banff and had to rush home because of family issues), if not the guy/gal is a fucking knob and you can go somewhere else.

Plus, it'll make life a whole lot easier for the tattooist - he can then fit and customize the drawing to your body.

13. Dcc001

Dcc001
    Expand Collapse
    New Bitch On Top

Good point. And now's a good time to throw out some suggestions for picking the correct tattoo artist for yourself. In my experience, you should follow these rules:

1. Look at the work he has on his body. If he has blotchy, unclear, blue prison tatts then it's a warning. If he's covered with cheesy work (no joke - one guy had a poorly-drawn scene of a knight on horseback covering his back), then that's a warning. He should have well-placed tatts that are of good quality.
    2. Make sure the place is licensed and that they have proper sterilization equipment.
    3. S/he should be busy. Like, you'll have to make an appointment (unless you're a friend). If there's crickets chirping in the parlour and he can ink you today, that's a warning.
    4. It goes without saying that you should see his work. He should have a book of his previously done tatts, and most guys will have paintings and drawings, too.
    5. Don't pick a tatt from the flare on the wall. Get something personal.
    6. It's okay to disagree with the artist's first or second draft. Have them re-draw something you don't like. It's also okay, once the sketch is transferred onto you, to say "I don't like it there, can we move it in [this] direction." It's one of the times in your life where you shouldn't be afraid to speak your mind.

14. Primer

Primer
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Fantastic points.

I want to clarify 1, 2 and 6 the most. My artist had old clients, most of which were just visiting, coming in and out when I was there for my consultation and that is what sold me on having him tattoo me - the work, even after years, still looked amazing. Tattoo's can be easily ruined with an infection, I've seen tattoos after an infection and it's disgusting - Ink comes out, fades or shifts. Not too mention the fact the infection can easily become septic and you die, or you get HIV/AIDS/HEP A/B/C/R or any of the long list of blood related diseases. Ask about their sterilization techniques and processes and they should have some documentation showing that their a licensed tattoo person.

Not liking the art is part of the journey, I went through about six revisions on mine and it was through input coming from my artist and I. I would see something that I didn't like, we would shift it around and then he would change the rest in order to make it work with the whole of the tattoo. It took about a month from start to finish for my first draft to be at a level we thought was acceptable. Even now, where I'm about ten hours from completion, we're making revisions.

15. Guy Fawkes

Guy Fawkes
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I am tattoo free but I've finally decided upon something to pop my proverbial cherry...

Odin's ravens on my shoulders/back.

While scouring the internets for artists that do realistic animals I've come across some of the most horrendous shit I've ever seen (50% of it is wolves howling at the moon which is hilarious for other reasons). Since I'm not into tattoo culture and will likely waste a shit ton of time without finding anyone good can someone steer me in the right direction?

Since I travel for work I figure I can travel almost anywhere in the country to get this done and I'm willing to put my name on a waiting list if the artist is that good.

Thanks

16. Samr

Samr
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

When I have kids (knock on wood, not for a while), I want to get either their handprints, or foot prints tattooed, with their name and date of birth (in case I forget?) underneath.

[Disclaimer: I don't have any tats, I don't like tats, I don't find girls with tats attractive. I will, however, get the names of my future children tatted on my body.]

17. fleafly

fleafly
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

This is my first, and only, tattoo. I got it December of 07. It's on my right forearm. I knew I wanted an angel. I originally wanted it on my right pec but because of my open heart surgeries I figured that would be a bad idea so I opted for my forearm.

[​IMG]

Next I want a grim reaper on my left shoulder.

18. Durej

Durej
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

This is my first of the 2 I have. I Got this one when I was 20 you can see, I took the picture about an hour after I got it.

Attached Files:

19. Dcc001

Dcc001
    Expand Collapse
    New Bitch On Top

Here's why you should never, ever do shit at home or visit an unlicensed parlour to have any work done. A professional may indeed work out of their house, but they will have proper equipment and the city will be monitoring their health and safety practices.

As the article notes, even if you don't get a blood-borne disease you can wind up with a shitty tattoo that will stay with you forever.

HIV, hepatitis tests urged after unlicensed tattoo parlours closed in Calgary

By Shannon Montgomery (CP) – 3 hours ago

CALGARY — Health officials are urging anyone who received a tattoo or piercing at a home-run parlour in Calgary to line up for another kind of needle prick.

The warning to get tested for HIV and hepatitis B and C came Wednesday after seven unlicensed tattoo and piercing parlours were shut down. Officials said there could be many more operating under the radar.

Dr. Judy MacDonald, the city's deputy medical health officer, said there's no way of knowing how many people were exposed to instruments that may not have been sterilized.

"We actually have no idea how many clients these seven unapproved facilities might have had," she said. "Since they didn't keep client records at all, there's just no way of knowing."

The majority of tattoo artists operate outside of traditional parlours and advertise on social media websites and in classifieds, making it more difficult for authorities to track them down, she said.

A search for "tattoo" on the online classifieds website Kijiji brought up a number of Calgary advertisements. It also showed an Alberta Health Services bulletin warning that anyone who has been inked at a home-based or mobile parlour - whether or not it was one of the seven closed -should arrange for tests.

MacDonald says the parlours potentially could have spread blood-borne diseases by reusing contaminated needles.

"If that equipment is not properly clean and sterilized, those viruses can stay on the equipment, and then when it's used on someone else, that's how it gets transferred from one person to another."

Mark Fehr, Calgary zone manager for environmental public health, said several of the shuttered parlours combined tattoo areas with kitchen areas.

Each violation under the Public Health Act can carry a fine of up to $2,000, but officials hadn't yet decided whether to pursue any charges.

Steve Peace, owner of Immaculate Concept Tattoo, a licensed facility in Calgary, said the closures give the entire industry a black eye just as it is finally achieving mainstream respect.

"Tattoos have been trying to come out of the gutter for 100 years and, pretty much, we're finally there," he said. "The guys at home aren't really following the rules."

There are stringent health-based requirements to get a licence to operate a tattoo parlour, but there's no standard of training for individual artists, Peace said. The number of home-based operations has drastically expanded, he added.

"Seven, that's a low number. I'd say there's more out there. There's about 100 I'd say, easy."

Health officials say investigations are ongoing and more closures are expected. They were tipped to the existing home operations by members of the public.

Fehr said about 45 tattoo parlours are licensed to operate in the city. They need to pass an initial health check as well as inspections every six to 12 months.

People looking for a tattoo should ask for the most recent health inspection report and should look around to get a sense of how clean the parlour is, said MacDonald. Good signs include visible hand sanitizer or nearby sinks.

The facilities shut down include Dustin Blatz Tattooing, Grave Marking Tattoo, Latino Tattoo Removal, Norm's Tattoos, Piercer Dan and Tattoo Girl. Outlaw Tattoo was also closed for improper procedures, although it has since received approval to reopen.

Peace said beyond the health dangers, untrained tattoo artists can be risky for another, more superficial reason - the finished product just doesn't look good.

He said he had at least two clients in the last couple of days who wanted bad tattoos covered up.

"It's almost 25 per cent of my business now."

20. Firefnd1982

Firefnd1982
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Woohoo, just got another part of my tattoo done, the snake and the staff was the first part, just got the cherry blossoms added on, going to be a half sleeve when i am done

[​IMG]