Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Take your kale and shove it, I'm having a cheat day

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Juice, Jul 16, 2014.

1. Noland

Noland
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Peel the eggplant and slice it lengthwise into thick strips and let them soak in a milk and egg mixture for a while, Dredge them in breadcrumbs and sautee them in olive oil. Dip them in powdered sugar. Or, if you have the ability, bernaise.

2. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Definitely lengthwise . . .

http://www.wtsp.com/story/news/weir...ployee-finds-god-in-sliced-eggplant/12396001/

3. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

His name is Jermarcus...

Parker is that a black name?

I'm expanding my original post to include all Italian food. I can't get enough of it. Chicken parm is really generic but it's just so so good. And the seasoned Italian bread with olive oil to dip in? Fuhgettaboutit.

4. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

5. Trakiel

Trakiel
    Expand Collapse
    Call me Caitlyn. Got any cake?

Focus: Pizza is my comfort food. I'm not particularly picky about where it comes from, just that it's hot and thick with zesty sauce.

alt-focus: I will admit, I'm not an adventurous eater. There are a lot of foods I've never bothered trying, but there are a few that I won't eat: mayo, cauliflower, mushrooms, but probably the #1 NOPE food for me is meatloaf. To this day, it's the only thing I've ever eaten that made me actually throw up (alcohol doesn't count).

6. Bundy Bear

Bundy Bear
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

There are so many foods I used to hate that in the last couple of years I've taken a liking too.

Focus: Bacon, Raspberries and Cheese are food items that I can constantly eat but I get a little piggish around a lot of foods. Also Mushrooms. You haters out there are missing out, fried up in some butter and they're amazing.

Anti-Focus: Corn. It smells fucking disgusting and tastes just as bad. Peanut Butter and Vegemite are nasty, stanky spreads that you will never find in cupboards.

7. sisterkathlouise

sisterkathlouise
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Focus: I do a lot of catharsis baking, so cookies are definitely way up there on my comfort food list. Also, pasta, particularly with lots of pesto, or just salt and butter. Sticky rice with a fried egg and gochujang is an amazing comfort/hangover breakfast that always makes me feel better. But my #1 comfort food has got to be my grandma's potato soup. I have tried to recreate it, but I'm pretty sure I never will do it successfully because of the quantity of butter and cream she uses.

Alt-focus: I find bananas offensive to all 5 of my senses, straight up yellow mustard is gross, and, try as I might, I have not figured out how to like mushrooms. Every once in a while I come across a mushroom I like, but usually it just tastes like a big, slimy piece of fungus. Also, I cannot wrap my mind around the fact that there are people in the world who consider black licorice an enjoyable candy. I find anything with too much anise to be thoroughly inedible.

8. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Pizza is my comfort food, followed closely by "traditional" Mexican steak tacos.

9. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

If I have a cheat day, a nice thick pizza and the movie-theater box of Sour Patch Kids. In elementary school, we used to have a Friday night ritual that included a trip to the movie store while the pizza was cooking and a snack run to the drug store before we headed home. Thus, this is as close to comfort food can get to recreating that ritual.

I hate corn and to quote Bunny "I will cut a bitch that comes at me with white condiments". The one food I will not eat is asparagus...fuck that smelly, sulfuric excuse for a vegetable.

10. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

Forgot about this. I will not eat corn. On the cob, off the cob, creamed -- if I can see that it is corn, I'm not gonna eat it. Reason is, I've learned my lesson from bad experiences. No body digests it well, my body in particular. Even in mixed company, if asked why I won't touch the corn, I'll proudly state (as I have in the past):

"I don't feel like shitting Braille."

Corn tastes great, if not delicious. Especially with butter and garlic and rosemary and grilled on the cob over white oak. But age makes pleasures not worth the sacrifice (as I've now come to terms with the fact that hangovers last more than a day instead of just hours). I'm one deliciously grilled corn-on-the-cob away from a prostate exam and hemorrhoid ointment or even surgery.

I'll stick to the sacrifice of not eating corn. And having to explain myself in mixed company (in the south, not eating corn is like saying you hate guns and Coors Light and the American flag).

11. zzr

zzr
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

That and the fact that she leaves out one crucial ingredient when she gives you the recipe. Whenever my mom takes her lasagna to a potluck it's always the first to go. People ask her for the recipe and she gladly gives it to them. What they don't know is that theirs will never taste like hers because her written recipe doesn't actually list everything she puts in it.

Focus: I'm not the type of person who turns to a comfort food when things aren't going my way, but Jefferson's wings and a pitcher of beer always put me in a good mood.

12. Frebis

Frebis
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

You should probably be aware that she didn't really give them the recipe if that is the case. She gave them a recipe.

Focus: I have three things that will always make me feel better. Pizza, Gourmet Cheese Burgers, and Bloody Mary's. Any time I am on vacation I seek out the best local variety of those three things. Iron Chef Michael Symon just opened a burger restaurant near where I live. I can not wait for it to cure my blues.

Anti-focus: I have a psychological fear of hot dogs. I don't know why. If you tell me a hot dog was a bratwurst I would probably eat it and enjoy it. But if I know it is supposed to be a hot dog I can not force myself to eat it. The thought makes me physically ill. It doesn't matter if it is kosher, all beef, turkey or veggie. Once my mind knows it is a hot dog I can not do it.

13. sisterkathlouise

sisterkathlouise
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The problem with my grandma's potato soup is that there is no recipe. She has tried to approximate but doesn't measure but does things just so.

Also, is it weird that one of my comfort foods involves kale? I forgot to mention it before, but I just made it tonight (veggie "gumbo" with all kinds of dark leafy greens, tomato, onion, celery, carrot, garlic, black eyed peas and a roux over brown rice). It became a staple of our weekly friend dinner because it is dirt cheap and can be made vegan.

14. TX.

TX.
    Expand Collapse
    The Mad Pooper

Focus:

Torchy's Tacos with queso.
    Mac and cheese.
    Cheesy mashed potatoes.

Basically anything with carbs.

Anti-Focus:

Anything fatty, super meaty, and/or greasy. Those are my IBS trigger foods. Sometimes you just have to say, "Fuck it," and ride out the wrath of your angry bowels.

15. shimmered

shimmered
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Mac n cheese with bacon topped with salsa.

I'm fucking starving.

16. happyfunball

happyfunball
    Expand Collapse
    overly defenCive stuffed cougar

I'm heading out right now and I have every intention of getting a basket of fries and a big ass bowl of cheese to dip them in. And I think it will only cost me $4. Not counting the drinks of course.

17. shimmered

shimmered
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Sounds like you're going to Sonic. Bitch.

18. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Steak & Eggs. Over-easy with three slices of toast. Not just my comfort meal, but my favourite meal.

Anti-Focus:

Raisins are satanic mouse turds dipped in arsenic and regurgitated by a turkey vulture. Processed mayo is Joey Buttafuoco's cum, and beets are the cross-section slices of barn bats. I'd rather eat a jumbo roll of tinfoil than touch any of that.

19. happyfunball

happyfunball
    Expand Collapse
    overly defenCive stuffed cougar

Local place actually. They sell delicious sangrias. I normally get raspberry but I think I might try the Sweet Tea flavored one. But I'm afraid to move away from a proven winner.

20. shimmered

shimmered
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Sounds amazing. We haven't found a 'spot' here yet. The closest we've gotten is a tap house that's local. The beers are good, the food is better than bar food. It's not the spot though.