Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Super Bowl Commercials

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Noland, Feb 1, 2012.

1. Noland

Noland
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

There are advertisements on television this Sunday surrounded by a football game. Other than disliking anyone with the last name of Manning I have zero emotional interest in the game, however, the commercials are entertaining.

How can you not like Mean Joe Green tossing that kid his jersey?

And I like this one mostly because it shows that Mac users were pretentious douches before you could even buy a Mac.

Focus: Discuss this year's 2012 Super Bowl ads. Which do you look forward to? Below is a site that takes you to a list of some.

Alt. Focus: Show us your favourite Super Bowl ad.

Post links.

#1 Noland, Feb 1, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  2. kuhjäger

kuhjäger
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Humanity is really far gone. I mean come on, a whole nation being excited about advertisers shoving crap down your throat, something they do every day.

It is like being excited about the one day you take a solid shit in the midst of weeks of diarrhea.

/I've been really bitter since some major website put up the ads, and you had to watch a commercial before they let you watch the commercial.

3. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

In Defense of Advertising:
    I work in Advertising. So I love to read "Oh my god, they're shoving products down our throat. Too many advertisements wahhhhhh."

Here is one view:

For Ad Agencies, there is where they can swing dicks. Show off the best of what their agency can do and make a fuck ton of money off it. Careers are made off this. Ad Men and Women talk about these for a year. They can be the deciding factors in winning billions of dollars of business from another agency. Also its entertainment. Everyone has laughed at an ad before, there are ads that make you think about different things or even introduce you to something that might make your life better.

Here is the other approach:

Also, advertising pays for free entertainment. You don't want commercials? You're going to pay your cable companies more money or your radio companies money, so they can pay the actors, producers, directors, camera men, DJs etc. Pandora, free podcasts, YouTube and yes, even the ability to search for information on Google/Bing is paid for by advertising. Would you rather sit and watch a few minutes of commericals or pay 10 dollars a month for what is currently free? Or pay to use Google so you're not being advertised to? Yeah, didn't think so. Enjoy the goddamn ads I'm making.
    Focus: My favorite commercial happened during the year the Patriots won the Super Bowl.
    The Budweiser True ad AKA known as the WAZZZZZZUPPPPPPP Commercial

#3 Parker, Feb 1, 2012
  4. Dcc001

Dcc001
    Expand Collapse
    New Bitch On Top

I never laughed so hard at a commercial as I did at the Budweiser Donkey:

This image of that little donkey at the end saddled up and leading a team of Clydesdales is just hysterical.

I don't mind advertising, if it's used sparingly and if it's as well done as Superbowl commercials tend to be. The argument of "well, if you don't want to watch it, you'll pay more for your media" is actually valid. If I could pay more on my cable bill and never see a commercial again, it would be fine with me. I think the argument is becoming moot, though, because with PVRs people themselves are phasing out commercials. Everyone I know with a PVR records the shows they want and watches them uninterrupted the next day.

Slightly off topic, but this has to be one of the best commercials ever shot:

Sometimes advertising can have a heart.

#4 Dcc001, Feb 2, 2012
  5. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Terry Crews rules.

Do it Right:

#5 Crown Royal, Feb 2, 2012
  6. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Even though both of the products are P&G, I know the bullshit that agency had to go through to get that cleared. Fucking great.

Also, if you guys haven't picked up on it, everyone has two variations of commercials. They are releasing version B to gauge response and release version A during the game. Like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ntDYjS0Y3w

#6 Parker, Feb 2, 2012
  7. bebop007

bebop007
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The 1984 Mac ad will probably remain a personal favorite for a long time.

It's Ridley Scott's work for god's sake!

However, this one is slowly earning a pretty high spot.

#7 bebop007, Feb 2, 2012
  8. Firefnd1982

Firefnd1982
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I am not sure if you can classify this as a commercial but it is an advertisement for Reebok so I am throwing it in the mix, and it aired during Super Bowl XXXVII in 2003.

Easily the funniest advertisement i have ever seen. There is actually a series of them (9 total i think) but you can't beat the original.

#8 Firefnd1982, Feb 3, 2012
  9. Renholder

Renholder
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Not a single Millet Lite commercial? Only 2 Doritos commercials? Overall, a good year.

By the way, the Bud Lite Platinum they showed is actually pretty good. I like Bud Lite to begin with but this new stuff tastes a little better and it's 6% alcohol so that's a bonus. I had a rep drop off a bottle while I was working like a week ago and I've been meaning to buy a case since then. Now it's going to look like I was taken in by a Super Bowl commercial.

10. Diablo

Diablo
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Best two minutes of the whole game...

#10 Diablo, Feb 6, 2012
  11. ssycko

ssycko
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I worked on one of those commercials, along with a bunch of stuff for in-house stuff for their reps, so I had tried it in like, October? It's pretty much just Bud Light. Anyway, I forgot that it was being released today, so when I went to grab some beer to bring over I saw it on the shelves, laughed, and grabbed some. I then coincidentally walked into the party right after the commercial had aired, so everyone was like "oh my GOD IS THAT PLATINUM :JKLSDFSLKJDFLSKJFDL." I guess the commercials worked haha.

12. JWags

JWags
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

13. $100T2

$100T2
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I actually really like the VW pre-game teaser commercial better than everything I saw tonight.

#13 $100T2, Feb 6, 2012
  14. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

That Clint Eastwood Chrysler commercial was the shit. I fucking loved it. I could talk about this all day. I might have ended up taking 26 notes during the commercials. Maybe.

15. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded