Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Summer BBQ Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jrczj, Mar 19, 2010.

1. breakylegg

breakylegg
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

aside from ribeyes, whenever I go to BBQs I always bring a cucumber/tomato/chicken/feta salad that disappears fast. I used to make my own dressing for it but any good bottled Italian dressing will do. oh, and when you bring food, bring beer.

2. fishy

fishy
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

On hot summer days, I like to do a black bean & corn salad that is very refreshing. It’s dairy free so you can leave it out all day and not have to worry about it going bad, and is very versatile.

I’ll usually serve it as is with tortilla chips, or as a side for grilled shrimp or chicken skewers. Make it a day ahead if you can, the flavors develop over time in the fridge. Its still excellent right away, so feel free to do it first thing in the AM and have it available all day.

I don’t have exact quantities for everything, just add what you think looks good and suits your taste.

Canned black beans (drained & rinsed well)
    Fresh yellow or white corn
    Fine diced red bell peppers
    Fresh squeezed lime juice
    Olive Oil
    Salt/Pepper to taste

Grill the corn until you get some color on all sides. I’ve grilled them both in & out of the husks and have had good results either way. It’s pretty hard to screw this up.

Let the corn cool completely, and remove kernels.
    Mix corn, black beans, & bell pepper well.
    Add remaining ingredients. You’re looking for about a 3-to-1 ratio on olive oil (3) to lime juice (1).

I’ve added diced cucumber to this as well and its been great.

Enjoy.