Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Sub Culture

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DrFrylock, Sep 2, 2010.

1. Zazz

Zazz
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Focus: I was definitely in the skater/hip hop crowd. After Columbine I bullied the fuck out of goths. Are you really going to show up to school in a trenchcoat? Then I am really going to push you down the stairs.

Alt. focus: I was a hipster before it blew up. That shit is sooo played out now.

2. theillest

theillest
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Goths. These kids with black fingernails, smeared make-up, wearing black lace hose? NOT GOTHS!

Real Goths apparently emerged in England in the 70's and were fucking cool. Top hats, gloves, canes, three piece suits. They were throwbacks to the late Victorian era with a dash of the macabre. Fucking cool.

3. Nick

Nick
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

The fact that you think the ensemble had anything to do with "real goths" being cool, tells me that you have absolutely no idea what cool is, nor they.

4. theillest

theillest
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

I think that's a bad-ass aesthetic. The fact that you think cool is one specific thing that YOU think is cool tells me you have absolutely no idea what cool is. Cool is entirely subjective.

5. Primer

Primer
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

FOCUS: I've never been one to label myself; I used to have the whole skater look going, when I was younger I was a total nerd. Lately, I've been called a hipster and artsy looking.

ALTERNATE FOCUS: I've been called a hipster many times while out at the bar but I don't know if I fit into that category; mainly because I'm not really sure what the definition of a hipster is. I dress how I dress because I enjoy this look. I've got tattoo's, piercings, I wear skinny jeans and I have lots plaid, button up shirts; I never put more than two minutes of thought into my looks as I don't give a fuck about it. I listen to a lot of indie bands but I'm not about to look down on someone who doesn't; I listen to that music because I it. I don't really know if I've met many actual hipsters, there doesn't seem to be many here in Edmonton that I've noticed (maybe I'm desensitized to it?). It also helps that I find the whole scenester/hipster look fucking hot and that look turns my fucking crank. Frankly, I could give a fuck about what other people call me; it's generally the meat-head's at the bar who call me a hipster anyway.

Enough about me. I find hipsters are just people looking for a niche. It's like the punk scene back in the day; all those punk were looking for was individuality. Look back into the eighties and you'll notice a lot of the popular trends that were going on then are re-appearing; hipsters are not a new thing, they've been around a long, long time and we've just given them a new name. My uncles and some of my older cousins could be construed at hipsters, hell, they've got clothes that look quite similar to what some of these new-age hipsters are wearing.

Plus, if you're going to start hating on groups think of this: jocks, emo's, nerds or skids. They're all just groups of people trying to find a place to fit in. That's all it is; hipsters are no different than jocks, with their sports jackets and obsession for sports teams. Why are hipsters looked so down upon? I love my indie bands and the jocks love their football team. Both parties could give a fuck about the others obsession and only get antsy when its brought up.

6. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Think about it this way. If you see someone with down syndrome, your reaction is "Aw, poor guy, that must be tough. I hope he finds happiness." Your reaction if you see someone with down syndrome, and they start calling you stupid, is "Are you fucking kidding me? You're retarded!"

Focus: I sexually harassed shegirl before it was cool.

7. theillest

theillest
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Very true. Beatnicks in the 50's, Parisian film students in the 60's, 80's new wave to a degree, all with aesthetically common threads.

8. shegirl

shegirl
    Expand Collapse
    Redemption Seeking Whore

I played sports all through school so I guess I was in whatever that "click" was. No one ever fucked with or called me anything (shejock?) or anything like that but I used to hang out with the football team. Cool guys I got to know better than most because of chronic ankle issues so they had to sit in the whirlpool and I had to get them wrapped before every practice and game. There was always football players in the training room too for one reason or another.

Highschool is hard enough for some as it is, having some sort of group you feel you belong with or too can help the social gimps, gimp though their school years better. Some groups are for the better and some for the worse.

My senior year I had a hand injury in November that kept me from playing basketball that final year. I was done with sports. I switched group of friends (jocks to stoners/skippers basically) and even though I'd never been in any trouble at school prior, my senior year I was in and out of it quite a bit. I still look back though and say it was my favorite year.

As for my liking/being part of/disliking any group specifically, I don't know much about any of them so who am I to judge?
    There is only one group that totally piss me off, ok well two. One is the protesters that clog up streets for their cause, all the while covering their fucking faces. Your cause is so great right? Then why are you hiding from any association with it? It makes no sense.

The second is bicyclists that think they own the fucking road. Hey asshole, you don't pay a fucking thing for road repair, you don't have to license shit and yet your "laws of the road" are practically nonexistent. And while I'm at it how about a fucking wave once you've crested a hill to let me know it's clear so I can pass you? Thanks. And one more thing I was reminded via rep, you all dress funny too. So there!

And Aetius is right, he did.

9. Primer

Primer
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Don't hate me because I'm different; hate me because I'm better than you.

10. Trakiel

Trakiel
    Expand Collapse
    Call me Caitlyn. Got any cake?

I'm not a bicyclist per se but I ride my bike around enough to think I have an idea where some of this attitude comes from. I think a lot of it is fostered by local ordinances and enforcement of interaction between cyclists and pedestrians; I know when I'm on my bike I hate it when I'm treated as though I'm a vehicle equal with a car in terms of safety around pedestrians. Newsflash assholes, if I'm on my bike and I hit a pedestrian we're probably looking at scrapes and brusies, but if I'm on my bike and I get hit by a fucking car I'm looking at serious injury or death. So don't get all indignant when I don't follow the exact same rules of the road as though I'm equal to a car, because I'm assuredly not, and I'm just trying to make sure I can ride my bike without getting killed.

That said, assholes on bikes who ride like douchebags and make automobiles kowtow to them are fucking stupid.

11. Nick

Nick
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Yeah, but the basis for your argument appears to be that kids "with black fingernails, smeared make-up, wearing black lace hose" are not cool, but that kids with "top hats, gloves, canes, three piece suits" are. I guess everybody is entitled to his own opinion about what type of year-round Halloween costumes people should wear.

12. KMD

KMD
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Outside of your coolness pissing contest, those weren't Goths. Those were New Romantics, which developed separately from Goths but went to the same bars and shit.

Focus: I like the grunge aesthetic and am something of a punk kid. Best friend was a streetie, but he's more into Celt punk now that he needs money and can't go around rocking the full ensemble.

Alt Focus: The sad thing is, even though I hate their stupid guts and wouldn't be caught dead with them, my current style and taste in music is depressingly hipster/hypebeast (which is like hipster for black people). If I had more money and less sense, I'd probably be a hipster.

13. rei

rei
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

14. Disgustipated

Disgustipated
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Whatever. Steampunk is where it's at.

In other news:
    (It's a pisstake if you can't tell)

#34 Disgustipated, Sep 2, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  15. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

I was in high school when all that great shit from the early nineties came out, so I owned plaid shirts and a pair of Doc Martins (which feel wonderful when you get one spread across your face by a crowd surfer). Grunge kid all the way, though I liked metal more and I never grew my hair very long. I thought it would seem less silly than pretending I was black and that I rooted for the L.A. Raiders.

16. Arctic_Scrap

Arctic_Scrap
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

FOCUS: What subcultures have you been a part of? Secretly wanted to be a part of? Hated passionately? Did your parents do everything in your power to prevent you from becoming a goth or a punk kid?

I cannot stand todays "cowboys." Everyone sees them, with a stupid hat, some type of flannel shirt, and shit kicking boots. Mainly the hat though. Listening to their Rascal Flats or Toby Keith or some other no talent country act. Maybe you ride a horse or have a few acres of land out in the country but you are not a cowboy so stop acting like it. I cannot stand the cockiness of these idiots when I go out to a bar. They try to make a scene, all normal people tell them they're dumb and that's that. Just because you may help sheep over a fence doesn't make you a bad ass. Unless you live in Montana or maybe Colorado or something and have 1000s of acres of land that is your life then maybe you can call yourself a cowboy. My step father was a real cowboy, he worked and lived on huge farms and broke in horses and drove cattle in a time when there wasn't even electricity or running water at some of these places. He laughs at these people also. Just in general I hate the "cowboy" life, cowboy hats, and country music.

17. Rumble

Rumble
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

In high school I thought any bands beside punk bands were sell-outs. Though I never dressed like a punk per se. I did have a jean jacket with a bunch of patches of punk bands but thats about the extent of my punkness, I was still pretty clean cut.

The funny part is, at young age of 29 (ha) I would probably be considered a member of the rockabilly subculture. Also, half jokingly known as the punk rock retirement program. Now, I've never really changed my look. I've always worn chucks, dickies or jeans, black band shirts, plaid cowboyish shirts and workshirts, BUT, my hair has been getting longer and greasier.

There are the weekend warriors that "dress up" to go out to the shows but whatever, they can do whatever the hell they want. I go out to the shows because I genuinely like the music and am lucky to live in a city with a few decent bands in the genre. I started going out to the shows years ago by myself and slowly met other cool people in the scene and it all happened rather organically. But it really doesn't hurt that rockabilly girls are sooooooo goddamn hot.

But yeah, I can't really judge anybody for belonging to a subculture. If it works for you great, if it doesn't I'm sure you'll belong to the next popular fad.

18. seelivemusic

seelivemusic
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I've been into two subcultures/scenes:

From 1982-87 I was into the Boston hardcore/thrash music scene but wasn't good enough to be really into skating. I'd smoke weed & drink beer and watch my friends skate. Wore all the clothes and insulted people.

Went thru a dirty hippie phase from 1990-98, flowers in my hair and everything. Still smoked weed & drank beer but added LSD & MDMA to the mix. Surprisingly I don't remember that much from those years.

I was tired of PH!SH & hippie girls so I cut my hair, shaved my beard, and showered on a regular basis.

19. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

20. thatone

thatone
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I have spent my life being too fucking socially retarded to fit into any sort of subculture

I am not really too bothered by much, but the aesthetics of hipsters confuses the heck out of me. I can't help but wonder that they dress like shit, get rubbish haircuts and fucking crap tattoos to prove that they don't give a fuck about what anyone thinks about their appearance and that, by doing this, are showing that they care a lot.

And wearing eye-glasses without lenses is just stupid. It isn't a "statement against the idea that you need to have an eye condition to wear eyeglasses". The only statement it makes is "I am an insecure fucktard too chickenshit to say 'I think that it looks good' so I will try really hard to say something cool". Fuck you, faggot in contracts class.