Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Street art

Discussion in 'Pop Culture Board' started by Zazz, May 11, 2010.

1. Zazz

Zazz
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I've been a follower and supporter of Banksy for years. When I heard that this world-famous yet anonymous street artist was coming out with a "movie," excitement and apprehension arose. I was in Denver recently and was fortunate to catch Exit Through the Gift Shop, along with about 6 other viewers, playing at the one theater known for showing films more on the obscure side.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

I used to have my signature stencil of a burger and fries that I pasted all over my university and local store walls during my time at college, and some were even left up by the store owners. I've never considered it art, but I've felt strangely honored and proud to have my "work" on public display.

Focus:For something so ubiquitous and, according to the film, lucrative, how is street art (No, not that scribbly shit gangbangers mark their territory with) not getting more attention? Should it be removed or revered? What's the difference between street art and museum art if they both evoke emotion and rich people's wallets to open?

Also, feel free to show your favorite street artist or art piece.

2. Guy Fawkes

Guy Fawkes
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I love well done street art.

In my mid to late teens we would skate all over the city of Boston and explore train yards and train tunnels, rarely painting ourselves but taking photos of completely painted trains and abandoned train stations in the tunnels.

Most of my photos were taken with disposable cameras but many of the shots are really good. When I get home I'll scan some and put them up.