Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Stranger Things

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Rush-O-Matic, Jul 19, 2016.

1. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Stranger Things on Netflix is really good. I've only watched the first two episodes. Because I'm old enough to have been a kid exactly during the time this is set, I think I'm enjoying it more. (And, I just found out it is filmed about 20 minutes up the road from me.) However, I don't think what I am enjoying is driven only by nostalgia. It's like the vibe of E.T. meets Halloween, with a dash of Super 8 and Twin Peaks. Winona Ryder is terrific.

2. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Yep.. I'm three in and am quite enjoying it. Now I just need to find more time to watch stuff, because HBO and Netflix is killing it these days with their original content.

Another show on broadcast cable I've enjoyed has been Life In Pieces... some pretty amazing talent on there and an interesting way of telling stories. So far I've found it somewhat amusing.

3. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm going to be annoying and bump myself. Everybody needs to get on this. I have looked over my shoulder a couple times while watching this, and it's been a loooong time since a TV show has made me do that.

I know some of y'all weren't even born in the 80s. But, I'm telling you, the costume and prop department for this production is KILLING it, too.

4. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Stranger Things is equal parts Stephen King, The Goonies, E.T., Poltergeist, Freaks and Geeks, and the soundtrack to Drive. It's also more 80's than anything actually made in the 80's. It manages to take every two dimensional cliche and trope from every genre in the 80's and render them as fully three dimensional characters. A+, absolutely recommend.

#4 Aetius, Jul 22, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2016
  5. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

6. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Enough people are talking about it, we can spin it off into its own thing.

7. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

I love this show! We watched it for the first time a couple days ago and blasted through 4 episodes yesterday. I regret nothing....except not having more time to power through the whole thing.

I love the intro, the colors, the music, the nostalgia. This is a great show and Winona Ryder is killing it. I am used to seeing her in younger, "hotter" roles so at first I was like....is that her...? YES That's her!

8. TX.

TX.
    Expand Collapse
    The Mad Pooper

This show is awesome! No lie...it's creeping me out. I would never watch this alone...

9. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

This isn't really a spoiler, but I'll tag it anyway.
    In Episode 7, the two parents of two kids who people are looking for, are asked questions about their involvement and the parents are absolutely clueless. And are flabbergasted by the idea their kids are involved. So perfectly in tune with the 80s movie parents.
    I noticed watching tonight that the stars by the title have moved from 4 to 5, now.

10. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

I thought for sure they were going to start wising up towards the end when the police start asking questions, but it was merely a speedbump in their cluelessness. When the CIA/secret government types tell them to stay in the house while their kids are basically being manhunted, and they look at each other and say "the government wants what's best for us!" Made me facepalm hard. Way to continue your streak of being the dumbest, most checked out parents ever.

11. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Exactly. And, so consistent with 80's movies.

I watched the final episode last night. I have so many questions. Just awesome.

12. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'd like to see if they make more seasons of the show simply because of how well it was made. What would be cool is if they made it into an American Horror Story type setup where each season is a totally different story.

They could even crowd source ideas and write them out. Maybe even do different time periods.

13. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The writers have confirmed that they wrote a ton more backstory than appeared in season 1, and that season 2 will be a continuation of the same story with the same characters.

14. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Id love that. The whole feeling of the show brought me back to childhood. Minus the game they were playing.

15. TX.

TX.
    Expand Collapse
    The Mad Pooper

Yeah...I was born in 83, but this is how I remember houses, adults, and my early childhood in general. I think I had Holly's wardrobe, and my mom dressed like that slutty high school chick. I hate the caricatures most TV shows or movies make of the 80s. This is how I remember it.

16. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Well, I hate you. I was in 10th grade but whatever shut up.

There were so many scenes that just . . . the basement? Down to the lighting. That WAS my friend's house. I mentioned in another post that it was filmed about 20 minutes up the road from me, so those neighborhoods were exactly like where I grew up. Appliances, carpet color, the little faux wood drawer VHS tape holders and so on. The scene where Steve gets out of the car, and sort of turns the collar of his Members Only jacket with just a bit of a flip HAD to have been a direction from the Director, because it was just so good.

17. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Born in 86, and this show still hits the nostalgia like nothing else has.

18. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

19. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

This show for me combines two ingenious elements: one is a Saturday matinee/gee-whiz 80's feel moulded to the skeleton of Spielberg's golden years with Amblin studios. Jump scares, dastardly secret agents, strong friendship bonds and a music score to knock your socks off.

...as well as this feel that doesn't just have exquisite period detail but it gives the FEEL of what it was like to watch movies and TV in the 80's. A sense of wonder that was boosted immeasurably by the VHS/Beta rental boom which exploded when this show takes place. Even the way they launch the episode's title screen is low-def chic.

9.5/10. Absolutely fucking nailed it.

20. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

It seems that before writing this show they spent two decades going shopping at every garage sale in America. They aren't pushing things in your face that are cliche like Rubiks Cubes and rubber bracelets. Everything from the poorly stitched gym bags used to carry school books to the shitty faux wood paneling rings up déjà vu. They remember the styles and the slangs.

#20 Crown Royal, Aug 9, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2016