Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Storage Wars

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DrFrylock, Apr 18, 2011.

1. DrFrylock

DrFrylock
    Expand Collapse
    The White

I am now fucking addicted to this show. It is like crack delivered through TV signals. If a VCR appears in my stomach tomorrow, this will be why. Only watch it on DVR, though, because you have to fast-forward through the commercials. The three greatest TV shows ever are now:

1. LOST
    2. House, M.D.
    3. Storage Wars

FOCUS 1: Discuss the awesomeness that is Storage Wars. How big a dick is Dave? How much does Barry remind you of Robert Evans?

FOCUS 2: What profession have you seen on TV (or elsewhere) that almost made you quit your job and take up a new vocation? Did you actually do it? What prevented you from not doing it?

2. rei

rei
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

FOCUS 3: Discuss Frylock's glaring omission of Top Gear.

Actually related to focus 2, I want a profession that lets me drive sports cars while trying to evade military hardware, and to storm a beach in a Ford Fiesta.

3. Mild Sedative

Mild Sedative
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

FOCUS 1: I hate dave. Also, that girl is too hot for her husband (who sucks anyway).
    Focus 3: Top Gear UK is awesome. All members of top gear US should be lynched

4. ASL

ASL
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Top Gear UK is definitely one of my favorite shows. Awesome cars, and the guys are truly hilarious.
    I'l have to second the lynching request for the US version. It's an abortion.

5. framerpro

framerpro
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Isn't there a tv show thread that would be perfectly adequate to handle all discussion about these tv shows, and possibly more? That being said, I love that show as well.

6. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

FOCUS 2: What profession have you seen on TV (or elsewhere) that almost made you quit your job and take up a new vocation? Did you actually do it? What prevented you from not doing it?

White Collar makes the life of white collar crime look so glamorous. Need to pick this lock, forge this bill, make a perfect look-a-like to that famous painting, or deactivate this WWII bomb? Neil can do it all, and looks sexy to boot.

Too bad that, in order to be that good at that many things, you'd need A) really good training, B) super high intelligence, C) natural talent, and D) be okay with doing illegal things all the time.

7. tempest

tempest
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Top Gear Australia isn't too great either....

Obviously I would love to have this job. The only thing standing in my way are any sort of qualifications at all.

8. lhprop1

lhprop1
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Is it just me or does Brandy have an overwhelming MILFness about her?

9. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Alt focus: I along with 10 or so others here would give it up and HAVE GOT TO GET THE GOLD! As long as we kick out Tom and his dad but keep the guns and Dorsey's cute wife as a comfort women. I'm down right now.

10. Noland

Noland
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I seriously want to go work for Red Jacket Firearms. I don't really like guns, but do I want to help put a suppressor on a shotgun? Bet your ass.

Also, there is the possibility of nailing Stephanie, who, empirically, isn't all that attractive, but there's something about her. It would probably be the last thing I ever did, but not a bad way to go.

11. zyron

zyron
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

My brother does this for a living and has been doing it for about 10 years. I have gone to a number of these auctions. What happens is people don't pay the rent for the unit for about 2-3 months. The storage facility then has to notify these people and then also put it in the paper so they have a chance to pay. If they don't then the shit gets auctioned.

The owners don't want to be bothered selling this shit because it is a pain in the ass and plus they would have to pay to haul all the crap to the dump (90% of what is in these units is garbage, sometimes 100%). The storage facilities just get what you pay for the unit, they don't get a cut. Plus you usually only have a day or two to clean the unit out and you have to take everything.

I have helped my brother clean about 100 of these units out. You would be amazed how many ugly people take naked pictures of themselves.

12. Maltob14

Maltob14
    Expand Collapse
    Space Cadet

Focus 3: Top Gear UK is the shit and one of my hands down favorite shows. I'm pretty sure they have one of the best jobs in the world.

13. Dead Parrot

Dead Parrot
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

I've found Auction Hunters on Spike TV to be a much better show than Storage Wars. First you get to actually watch them sell the items that they find, so you know how much money they actually made unlike in Storage Wars where they only find the approximate value. Secondly they find cooler stuff like all kinds of antique guns, and take time to go over the history of the items. Lastly it doesn't have all the reality-show-competition-bullshit where you have to repeatedly listen to the same douche repeat "I'm not here to make friends", etc.

14. zyron

zyron
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

That show is bullshit, I don't believe that show is real for one second. And that is how the real storage auctions are. The guys try bidding other people up because since you have to pay in cash, they are trying to run the other guys out of money.

15. Disgustipated

Disgustipated
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Top Gear UK is THE shit, and mostly because they don't give a crap about political correctness. You can watch that show with no idea or interest in cars (not speaking personally, of course) and still enjoy it.

Being from the ass end of the world, I have never seen Storage Wars. It reminds me of the old puzzles where you had to look at a picture for a couple of minutes and them remember what was in them.

I've got to find out if they have something like that here. Good luck to anyone if there's ever a situation where our storage shed is up for auction. It contains 8 years of transaction and financial records. Very useful in the wrong hands, completely useless in the right hands.

A friend of mine is going through hell with his storage company. He and his family packed their house into storage to go travelling. The place sold them on a system where they use shipping containers which are packed onsite at the house, stored, and them unloaded at the next house - no double handling. Plus, shipping containers are relatively secure. They weren't even old containers.

While they were away, the storage place got caught in the floods we had recently. He had two containers there. Before the floods, it turns out the storage place had unpacked one and placed everything in the open air on a warehouse floor (they did this to a number of people). All of this stuff was either swept away or trashed. The other container was still packed, but as leaky as a sieve. 90% of what was in there was trashed too. This was pretty much everything they had - furniture, computers, clothes, kids toys, wedding photos. The storage place is denying liability. There's a massive fight coming.

16. McSmallstuff

McSmallstuff
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Alt focus: All of you are stupid poopy faces. Drive your cars fast. Do your illegal stuff. Be an incurably abrasive yet brilliant doctor. I will be busy. I'll be dreaming up new and exciting ways to blow up everyday things. I'll be getting drunk in the name of science. I'll be a hero to hot nerd girls everywhere. That's right! I will be a Myth Buster.

17. gtg2k

gtg2k
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I'm all about some Storage Wars. I rather enjoy Dave's dickish nature, and also when he loses his shit about the hats and shirts making fun of him. Brandi does have some hot MILFness to her, but she let Jarrod pop it in her, so I can't follow that out of self-respect.

I would love to do it as a hobby, but the missus and I are trying to have kids, so I'm putting as much disposable income aside as possible. For a living? No.

18. Dead Parrot

Dead Parrot
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

I understand they're trying to run the other guys out of money, it happens in Auction Hunters as well, but the constant trash talk is purely for the cameras to create "drama", and its incredibly annoying. The show is supposed to be about finding hidden gems in the storage lockers and selling them for profit, if I wanted to watch grown people argue and act like rotten children I'd watch The Ultimate Fighter.

19. eric

eric
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Focus 2 Drinking Made Easy on HDNET (http://www.drinkingmadeeasy.com/). For those of you that haven't seen it, here's a synopsis of the show from the website...

n the summer of 2010, Zane Lamprey, Steve McKenna and Marc Ryan set off on an 80-day road trip that would take them through 53 cities, 26 states and nearly 10,000 miles. Along the way, they shot a television show by day, and performed a live stand-up comedy show by night. With two tour buses and more than 15 people in tow, they traversed the US with one goal in mind: to entertain the masses.

"Drinking Made Easy" on HDNet follows the guys on this once-in-a-lifetime trip as they hit up local watering holes, pubs, bars, restaurants, breweries, wineries and distilleries in an attempt to find the most unique and interesting beers, wines and spirits, and cocktails across this great country of ours.

Zane Lamprey visits the local drinking establishments, usually with co-host (stunt-drinker) Steve McKenna coming along, as correspondent Marc Ryan visits breweries, wineries and distilleries to continue the educational aspect of the show. In each episode the guys visit a different city, exploring the local drinks and drinking customs, partake in an eating challenge, and take each other on head-to-head in unimportant competitions.

But in short, three guys traveling the country by tour bus visiting bars/breweries/distilleries and drinking. Kind of a mix between a travel/food show (think Bourdain or Zimmern) and a frat party. The show has a built-in drinking game, the rules of which are explained during the show. At least once an episode is a chugging contest. The eating challenge often ends up with projectile vomiting. And its all shot in HD.

Hmmm...Getting paid to drink, drinks paid for by the show, free food and a tour bus. Where do I sign?

20. M4A1

M4A1
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Jarrod reminds me of a bar-owner that I used to work for. Decent with a bit of slimy streak. Barry looks like a Jewish Barry Goldwater to me. The rest, meh.

Oh yeah, Brandi is so fuckable, it's not even funny.