Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Still Hungover from 4th of July Drunk Thread 7/9/10!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Blue Dog, Jul 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frank

Frank
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Ok, so I got the drinking and sleeping part down, the studying? not so much.

Also it's hot as fucking balls, I'm sweating my ass off and I'm SITTING STILL, WHAT THE FUCK? Totally taking a few study days this week to hang out where the gf is house sitting, they have central air.

2. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Once again a soccer team is victorious by acting like a a bunch of faggy hacks. Slapped on the hand? Go down screaming. Leg brushes against another? Go down screaming. Touched by a beam of fucking light? Get a priest on the field to give last rites (until the yellowcard pops up). This shit taints the sport like a giant skidmark and it only gets worse year after year. Is it any wonder why we don't like it in North America?

3. Dcc001

Dcc001
    Expand Collapse
    New Bitch On Top

I won't speak for the whole of North America, but I'll wager a guess for Canada. I don't think soccer will EVER catch on here (meaning viewership of professional games; not on the local level where kids play) because of one thing: hockey. Now, I can't stand to watch hockey, but I acknowledge that it is a badass game. Unlike soccer, which anyone who can run, has a round object and a flat piece of ground can play, hockey requires that you first learn to skate before you can even dream of playing the game itself.

Done well, it becomes this:

Dude lost SEVEN FUCKING TEETH and simply skated to the side, had the trainer numb his mouth and pull the remains out, then was back on for the next shift. Once you've become accustomed to that as a fan, soccer becomes a bunch of candy-ass bullshit. Can you imagine a professional soccer player saying, "Well, it's one thing to lose one or two teeth, but seven is pretty tough." Or: "How awesome is that?! Dude loses half his teeth and keeps playing." All this from fellow teammates? No way.

#123 Dcc001, Jul 11, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  4. ghettoastronaut

ghettoastronaut
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I once went to an MLS game; the atmosphere there was far better than any professional hockey / baseball / football game I've been to (okay, only two of those three are really professional sports in Canada). The fan base is obviously small but, at least here, it's pretty dedicated. Not that I particularly follow the NHL or MLS, but I think it has less to do with soccer needing to step up the physical side of the game with fighting and losing teeth and more to do with the soccer players needing to stop being such massive, massive vaginas. If they can put on a high quality game and start getting TV contracts then it stands a chance to overtake the CFL and MLB in popularity in Canada.

Relevant to drinking: I was sarcastically called a know-it-all thinks-he-knows-everything 20 year old for making the suggestion that a shot was 1.5 oz and not a flat ounce today. From someone who attended bartending school no less. Then again, this is the kind of person who would suggest using powdered sour mix over freshly squeezed lime juice, so.

5. Supertramp

Supertramp
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

So a shot is 1oz today?

edit: a quick google says that they're 1.5 fl.oz.

Sorry Ghetto, you're pretty much wrong

<a class="postlink" href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shot_glass" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shot_glass</a>

scroll down to US and Canada.

I've seen 1oz shot glasses, they're noticeably smaller than the 1.5oz. The 1.5oz are common in Montreal anyway.

6. Dayvan

Dayvan
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

I'm also a bartender with a wealth of study and training under my belt, and this is a common debate, I'll let Webtender sum it up:

A "shotglass" is usually 1.5 ounces, but sometimes 2 ounces with a measuring line at 1.5 ounces. You can also buy (in US) "short shot" glasses or "pony shots" which are 1 ounce. Pony shots are usually used with martinis, manhattans, and rob roys.

Currently the majority of chain/franchise restaurants or bars use "pony shots" as their "shotglass".

That's why it's best to get it chilled [in my opinion] as the bartender has greater control of the pour and typically will put it in into a small rocks glass [the end result being larger due to the melted ice and the either jiggered or free-poured amount of the spirit of choice] ...as opposed to a "pony shot" glass.

7. Sam N

Sam N
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

No, really???

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.