Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Star Wars: Episode VII Discussion

Discussion in 'Pop Culture Board' started by Parker, Oct 19, 2015.

1. Currer Bell

Currer Bell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Most people think that she will turn out to be Luke's daughter. That's my theory. I just feel like her connection to that lightsaber is too strong for it just to be that she's strong in the force. It was neat when the lightsaber flew past Kylo to her - yes that could be explained by her being stronger in the force, but I prefer to think that the force was directing the lightsaber to who deserved it more based on previous ownership.

2. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Some things JJ could just have done a lot more subtly.

Thoughts
    • Sorry to shit on the party but her whole force awakening was eye rollingly bad. When her and Kylo are battling and he mentions training her in the force she does a double take and said "the force!" squints her eyes and force pushes him off of her.
    • I'd say her fighting abilities where probably magnified visually just by the fact that Kylo seemed so unhinged and blunt in his tactics, he was way less nimble as we are used to in this series.
    • I loved BB.
    • It was weird to me having a girl that talks just like Keira Knightley and a dude who sounds American.
    • Most of the "heavy" dialogue between Han and Leia was pretty clunky.
    • Han did not need to say it was the Resistance that was coming right after Kylo took Rey aboard his ship after the land battle, could have chopped that line out and had the classic music cue drop that hint.
    • Can we get something more epic and non repetitive than another BIGGER Deathstar? Referencing Starkiller does not make up for it.
    • Even with 500 million world wide I don't think they are going to come close to breaking even on the marketing budget...
    [​IMG]

#42 Kubla Kahn, Dec 20, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2015
  3. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

I wasn't quite clear on the state of politics. So the First Order came from the remnants of the Empire. But it sounds like the Republic was rebuilt. And the Resistance is a Republic-aligned rebellion within the First Order's sphere of influence? And the capital of the Resistance was blown up by Starkiller? There was barely any attention paid those details.

4. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Isn't that similar to the way it was done in "New Hope?" Just bad guys versus good guys.

These numbers are just staggering.
    http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=4134&p=.htm

Every store I go in has some Star Wars item you can buy and every other commercial is for a toy or promotional tie-in. I think Disney is going to do okay in profits.

5. guernica

guernica
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

6. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

7. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The first paragraph alone is the whole point of the "amazing" theory with an "interesting" twist. Why did it have to be in all caps? Good grief, that's awful. Twitter is successful because it limits even stupid people to 140 characters.

8. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It's already over a billion, putting it at #15 all time and it's only been a week. Given how many star wars geeks will watch this a dozen times it could smash the record set by Avatar.

9. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Also, hasnt even opened in China yet, which is the second biggest market after the US.

10. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

So are we far enough away from the launch giddiness to discuss wether this movie is really a true absolute classic or not?

11. Robbie Clark

Robbie Clark
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I think it's a solid movie with a good story, characters, action, and just enough, but not too much, set up for a sequel. It is basically a remake of Star Wars, but I'm fine with that.

12. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I thought it was good, but not great like so many of the reviews said.

My problems:

- Kylo Ren, mainly in the second half of the movie just didn't work at all for me.
    - A lot of the dialogue fell flat.
    - Bad light saber fights

- Rey became way too good with her light saber way, way too fast. Kylo Ren should almost killed her and she should have barely escaped.
    - Did they really need to blow up another death star? Fuck that shit.
    - "I thought the Jedi were a myth." Wait, what? The original trilogy happened like 20 years after the Empire was formed. The new one is like 40-50 years later. Yeah man, and I thought the Soviet Union was a myth too. You mean that shit was for realz?

That being said I loved Rey and Finn as additions to the cast. Very good characters, and most of the plot was enjoyable. Overall, I think it's actually a weaker movie than Revenge of the Sith and certainly not up to The Empire Strikes Back, but it was much better than The Phantom Menace. They have two more movies to improve upon the first so I'm looking forward to what happens from here.

I'm going to say no, but we will see with the next two.

The funniest part of the movie was when everyone started clapping at the end and my brother blurted out really loud "They can't hear you, you morons."

Obviously they knew that, but it still cracked me up for some reason.

13. Misanthropic

Misanthropic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I saw it yesterday, and based on my reaction, I'm curious if the older members of the TiB felt the same way I did.

I saw A New Hope nearly 40 years ago when I was 10, and I've been waiting about 30 years to find out what happened next. I was huge into Star Wars as a kid (action figures comic books, trading cards, a sheet and blanket set - all of which would be worth a goddamn fortune if I still had them).

Watching that movie made me feel like a kid again. Seeing those characters that I loved as a child back on the screen made me tear up, I have to confess.

And J.J. Abrams - you brought Star Wars back to what it once was, after Mr. Lucas wandered into Nicktoons territory. I have deep and unresolved feeling for you..

14. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I am with you 100%. Well, except for that last sentence.

The general kid feel I had watching this one was such a polar opposite of how I felt after watching Phantom Menace. I left that movie thinking, "What the hell just happened? That was terrible. Have I been delusional all these years thinking Star Wars was so great?" But, then I left Force Awakens sort of nodding to myself, a little grin, thinking "THAT's why I love Star Wars." It was not a perfect movie, but I am delighted with how well JJ, and Kathleen Kennedy, and everyone involved handled this. (I thought Carrie Fisher's effort was weak, but whatever. That may not have been entirely her fault.) After PM, I could've cared less about seeing the next two on opening night, or at all, really. But, now, I can't wait for episode VIII.

15. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Yep. I cried. Might not be the tech leap forward of the original, but it was the same level of fun storytelling.

16. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

One of the things I've tried to explain to younger people watching or hearing about Star Wars (New Hope) for the first time (or, heaven forbid, watching episode I before Episode IV), was how incredible that film-making leap was for effects, and how so much future technology in the film industry came from those first 3 movies. And, that's actually one of the things I thought JJ did so well - he actually used modern technology, but incorporated some old-style techniques and looks to create the feel of the original three, instead of being lured to make it all slick.

17. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

18. Noland

Noland
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I liked it. Mostly forgettable, but fun.

One thing that will stick with me is that I no longer want to see Leia in a metal bikini. What the fuck did Carrie Fisher do to her face?

19. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

What she did was lose at least 50 pounds. Probably by smoking a pack a day.

20. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

And, this time, she did it without the help of cocaine.

[​IMG]