Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Star Wars: Episode VII Discussion

Discussion in 'Pop Culture Board' started by Parker, Oct 19, 2015.

1. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Isnt that the crux of the series though? The Dark side vs the Light? I'm probably to cynical though, its not Shakespeare after all, its a space opera.

2. bebop007

bebop007
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I just viewed that more as the wheel that keeps the plot turning more than anything. Alec Guinness made it sound compelling. But once he died, I think they gave up any real pretense of trying iron out the implications/depth of the "balance" and the struggle between the Light Side and Dark Side. At least in the movies, anyway. Some of the video games made the juxtaposition between Light and Dark (plus emergence of "Grey" jedis) interesting, but I'm not really expecting that in the movies.

3. Currer Bell

Currer Bell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Saw it. I am too tired to write anything meaningful, but I really liked it. Enjoyable plot, the original gang were great, the new kids were more likeable than I thought they would be, and Lucasfilm continues to outdo itself because the whole thing was visually STUNNING.

4. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Fucking loved it. Awesome.
    Planetary physics? If they destroy the sun of a system, isn't gravity going to start warping stuff and messing the orbits up, like immediately?

5. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

I didnt like how she was amazing with her lightsaber immediately. Even Luke and Anakin, who is supposedly the most force sensitive person ever needed to be trained on it.

6. Currer Bell

Currer Bell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

That's come up, but I think that even if she's never used a lightsaber, she does have experience wielding a stick. She had that rod she was carrying around on Pakka (?).

I was more skeptical of her knowing about the Jedi mind trick, although that could be explained by her hearing all the old stories.

7. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Luke was a pussy farm boy, Anakin was a kid.

Jakku, I think.

Kylo Ren, who is all loosey-goosey with his "power" tried to tap in her mind. Obviously, the power goes both ways once you open the inter-brain connection, and he didn't know how to stop the flow back in his direction. So, she tapped him right back, shut him down, and absorbed some knowledge.

8. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

The jedi mind trick thing made sense to me, she probably didnt know she had it in her until Kylo tried it on her. And if the theory is true, they are both descended from Darth Vader and will be likely equal in their strength. Also they made it somewhat clear in the prequels that a lot of people have force sensitivity or straight up force powers, they just dont know what to do with them or harness them until they are trained by Jedi or Sith.

Kind of like a retarded kid wouldnt know what to do with his super human strength until you get him under a barbell at the special olympics.

The stand-out thing in general though is how great Harrison Ford was. He didnt seem tired and worn out the way he did in Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. He seemed genuinely excited to play Han Solo again and he stole the film.

9. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

He was so much better than Carrie Fisher, it wasn't funny. He moved like an old man, noticeably, when popping through doors or rubble piles, but he really did embrace the part. Carrie Fisher seemed bothered that she had to show up. When she walked out to greet Rey
    after Han died
    , the way she walked, compared to the way Daisy Ridley walked? It was like that scene in Taladega Nights when Ricky Bobby says "I don't know what to do with my hands." She was trying to act like she was walking slow and somber instead of just walking slow and somber. Maybe that was JJ's fault, and he wasn't sure how to coax better from her. The combination she brought to the first three - the quick-witted remarks and fierce empowerment that blended with her moments of tenderness - were gone, imo.

10. zzr

zzr
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm a 45 year-old-guy, original Star Wars fan.

Rey was very familiar with Jedi legends, so she almost definitely knew about the mind trick. She just put it into action after Han confirmed that Luke was a real person and the stories were true.

Harrison Ford made the movie. Han Solo was always my favorite character.

I choked up when Leia and Han were talking about their son.

I audibly gasped during the scene on the bridge (no spoilers). I have never done that in a movie before. It was the sound I would make if someone punched me, because that's how it felt.

I loved this movie. I thought it was perfect and I can't wait for the next one. Thank you JJ Abrams for bringing back our childhood. If you ever played with a tie fighter with the pop-off panels you know what I'm talking about.

11. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I think a lot of performance had to do with maybe with the fact that she had to lose an ton of weight for someone of her height. She ballooned up the last decade or so. She looked really good but maybe she couldn't get passed the weight thing? I dunno.

Something else that I loved about the movie was they even got the sounds perfect. You know exactly what a Tai(sp) fighter sounds like. So when its coming in the distance you get to react the same way as the people on screen do.

I think I was sitting right to a subwoofer in the theater last night and I really felt the light sabers. Awesome.

12. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I thought the opposite of what happened was going to happen. The dialogue from Ren made me think he was going to force Han to Ren.

There was a TON of that in there. So completely better than the jizz spatter of effects that was Episode I. In one of the x-wing sequences, Poe banked to the left, and a strap sort of floated out behind his head, to make the motion realistic. (At least, I think that happened. I haven't seen it again, yet. Plus, I never have figured out the whole flying around in space, is there gravity / is there not gravity, thing within their galaxy.)

Good fun, all around.

13. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

I liked the ending, even if it was a bit formulaic. It would have been awesome if when Rey handed him his light saber, Luke whipped out a red light saber from under his cloak. People would have flipped out.

14. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The morbid part of me was hoping that she would find him as a drunken mess sitting in a pair of Dolphins boxers, drinking straight from a bottle of Jack and being verbally abusive to whoever was around.

A man can dream, right?

And then Episode 8 can be "The Force Rehabilitates"

15. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I know it's only opening night tonight, and you should assume everyone that would be reading this forum has already seen it two or three weeks ago, but, I mean, spoiler alert, dude.

16. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Fuck that, it plays by the same rules as any of the other movie or tv show thread. It's out, spoilers are fair game.

17. NatCH

NatCH
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

You know what I really missed, right off the bat?

This motherfucker right here:

I know that can't be helped due to Disney owning it now, but it was always part of the movie to me. It was a fanfare that got your mind cleared of the previews and shitty CGI Regal rollercoaster, and ready for the first note of the soundtrack.

Also, props to Mark Hamill - easy payday!

18. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

OK. Just thought it would be courteous to wait 24 hours after opening night, and thought that WAS the rules, based on the first post in the "recent movie" thread.

19. NatCH

NatCH
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

So my girlfriend is out of town, and I'm bored, and decided to see it again. The first time since the original films that I've wanted to see any of them multiple times, so that's a plus. Might go see it again on Christmas since I'll be on my own then as well.

I'm gonna keep the rest in spoilers, just some cool stuff I noticed this time around.

-Rey has a little handmade doll on Jakku that is obviously modeled after a Rebel Alliance fighter - first time I saw it I just thought it was a weird voodoo doll.
    -Adam Driver's Kylo Ren voice could be described as "Evil Daft Punk."
    -The Force Dream went by so fast that I didn't catch most of it the first time. It starts in the corridor on Cloud City, then you can hear Yoda's voice says "It surrounds us, and binds us..." and Luke's classic "NOOOOO!!!" and then something right after that I couldn't make out...then Obi-wan saying "Rey," and either Obi-wan or Luke whispering "These are your first steps" as she comes out of it.
    -My thoughts as to why she was proficient with the lightsaber - her skill definitely improves after she starts tapping into the force - and she starts openly attacking him first, which makes me think she was tapping into the dark side. And then the earth opens up and splits them apart, so she wasn't fully consumed by it.

#39 NatCH, Dec 20, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2015
  20. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

So are we supposed to know her bloodline now or will that be revealed in the next movie?

Or am I being dense and should know already?