Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Star Wars: Episode VII Discussion

Discussion in 'Pop Culture Board' started by Parker, Oct 19, 2015.

1. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I think it's new news, and tickets go on sale right after this second trailer rumor has it.

2. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Really?! The possibility of a resale market for movie tickets is crazy and exhilarating. There's been some suck ass entertainment slapped out in the theatres the past several years, with a few worthwhile gems here and there. The fact that there could be a movie that is sold out in advance of its actual release, or commands the attention from the scalper market is pretty cool for the industry. If I were a theater owner, I'd just block that whole weekend off and show it on every screen I had, 24 hours a day.

3. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Well that's what my in the industry film nerd friend told me and he's not even a Star Wars nerd.

4. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

TICKETS ARE ON SALE NOW. My friend just bought IMAX 3D Tickets.

5. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

(Watches trailer) yes we are.

6. Robbie Clark

Robbie Clark
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Speaking of.

7. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yes, absolutely. Have you met "people?" People camp out overnight for days for the new iPhone release. People dress up in costume to go see movies. People put down deposits and pay huge markups to be the first one to own a new generation of a certain car. Do you honestly think "people" won't pay extra for the privilege of seeing it before other people?

I bought four tickets to the first show on the Thursday screening day before the Friday release. I'll either be there (high five!) or sell to the highest bidder (mo money!).

8. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

So does anybody else think Luke is actually the villain? Because I do.

They signed on the guy who directed Jurassic World to helm the second (eight) film. Jesus CHRIST. Talk about not giving a fuck.

9. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Like Luke is who Ren is talking to (working for) when he says "I will finish what you started"? Clearly, there's another villain, we didn't see Luke in any trailer or the poster, and Luke is mostly likely to have had access to the melted Vader helmet. But, in the poster and in the trailer, the light saber that Ren has is all jaggedy at the edges, like it was built by someone who's not quite right or doesn't quite have the formula or whatever, and is equally jaggedy in their mental state. If Luke was in cahoots with Ren, wouldn't he know how to correctly build a light saber? What's your theory for the motivation for Luke to go to the Dark Side? Some catastrophic event that turned him?

10. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

11. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Leia can teach about the force, since it's more than obvious in the teaser that she's a Jedi now. And that girl is probably her's and Han's daughter.

12. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Its a big movie that will probably generate a lot of discussion, so moving the posts here.

I read somewhere that Luke isnt evil at the beginning of Episode 7, but that hes been MIA for over a decade in order to bring balance to the force since he didnt want to fall victim to the dark side like his father and that theres no Sith to balance out him being the last Jedi. Obviously its pure conjecture, but it sounds plausible. Hes already been spotted on-site for Episode 8, so he probably wont die, or if he does he'll be a Force ghost.

13. iczorro

iczorro
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Luke is in the trailer, but only for a second. Hooded guy putting his mechanical right hand on R2D2's head? Luke.

14. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I wrote that wrong. I just meant we don't see his face. He's also in the trailer talking.

I think we're not seeing him fully because his appearance is so different for some reason. The hand on R2D2 is obviously different than the last mechanical hand we saw him have, so what else has changed?

15. silway

silway
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Obviously they can now do what they want free of Lucas, but at least up until he sold the company the Force became balanced when Palpatine was killed, which fulfilled the Prophecy of the Chosen One. The Force is, by default, balanced, and the Dark Side is what unbalances it. Thus, Anakin Skywalker finally brought that balance when he killed Palpatine years later, not when he went evil and made the Dark Side at least co-equal with the Light in the galaxy.

Now, Lucas doesn't own the universe anymore so they can ignore all of that if they wish (and it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world), but that's why it's less plausible to me.

16. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Disney is going to end up fucking up this franchise. They are up to 12 movies with all the spin offs they have green lit. Abrams at least has proven himself a talented story teller in tv and movie formats. Jurassic World was a brainless piece of shit that came out as watchable.

17. Coke Bottle Casualty

Coke Bottle Casualty
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Trailer released in Japan. There's some footage that's absent from the North American one.

18. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I am so freaking excited for this. Less than a week!

Is anybody else going to a Thursday night screening?

19. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

I think its going to be mediocre, from what Ive seen. Any time a movie franchise has been rebooted, its resulted in fan service bullshit. "Hey remember when XYZ happened thirty years ago???" Maybe it wont be that, Abrams rebooted Star Trek decently, but just had to put in a ham fisted cameo by Leonard Nimoy.

20. bebop007

bebop007
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

See - I think this movie is going to be great because of this. I won't claim to be the biggest JJ Abrams fan, but I'll give the dude credit. He knows how to do one thing right - Rollercoaster Rides.

And that's really what Star Wars is at the end of the day. No ethical/moral quandaries to explore. Just explosions, laser sword wielding future space monks, and outer space ship battles.

I'm will to overlook copious amounts of lens flare for all of the above.