Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Stand up

Discussion in 'Pop Culture Board' started by pincinelly, Oct 20, 2009.

1. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

#61 Parker, Feb 18, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  2. Celos

Celos
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

More of a feel-good act, rather then a laugh out loud one, but I like this guy:

#62 Celos, Feb 19, 2011
  3. KIMaster

KIMaster
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Oh God.

I had never heard of her before a couple weeks ago, when she appeared on the Adam Carolla Podcast. I remember her for one reason; Iliza was a fucking trainwreck, the worst guest they have EVER had on the show. She was about as funny as cancer, and about as genial as herpes.

I still remember one of the first things she said to Adam, without a trace of humor or self-irony; "I'm only a 6.5 physically, but since my personality is so awesome, the guy has to be a 10 physically".

I wasn't even the only person who felt this way; the comments on the page were hilarious;

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.adamcarolla.com/ACPBlog/2011/02/08/iliza-shlesinger-2/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.adamcarolla.com/ACPBlog/2011 ... esinger-2/</a>

If I had that much air-brushing done, I would probably look like a 6' 5" cover model, too. Here's what she actually looks like in real life;

[​IMG]

Moderately cute, nothing more.

Another woman who bombed on the Adam Carolla podcast, and is only making a living because of her looks. Guess "Last Comic Standing" just sucks that bad.

It's funny, but Adam's current news girl, Alison Rosen, is actually miles ahead of both girls in terms of her stand-up;

Not saying it's good, but at least that's a respectable stand-up set, instead of something that reminds me of Kathy Griffin crossed with Margaret Cho.

#63 KIMaster, Feb 19, 2011
  4. konatown

konatown
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Patrice O'Neal has a new special out on Comedy Central tonight. He's been one of my favorite, relatively unknown and underrated comics for a long time. Just a shame its on the network of shit comedy and censorship.

5. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I saw Patrice O'Neal live, he just sat there and started talking about shit. Fucking hilarious. I doubt he even had an idea of what he was going to do. He just had a drink, sat down and started bullshitting. His only little gaffe was using faggot and gay too much right in front of 3 obvious gay guys in a very small venue. He apologized after, but it kinda threw off the mood. He played the crowd excellently and I laughed my ass off. Fuck, just missed the special.

6. Beefy Phil

Beefy Phil
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

NYC people, Google 'Sorta Secret Comedy'. They run living room shows out of Astoria and a few Brooklyn venues. I went tonight. Really solid non-famous comics do 15 minutes each, and $10 gets you all the Yuengling you can drink. A much better, cheaper way to see weekend stand-up than dropping $40+ at a Manhattan club. Give it a shot.

7. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'll agree that Iliza came off as a fucking bitch on the podcast but after watching some youtube videos of her, her stand up seems pretty decent. Nothing amazing, but much more fine tuned than that Rosen clip you posted. Totally agree with your sentiment on Leggero, she was the worst of the try out replacements for Teresa by far. I miss Teresa, she had really good timing with Adam, but Rosen will eventually get it (I actually like how her and Bald Brian snipe at each other like teenagers).

Has anyone been to any of Carollas stand up shows? It seems like more of a comedy show than a stand up routine.

8. KIMaster

KIMaster
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Really? I hated Teresa, who was unfunny and made the show worse, but I think Alison is excellent. She is quick-witted, doesn't take the spotlight away from Adam, is frequently funny, and never says anything stupid. Her only defect is that she doesn't have much of a "radio voice"; but overall, she is a massive improvement.

Focus-

Huge fan of Sean Lock;

#68 KIMaster, Feb 20, 2011
  9. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I think I'm going to see Adam Carolla as he comes to a venue in Chicago in March. I've been whoring his podcasts recently since I haven't had shit else to do. I wish he'd do one of the live podcast taping shows in Chicago like he did recently but that's rare. Since I don't go to concerts I'm going to whore some serious stand-up, especially since I have an in at our local venue Zanies. Another female comic who isn't very attractive but she killed at one of the roasts is Whitney Cummings. She's sort of like Chelsea Lately, but isn't shit.

I haven't heard a lot about Sean Rouse, not sure if anyone mentioned him but I wish he did more stuff. I know he was on the Insomiac Tour and some other things.

#69 Parker, Feb 20, 2011
  10. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Further evidence why Anthony Jeselnik is fucking hilarious:

#70 Juice, Mar 22, 2011
  11. Mexicutioner

Mexicutioner
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I've done open mic night three times since about this time last year and have had all of them recorded. It's just a fun hobby of mine, something that my best friend convinced me to give a shot shortly before he passed away. I sort of do it as a way to make sure I never forget about the dude, as sort of a tribute. I've had a good time and have gotten all sorts of feedback, good and bad. I've posted this in the rant and rave but thought it would be fitting to post here. Let me know what you guys think.

#71 Mexicutioner, May 25, 2011
  12. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Anyone catch the Wyatt Cenac hour that appear two weekends ago on CC? It was okay. He definitely would not have gotten that if he wasn't on the Daily Show.

13. shabamon

shabamon
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I saw DL Hughley perform in Newport, KY a couple weeks ago. His material was hit and miss, and I definitely cringed when he used the "who's going to build the wall between US and Mexico?" joke that Carlos Mencia stole from another comic. However he killed when he started roasting the people who sat close to the stage, much like he did in "Kings of Comedy", even calling a black guy with a short attention span "Radio" for the rest of the night.

$20 to get a picture with him after the show. I know he was trying to help out his professional photographer friend, but yeesh.

14. TheDward

TheDward
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

I'm surprised no one here has mentioned Eugene Mirman. I haven't seen an act of his that I dislike, at least not yet. He recently made headlines by purchasing ads in several NY newspapers explaining his recent issues with Time Warner Cable. Here is a video of him reading the letter:

There's also this hilarious video of him destroying two hecklers onstage. For some reason its on Ebaumsworld:

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/80530184/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/80530184/</a>

#74 TheDward, May 29, 2011
  15. shauncorleone

shauncorleone
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

If you listen to/watch enough Anthony Jeselnik to get a handle on his timing, it makes his Twitter activity that much mo betta:

16. Ins

Ins
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

#76 Ins, Jun 8, 2011
  17. JeffPrevails

JeffPrevails
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

I've been a fan of Patrice O'neal for a while, since I used to listen to Opie and Anthony when it was on free radio here in Vegas. However, his hour special was pretty underwhelming and didn't show off his talent as well as even his comedy central half hour from a few years back. Still love the guy, hope he got paid well.

On the other hand, Anthony Jeselnik's Shakespeare is great and I recommend anybody download/buy it. Also Hannibal Burress' My Name Is Hannibal and of course anything Louis C.K. does.

edit: forgot to mention: Doug Stanhope Oslo- Burning the Bridge to Nowhere

18. AlmostGaunt

AlmostGaunt
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

On a board full of Canadians no-one mentions Russell Peters? For shame! Undoubtedly the funniest comic I have ever seen live. You really need to see his shows in their entirety to do him justice, as he does great running jokes. These give you a taste though. Good-natured but fearless racial humour.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, Jimmy Carr. Just beautiful, deadpan one-liners. I can't find the best clips while at work, but this should give you a taste:

Torrents of Telling Jokes and his other shows are readily available, and I would wager a lot of money that just about every person on this board will laugh out loud repeatedly.

#78 AlmostGaunt, Jun 13, 2011
  19. Stealth

Stealth
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

#79 Stealth, Jun 19, 2011
  20. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Just watched Christopher Titus's Neverlution. It was fucking awesome. I've been rather cool on him since his show was on and his last stand-up. Neverlution fucking killed it. Too bad he got in trouble for making a joke about killing Palin if she became President on Adam Carolla's podcast.