Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

St. Patrick's Day (Drinks)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by shegirl, Mar 11, 2010.

1. Psychodyne

Psychodyne
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Okay, but what's stout and cider then? A Black Out? Hmmm...

Anyone who gives that to you is an asshole. That's a shot I would expect to be given by someone who didn't like me.

2. Nettie

Nettie
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Poor Man's Black Velvet is what I've always heard it called.

3. Joe-Diddle

Joe-Diddle
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

I haven't drank since January 9th because of my three month training camp. I'll be spending St Patrick's Day getting beaten up by my Irish training partner and weeping as I gaze longingly into space for a pint of Guinness and some Irish car bombs.

4. Samr

Samr
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

This drink does not have Irish origins (unless you count the ghetto and rap culture) but it certainly is green without the food coloring, so I'm thinking this may be appropriate:

The Incredible Hulk
    equal parts Hpnotiq and Hennessy

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. NeonWraith

NeonWraith
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

It's not really celebrated over here (yay for the north of England), so I'll most likely just have some Guinness at home.

Speaking of Guinness, how good is it over in the US? I've always been curious as it's a generally accepted fact over here that Guinness just *does not* travel well, and gets nicer the closer you are to Dublin.

6. TPapp

TPapp
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I'll most likely end up getting hammered on Irish Car Bombs since I don't work until 1pm the next day. Woohoo!

7. TPapp

TPapp
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

My roommate told me that the Guinness we have in the States doesn't even compare to the Guinness you guys have. You've got it good when it comes to the thick, black sludge.

8. Solaris

Solaris
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

You'd be surprised how bad it can be in England too. It's usually poured totally incorrectly too. Hell you'd be surprised just how big a difference there can be between Dublin and Belfast too with regards too taste. Clearly, most important is the tap set up and age, but distance is a hell of a factor too.

9. NeonWraith

NeonWraith
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

I live in a student town, it's not like terrible, TERRIBLE bars are anything new to me.

Anyone actually know why specifically Guinness doesn't seem to travel too well? I've never actually seen a particularly good explanation.

10. Solaris

Solaris
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I grew up in Burnley just outside Manchester, since I moved to Belfast I can't stand the Guinness back home any more. After tipping the barstaff though, sometimes they let me pour it myself which is better.

Most important for a good Guinness I think is a good set up. Generally bars in England don't sell much of it, so don't invest in the proper line set up or training the staff. For a good Guinness you need fresh kegs that constantly have the stuff flowing through them. If you're only going through a keg every couple of days or so, it's going to taste like shit.

11. ghettoastronaut

ghettoastronaut
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

So how does that translate to draught in cans / bottles? I mean, as long as it's still made in the same brewery it shouldn't be any different, unless the Guiness folk know which batches are shit and send those to North America.

I've usually regarded the whole "Guinness tastes better in Ireland" thing as one of those myths that snobby white people like to propagate amongst themselves, but I've read more and more convinving testimony that the stuff really does taste different (i.e. much less bitter), not just "better".

12. CharlesJohnson

CharlesJohnson
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Agreed. I always assumed it was horse shit until too many people said otherwise. My guess is the low alcohol content gives it a short shelf life. Guinness is only 4.4%. Generally, the higher the alcohol content the more robust the beer is, the longer it will last along with a good hop profile. Guinness has neither.

You know I still hear dipshits say it has cow blood in it. That's fucking stupid. And people complain how heavy it is. It's 120 fucking calories with 4.4% alcohol, same as Bud Light. It's got roasted malt and black patent malt. That heaviness you're experiencing is called flavor. You should be so lucky to have such a fine replacement for your lucky charms when milk runs out.

13. Wadget

Wadget
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Over here (or at least in the club where I asked for one) a snakebite is half Carlton Draught, half Strongbow and topped with raspberry flavouring/colouring.

It should also be noted that it taste like a busted asshole.

14. Solaris

Solaris
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

The cans and bottles are generally pretty poor everywhere, x10 if you drink it out of the can.

But yeah, the first time I went down to Dublin I was utterly amazed at how nice the Guinness was, granted in another bar it wasn't as good, but the best pint of my life has been in Dublin no doubt about it.

15. Drewpy

Drewpy
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

I was just in Savannah last weekend! It was pretty awesome. I actually had a rugby tournament and I stayed my whole spring break.

I played in that! What team do you play for?