Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

St. Patrick's Day (Drinks)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by shegirl, Mar 11, 2010.

1. shegirl

shegirl
    Expand Collapse
    Redemption Seeking Whore

Hiding behind the bushes and waiting for you to get home, like every year.

2. Decatur Dave

Decatur Dave
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I have to stay away from pretty much an liquor other than tequila these days, so a half and half is the perfect drink for me on St. Patties.

[​IMG]

Pretty much anything stacked with Guinness is great though. When I want something girly, put it on top of a cherry Sam Adams, or a raspberry Framboise.

The plan for St. Patties is the same as every year, head to Savannah. Whether or not I make it is another story, depends which day we start drinking.

3. Primer

Primer
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

What is that concoction that is half Guinness and half Strongbow?

I'll be doing about a dozen of those.

4. Psychodyne

Psychodyne
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I think that's called a Snakebite. I know some people call it a Black Velvet, but I'm pretty sure thats Guinness with champaigne/sparkling wine.

Johnny Jump Ups are on my menu. A shot of Jameson in a glass of Strongbow/cider. It's like heaven meets Tir na n-Og.

5. Natty

Natty
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Definitely called a snake bite, and they are fuckin delicious. Since I have little a life I'll likely take my little homie EO to the dog park, as it will be his 2nd birthday and go be the old guy at the local college bar.

6. ghettoastronaut

ghettoastronaut
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'll be going around making statements that, while offensive on the surface, are in fact representative of Ireland.

Break my kneecaps with a power drill, I'm Irish!

I have also recently discovered that I like Guinness. I think I may indulge in said delicious beverage next Wednesday. Sadly, although I have no class, I stupidly made some appointments that morning, so the drinking won't start until it's merely moderately unacceptable to imbibe on a weekday.

7. amberisma

amberisma
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

The bars around here open at 5:30am. Will be there at that time drinking and will probably just pull an all-nighter since there is a Patty's Day bar crawl the night before. I will probably be drinking car bombs all day.

I have 4 classes that day and I plan on going to zero of them.

8. fleafly

fleafly
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

St. Patrick's Day is all about drinking Guinness and doing Irish car bombs! Unfortunatly this year I might be doing so alone. I'll be on-site in Mt. Pulaski, IL for work but i'm hoping i'll be able to find somewhere with corned beef and cabbage, and attractive women to hit on!

9. Viking33

Viking33
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I'll be here in Savannah. Our spring break starts tonight and we have the St Patty's Rugby tournament all weekend. 80+ teams, girls, booze and shenanigans all weekend and not stopping until next Sunday!

10. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

When I drink on St. Paddy's I have always been a traditionalist: Beer or whiskey. Combine the two to make the fun-filled morality thunderfuck known as the Boilermaker. Proceed to pick fight with mailbox.

Nothing will ever top Chicago in '06, though. I have yet to see Boston, though. Check out the sweet London Knights jersey:

[​IMG]

11. Costello

Costello
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Irish car bombs are OK, although heavy on the stomach. I once (aged 16, before I knew better) tried to make one by pouring the Baileys into the glass first, followed by a can of Guinness. Yeah, it curdled and I learnt my lesson, but dammit I still finished my pint of creamy suds.

I live in a shit English town which happens to have a high proportion of 1st- and 2nd-gen Irish (including myself), so St Patrick's is the best day of the year here. Falling on a Wednesday means probably fewer numbers, but it's a day on which anything can happen and I'll be on a steady Guinness flow from midday to sunrise to make the most of it.

Went to see this semi-local band (the Biblecode Sundays) last week as a kind of Paddy's warm-up. Decent Irish-influenced rock, and the singer happens to be Elvis Costello's (fat, less talented) brother:

#11 Costello, Mar 11, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  12. pterodactyl

pterodactyl
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

St Patricks Day is awesome. Some town here has the worlds largest shamrock painted on the intersection of 2 highways that cross in the town, and declares itself the Irish Capitol of Nebraska. The town is like 3,000 people but on St. Patty's Day weekend its more like 15,000 packed into the campgrounds around town and everyone is drunk.

Shots of Jameson, Irish Car Bombs and Smithwicks for my beer of choice.

I ordered an Irish Car Bomb once and the bartender gave me a Boilermaker instead. I don't remember much of the rest of the night. I woke up a hour late for work and showed up smelling like the gutter.

13. ghettoastronaut

ghettoastronaut
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Bah. I tried to make some Half-n-Halfs tonight (Harp + Guinness in the style of a Black and Tan) and failed miserably. They just mixed together into one deliciously dark, creamy yet crisp beverage. Win-win, I'd say.

14. mya

mya
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I have to take my national Board examination so I get licensed to practice. So last week when I FINALLY got notice that I as eligible to test (after graduating in December) I went online to schedule my test and the first available date was on next Thursday. So I obviously I jumped on it and scheduled the test date. Turns out that the Thursday is March 18. Well......that didn't work out very well. Guess what I will do on St. Paddy's Day, aka the best holiday all year and the anniversary of me and my husband's first date (OK, so we got plastered and made out for the first time, but years have passed and we are married so that is how the story is now told)?

15. Volo

Volo
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I never thought TiB would change my life, but here we are. How the fuck have I not heard of this before?

FOCUS: Straight whiskey, although I'm undecided on the brand as of yet. Oh yes, and half and halfs, which should make for an interesting night.

16. 2PumpChump

2PumpChump
    Expand Collapse
    Should still be lurking

My friend offered me a ticket to see Flogging Molly. Yes, FLOGGING FUCKIN MOLLY on St Patricks Day, I can't think of a better way to spend the day. I am just hoping my excitement, combined with lots of green beer doesn’t put me face down somewhere before the show starts.

17. Ton80

Ton80
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I have to be bitchy about this because a proper snakebite is awesome.

Snakebite = half lager (Only Harp will do) and half cider.
    Black and Tan = ale and stout
    Half and Half = Lager and stout (in this case, harp and guiness)
    Black velvet = stout and champagne

18. zackgb

zackgb
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

I wish those are what you got when you ordered a snakebite around here.

They like to give out a shot with tabasco, jack daniels and tequila. ugh

19. lust4life

lust4life
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Alt. Focus: Getting a haircut, working on a paper, and drinking green tea. Slainte!

20. Guy Fawkes

Guy Fawkes
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Irish Handjob (because you'll feel horrible but it gets the job done)

Shot of Jamesons in a pint glass then fill the glass with Guinness so the whiskey gets blended in nicely. Tastes great and will get you fuuuuuucked up.