Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Splurging

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bewildered, Jun 6, 2011.

1. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Anything "purchase" I make. I'm the kind of guy who would rather go without, or drive a piece of shit used/free product into the ground, than buy something of middling quality. I get much more enjoyment and satisfaction out of one high quality item than I would two mediocre items that together add up to the same cost.

But specifically computers. I only buy one once every four or five years, but when I do I make sure it's a beast and will take abuse for the next half decade.

2. eric

eric
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I'm generally a tightwad, but there are certain items that we I (we) splurge on.

Food is at the top of the list. We still try to buy food that's on sale, but generally I'll spend the extra money for a t-bone with good marbling over a cheap cut of steak. Why have chewy dairy cow when you can have cow sashimi. Our weekly food bills typically end up around $250, and its only two of us. Likewise, when we go out we generally spend $200~$300 for a dinner. We only go out once every couple months, but I'd rather spend $200 at a sushi restaurant instead of $80 at East Side Marios. The worst offender is cheese. I'll drop $7 on a brick of 4 year old cheddar vs. pinching pennies and buying some orange plastic cheese. My latest obsessions is blue cheese, specifically Stilton blue cheese.

Technology wise, I tend to be a "buy-and-hold"; I aim for the upper level stuff without getting too crazy but hold onto it until things change sufficiently. Until a year ago our main TV was a Sony rear projection HD television, which we'd had for close to a decade. Now we have a pair of Sanyo 60" Quattron LCD TVs. So I splurge, but only once decade.