Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

South Park: Season 15

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Dmix3, Apr 27, 2011.

1. Celos

Celos
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

You listed a lot of stuff here, but having lots of references and jokes doesn't mean any of them are funny. Cartman trying to offer up Kyle and the Funnybot massacre scene got a laugh, the rest didn't do anything for me. And 2 funny jokes in a 20+ minute comedy show kinda makes me think "it sucked" (and yes, "funny" is a subjective term, but so is "it sucked").

2. Superfantastic

Superfantastic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Fair enough, but I didn't mean individual jokes as much as episode themes (that included multiple jokes), most of which I found funny.

The pissed-off Germans being pissed-off and telling their jokes didn't crack you up? The female German having a deeper/manlier voice than the males didn't make you chuckle? Even outside of the massacre and telling the one guy his hair looks like pussy, I thought Funnybot's other lines (especially the Adam Sandler burn) were pretty good ("the line is a non-sequitur perceived by imperfect beings. I am Funnybot"). Or the comedy awards show theme -- no great stand out lines ripping on it, but didn't you find it to be a timely and astute critique?

I know I'm nit-picking, but I just find it hard to believe anyone (not specific to you, but you included) with a sense of humour would watch that episode and only laugh twice. Makes me curious what other comedy everyone's watching.

3. shimmered

shimmered
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

We watched it at the end of the day, and didn't laugh once. Even Token couldn't save it for us. Lame.

4. hoju

hoju
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Every goddamn season, people bitch and moan about every single episode. There's nothing wrong with having an opinion, but bitching just because you either missed the point, missed the pop-culture reference, missed the political reference, etcetera is just...gay.

To wit:
    Two episodes in and this genius has it all figured out.

5. Frebis

Frebis
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

How many of you knew they were making fun of the Comedy Central awards? I legitimately had no clue. I didn't even know Comedy Central had an award show. It was explained to me by a friend that no one came to the show to accept an award.

This makes me wonder one thing- with all the shit going on in the world today, that everyone knows about, why would you chose to make an episode about an awards show no one knows about?

It kind of felt like a family guy episode. There were a million unrelated jokes packed into a 22 minute episode. None of which were all that funny.

6. Superfantastic

Superfantastic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Alright, I was gonna let it go...

Are you fucking serious? How self-absorbed can you get? YOU didn't happen to hear about the awards -- which aired only a couple weeks before the episode, with Trey and Matt winning one -- so that means NO ONE heard about them either, and therefore it's stupid and unfunny(?!) for them to make an episode about it? I watched them. So did a few other people, apparently. In fact, I could tell from the photo of Jimmy with an award on their website that they were gonna rip on the awards. But even if you didn't hear about them, doesn't their point (about 'comedy awards' being an oxymoron) still stand within the context of the episode? Jimmy wanting an award show and the kids saying it's stupid isn't exactly a complex plot. Yet from this, they got a Jimmy catch-phrase, pissed-off Germans, Cartman offering up Kyle, some funny fucking Funnybot lines, along with ripping on one of the biggest hacks in comedy -- all things that stand on their own. Again, I'm not saying this was some all-time great episode, but you'll forgive me if I don't give your sense of humour much credit if you can't laugh at something because you missed the easily-explained context.

As for your Family Guy comparison. Jebus, dude. Were you even watching the episode? Was there even one single random cut-away joke?

7. Frebis

Frebis
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I don't think you should post here again until you get Matt and Trey's cock out of your mouth.

There may not have been any cutaway scenes, but most of the jokes were anything but plot driven. Assuming there was a plot. I'm not quite sure about that.

8. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Settle. Stay on topic or I'll pull the car over.

9. Clutch

Clutch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm pretty sure that was supposed to be Angela Merkel.

10. Thorgouge

Thorgouge
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

To wit:
    Two episodes in and this genius has it all figured out.[/quote]

So, now do you want to retract this witty remark? Cancer is funnier than the shit I just watched.

11. hoju

hoju
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Obviously Thorgouge lacks the ability to quote properly, but his post was directed at me. I think.

I haven't watched the episode yet, so I can't give an opinion. What I can do is when I watch it, do so without a heightened expectation of seeing the most controversial, fucked up, groundbreaking, world changing episode the world has ever seen.

If you can't just watch a show without bitching about it after, why watch it? If you dont get the jokes, try looking up what they are making fun of. I didn't get the Pan Flute episode, but I talked to friends that deal with them and they thought it was spot on and hilarious. On the other end, some friends didn't get the NASCAR episode and I filled them in. Why not just keep an opened mind and investigate things (jokes) you don't understand?

Besides, Nett-God said quit yer bitchin'

12. The Dread Pirate

The Dread Pirate
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I don't set the bar any higher than other shows I watch, but this season has sucked pretty bad so far. The only thing I laughed at tonight was when the giant referred to Eskimos as "Polar Gooks."

13. mekka

mekka
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Apparently I'm in the minority, but I thought the episode was hilarious. Not one of the best ever, but easily the best of the season so far and one of the better ones of the past several seasons, all of which I've felt were fairly lackluster. I don't think South Park has necessarily fallen off, but rather we've all just become accustomed to it. It doesn't really push the envelope any more, so now it needs to be funny in a way beyond cartoon characters cursing, farting and dying gory deaths.

I didn't watch the royal wedding and found it insane that so many people did, and I still found the scenes involving the wedding hilarious. I laughed my ass off when the narrator was going on about Duchess of Calgary and the royal pudding being knocked over, and Scott going on about how much he hated eskimos was hilarious too (ice beaners, polar gooks).

To be fair though too, I thought the ending where the monster was tooth decay and basically the whole play sequence was pretty dumb. I hope to god that that wasn't their attempt at addressing the US getting OBL.

Full disclosure: I'm Canadian.

14. Whothehell

Whothehell
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I also thought the "little mushroom people of Nova Scotia" and baiting Scott with Kraft Dinner were pretty funny.

Also Canadian.

15. mekka

mekka
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I just read on IGN too that this was the lowest rated episode of the season thus far, which blows me away. Yeah there's only 3 episodes, but how you give this episode a 5.5 and Funnybot a 6.5 is beyond me. Funnybot was one of the least funny episodes South Park has ever made as far as I'm concerned. That said, I recognize how subjective humor is and that some people probably loved it...I'm just not one of those people.

16. Fernanthonies

Fernanthonies
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I just watched this last episode and thought it was pretty damn funny. I also assume that that is exactly what it is like in Canada.

I got a good chuckle every time the announcer mentioned something being, of course, tradition, or that it was a great day for Canada, and thus the world.

Also got some good laughs every time they called 'Scott' a huge dick, and the four boys equating Kyle's brother being a Knight in Canada to all of those other menial things.

17. Clutch

Clutch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The Royal Wedding thread was solid, but the tooth decay play was pure filler. How much time did they kill with that stupid song? There weren't even really any jokes in those parts.

18. Fernanthonies

Fernanthonies
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I thought that Mr. Mackey dropping the F Bomb at the kids was pretty funny at first (I watched it on southparkstudios.com, so it wasn't censored), but that did get old after a bit.

19. Superfantastic

Superfantastic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Ha, my roommate and I were actually hoping that Americans/non-Canadians would think that.

I don't know what there would be to complain about with this episode. The children's play wasn't a great story line, but Mr. Mackey freaking out at five year olds still made me smirk. Other than that, it had more-made-up-and-hilarious racist terms than I can remember, Scott The (now huge) Dick (a fave character of mine), and oh yeah, at the end of the wedding the groom ripped off the bride's arm and stuck it up his ass, to the joy of many, as is tradition.

But yeah, "funny as cancer" is a fair assessment. To repeat what hoju said, I have no idea why you haters even bother watching.

20. Rob4Broncos

Rob4Broncos
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The new season has been pretty lame so far. While I fucking hated the first two episodes, but I also know from experience to move on and look forward to next week.

That said, I'd put this week's episode in my top 15. Any episode that features Canada usually entertains me good deal, and this one had me laughing the entire time. The monotone observations of the commentator, butterscotch pudding, Cap'N Crunch, square wheels, The Little Mushroom People of Nova Scotia, the one tree in Edmonton, "as is tradition/this is definitely not tradition"...what wasn't to laugh at?

I don't think it was meant to be that funny. It was reminiscent of those stupid plays we all had to do at least once in kindergarden, with goofy songs about mundane topics. Early SP episodes thrived on "kids being kids," and this was another one of those times. And I don't know about anyone else, but I love the rare times that Mackey loses his shit.

Not to read heavily between the lines or anything, but I enjoyed the obvious parallels between tooth decay and Osama. "It's over, Mackey. We got him." Cue crying and rejoice. Made me chuckle.