Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Sons of Guns

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Nettdata, Feb 20, 2011.

1. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Just watched the first episode of the first season.

Seems quite interesting, and it was damn impressive to see that suppressed shotgun. It'd be interesting to be there and experience it live.

Then the old school cannon was pretty cool. Nothing new or fancy, but the fact that it was one of 12 originals that, like Will said, should be in the Smithsonian, was damn cool.

2. joule_thief

joule_thief
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I agree. The show has promise.

I'm pretty sure this would be the sort of business I would buy if I had the money. Why not make money and blow shit up?

If you haven't seen it yet, they build a M-2 machine gun in one of the episodes.

They also refurbish a flame thrower in one. I thought that was a pretty good episode.

3. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

That was a pretty cool episode.

They go to the museum and "run into" a Congressional Medal of Honour recipient. The daughter going "oh, nice pin... I collect pins..." and Will stepping in with a "hold on there hon, that's a Congressional Medal of Honour pin". (I say "run into" because I wonder how much of that was scripted or set up in advance, but still, very cool).

The veteran goes on to talk about using 6 of those flame throwers to take out 7 pill boxes, thus earning the award, and casually mentions he's still got a flame thrower at home.

Cue the rebuild of the flamethrower from a piece of junk to operational.

Then seeing the old fucker use it in the end at a simulated beach assault was awesome... he was really getting into it and having a blast.

4. The Dread Pirate

The Dread Pirate
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I may be in the minority here, but I cannot stand the show. To quote my friend after watching the first episode: "Total. Fucking. Clownshoes."

First off, the show lost all credibility with me when I saw the guys shoot at their little indoor range. I'm no Larry Vickers or Chris Costa, but that shit was painfully bad. It makes the firearms community look like a bunch of trigger-happy amateurs. They need to spend less money on toys and more money on training. Maybe then they'd make a decent product.

Which brings me to my next point: Not only does the show make the firearms industry look like a bunch of rednecks, the stuff they "engineer" is fucking stupid. Discovery tries to make it seem like their piece of shit creations are breaking new ground in the gun world when, in reality, they are sub-standard versions of old ideas. There's a reason people need to get these items custom made: because nobody else is dumb enough to want them.

The shotgun suppressor? Putting aside the fact that it is completely impractical, it's been done before. Even if it hadn't, there are a number of companies like AWC who could slap together a better suppressor in 30 seconds if there was actually a market for them. The "masterkey" was even more retarded. Instead of calling up KAC and buying a commercially available version, they modified an ARMS mount to make an abortion of a rifle.

Anyway, I understand why Discovery went with these guys. No respectable shop (Larue, Bravo Company, etc) would have let cameras into their business. It's just an invitation for ATF to come knock on your door. Plus, making the same high-quality weapons day in and day out isn't good reality TV. Basically, Sons of Guns is a redneck version of American Chopper.

5. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I know I love watching long form segments where nothing happens. The show is entertainment and the workers seem to generally know their shit. They could probably make it a bit more interesting if they had more realistic testing situations, firing into a fish tank filled with plastic pellets is just catering to the 'blowin shit up' crowd. I think the owner does have a good TV persona but I agree his delusions of grandeur are pretty fantastical and the only truly annoying thing I dislike about the show.

6. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I view it as Monster Garage based around firearms.

It's entertainment, pure and simple.

7. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

8. lhprop1

lhprop1
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

9. katokoch

katokoch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It can't just be the Discovery Channel making them look like idiots most of the time...

I watch the show occasionally but do my best not to take it seriously. From my perspective, bolting together tricked-out AKs and ARs isn't exactly rocket science or original... and only Discovery could turn it into a show. Seems like every other big project they have ends up like a gatling gun (Not two... but THREE AR-15s! THREE Saigas!) or a big ass cannon, and while that is cool in itself- there isn't much else in the show.

When I take a step back and think about it, of course DC wants them to make what will appeal to the widest audience and that is big, loud, fast guns. Sure, it makes sense, but then again I am just not that type and their overhyped projects are getting old.

Regardless, their "Moment of Truth" scenes are fucking retarded (WILL IT BLOW UP?!?!), and so is watching them try to operate the CNC mill. That is a joke.

If you can't tell, I just don't think the show represents gunsmiths and gun manufacturers very well, and DC had an opportunity to do so with this show but duh they prefer drama instead.

10. mad5427

mad5427
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Has anybody watched the other gun show, American Guns? It still has a bit of silliness like all of these types of reality shows, but it was much more tame and realistic. The episode I just saw had them building an 1866 Winchester Yellow Boy from scratch as only a few have been built since then. This show seems to go more into the history of the guns and actually shows some real gunsmith work.

There's a little less drama and it seems to be more about the history of guns and respecting and embracing the past instead of trying to just blow shit up and "innovate" weapons that nobody would ever really do.

11. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I watched part of the pilot for it and couldn't stand it. Just rubbed me the wrong way somehow.

I'd rather watch the redneck idiocy of Sons of Guns than that show.

12. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

No shit, they don't have any blanks or squibs on hand? I think the whole Saint's kicker scene was just as bad, at least they admitted it was edited nonsense in the show.

I thought American Guns was going to be a tad more sophisticated. I watched half an episode where they built a guy a hand cannon and it was the same buffoonery in that show.

13. katokoch

katokoch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

"btw, IT'S TV"

-Stephanie Haydon.

Smooth.

I want to see Discovery Channel shows combine and watch the idiots from Gold Mine switch jobs with the idiots in Sons of Guns.

As far as American Guns, they aren't the only ones making reproduction Yellow Boys- <a class="postlink" href="http://www.uberti.com/firearms/1866_yellowboy.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.uberti.com/firearms/1866_yellowboy.php</a> Some of the work they do is cool but they try to pass off crap like laser engraving as an incredible undertaking. The guy in charge of making the cylinders for the knuckle duster they made fucked up three of them and broke a bit in the process. For a place that supposedly specializes in pistol work, that's troubling to watch.

Thankfully this is in the gallery of the actual gun shop's website.

[​IMG]

Better than Stephanie.

14. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Uhh wow. They need a canned story line where she ends up sitting on my face. Subtle is the key.

15. lhprop1

lhprop1
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

She's 17.

16. katokoch

katokoch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Uhhhhh... I meant the owner's wife!

[​IMG]

...and her very fake looking rack.

17. lhprop1

lhprop1
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

. . . and her very fake looking lips, cheeks, eyes, tan . . .

She's got more plastic in her than a squirt gun.

18. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Plastic is fun to look at, too.

I watched season 1 of Sons of Guns, and found it enjoyable and entertaining. For every creation that is abjectly retarded (lunchbox gun), there was a cool restoration or historical weapon (like the flamethrower). They seem to embrace the "Hey y'all watch this shit!" redneck excitement of playing with cool toys. I'm not saying they are a respectable, serious, gun manufacturer at all. I'm saying they approach gun-building with a comic-nerd's enthusiasm not a professional stoicism or practicality.

Also, some of this shit is hilariously scripted. One episode where they built a remote controled AR featured "DB" a "security consultant in Afghanistan". The spy persona this pasty, fat guy tried to embody was hilarious.

I only saw episode one of American Guns. The guy Rich comes off as a sleazy douche. Also, I don't give a shit about how your gun store stays in business, nor do I care that your wife is a fake-titted accountant. And if you have a 17-year old daughter, make her wear more clothes on tv. It's creepy enough seeing her lean over a counter to show off beestings and a training bra to someone in his mid-50's buying a pistol.

19. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

She might have creepy eyes...but beestings?

I respectfully disagree.

Attached Files:

20. Danger Boy

Danger Boy
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

In a flyover state hoping your plane crashes
    Don't get me wrong, because I'd definitely fuck her (when she turns 18), but am I the only one who has noticed that this girl's neck is disproportionately long?

Bitch could deep-throat an entire rake handle.