Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Soda or pop.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by shegirl, May 5, 2010.

?

Do you call it soda or pop?

1. Soda

114 vote(s)
    45.1%
  2. Pop

75 vote(s)
    29.6%
  3. Soda pop

2 vote(s)
    0.8%
  4. Soder (if you live in a cardboard box under a bridge in the country)

3 vote(s)
    1.2%
  5. Coke- Even if it's Pepsi

54 vote(s)
    21.3%
  6. I'm just here to suck Diet Coke out of Chaters belly button

5 vote(s)
    2.0%
  1. ghettoastronaut

ghettoastronaut
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

[​IMG]

So really, only the Northern tip of the Eastern seaboard and California and some parts of the South-West use "soda", with a few isolated pockets of depravity in the middle. Boy do I sure feel outnumbered.

It also bears mentioning that, for soda being far and away the most popular lexicon, less than half of people on this board use it. I'm sorry that less than half of the population has to be dragged down to your level.

2. mrwarden

mrwarden
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

I'm sorry that you can't figure out that that map is made up. I've lived in 4 different states in the last 8 years, and literally the only people I encountered who used the term "pop" were from Chicago. Not even the rest of the state of Illinois. It's, at best, a mid-west thing in the United States. Can't speak to Canada.

I live in Texas, right now, and haven't heard pop or coke (unless they actually meant coke) used once, by anyone, in over 2 years.

FFS, did any of you actually go to the website in the map?

<a class="postlink" href="http://popvssoda.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://popvssoda.com/</a>

3. Crazy Wolf

Crazy Wolf
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Keep in mind that California, New York, Florida, and New England are where a huge percentage of Americans live. It's the dominant term in at least 1/3 of the USA, population-wise, and judging by the intensity of the coloration, most of those places it's close to the only term used. No one lives in Idaho, Montana, the Dakotas, Nebraska, or Wyoming, those are just holograms.

And really, why would you ever trust the Deep South with knowing proper terminology? I'm pleasantly surprised they don't refer to census workers as "revenoors".